My First Canyon Ride... :o

Detrich

Ok here's my hall of shame story for this week...

Did my first canyon ride this weekend with some friends up Azusa canyon. (yay!) This was only my 3rd time riding with a group, and we had about 10 or so people- with me being the only newbie... xP

Anyhow, the ride went fairly smoothly... I stayed at the very back of the pack cuz I simply couldn't keep up with those guys at all. (Not on the freeway where they were splitting traffic, nor on the canyon either.) I just went really slow at my own pace- averaging about 40-45 mph- since it was my first time on the twisties on a motorcycle. Was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the scenery! One of my friends was nice enough to ride behind me to make sure I was okay... And, that really helped out a lot, psychologically...

Anyhoo... All went well until when I got to the very top to the parking lot area and came to a full stop though... I didn't realize my body had become SO incredible tense and SO locked up that after I parked, for some reason my right hand went into a numb, death grip in neutral gear- right before I could cut the engine. For some reason I just couldn't let go of the throttle and the more I tried to let go, the more it was revving in neutral. And, the combo of panic and brain fart, I just tipped over to the left at a stand still... <lol>

SOOO friggen embarrassing with everyone watching. <ack!> But, they knew it was my first time, and they all came over to help me get up. They immediately knew what my problem was and told me that I needed to learn to try to relax my arms and hands on the straight-away sections of the road, cuz it's easy to tense up after all the continuous turns- concentrating so hard. Just total lack of experience on my part I guess. :(

Anyhoo... Again my Intuitive Racing frame slider saved my bike. A few minor scratches/ rashes to the left turn signal light, left mirror edge, clutch lever tip, and rear seat cowel- but all very small and not really a big deal. I'll cough it up to "growing pains" + "battle scars" I guess. With each fall, I'm learning something new and hopefully will get better because of it.

But, I'm really happy and excited I went on this ride, and I can't wait to go again. :)

It was super hot though, and I felt somewhat like a tool being the only one wearing full gear. (Everyone else just wore jeans, jacket, gloves.) But, I guess since I was the most inexperienced, I would've needed the protection the most- had anything happened. Just sucked that I had no problems riding, but brain-farted during parking... ahahaha LOL :eek:

Heineken

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

You went with the SCAR boyz?

I was gonna go but did a restoration on a YSR50 this weekend.

k6gad

Sounds to me that you did the right thing and rode your own pace. Take it easy enjoy and relax, the more experience you get the more fun you will have. Enjoyed reading about your canyon ride! Ciao!
Gary

Detrich

You went with the SCAR boyz?

I was gonna go but did a restoration on a YSR50 this weekend.
-----

nope... i haven't joined SCARS cuz they're way too advanced i think... i just went with my own group of friends + their friends from the bike meet...

speaking of which, on the way down, there was a chick on a white gsx-r in full gear that literally blew by me like nothing... she was really good.

right after she passed, i tried speeding up a little bit while i could still see her in front- to watch how she was riding and to see if i could learn something/ mimmick her motions a little bit- at safe speeds of course- for just 1 or 2 turns. suprisingly, when i followed her lines and leaned where she was leaning, i actually felt "one with the bike" for the very first time. it was surreal...

but, obviously she really pulled away in seconds, and i couldn't keep her in view. so i slowed back down to my own pace and tried to visualize how she approached the turns...

as i continued practicing, the delimma i noticed is that to execute the turns like she was doing, you almost sorta have to be going at around 50+ mph and riding pretty aggressively. but, i simply don't have the confidence to do that yet.

i was thinking to myself that my riding would improve exponentially if there were someone experienced like that that i could follow- but that wasn't going super fast. just have to keep practicing i guess... :)

Spunky99

Was she a little heavyset?

Detrich

Was she a little heavyset?
no... she was slim, fit build & wearing what i think looked like a white dianese 1-pc suit.

wish i could glide like that... lol

Spunky99

no... she was slim, fit build & wearing what i think looked like a white dianese 1-pc suit.

wish i could glide like that... lol
I've seen a few of the SCARF's and they can ride like the wind.....

Dunkirk

Ok here's my hall of shame story for this week...

Did my first canyon ride this weekend with some friends up Azusa canyon. (yay!) This was only my 3rd time riding with a group, and we had about 10 or so people- with me being the only newbie... xP

Anyhow, the ride went fairly smoothly... I stayed at the very back of the pack cuz I simply couldn't keep up with those guys at all. (Not on the freeway where they were splitting traffic, nor on the canyon either.) I just went really slow at my own pace- averaging about 40-45 mph- since it was my first time on the twisties on a motorcycle. Was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the scenery! One of my friends was nice enough to ride behind me to make sure I was okay... And, that really helped out a lot, psychologically...

Anyhoo... All went well until when I got to the very top to the parking lot area and came to a full stop though... I didn't realize my body had become SO incredible tense and SO locked up that after I parked, for some reason my right hand went into a numb, death grip in neutral gear- right before I could cut the engine. For some reason I just couldn't let go of the throttle and the more I tried to let go, the more it was revving in neutral. And, the combo of panic and brain fart, I just tipped over to the left at a stand still... <lol>

SOOO friggen embarrassing with everyone watching. <ack!> But, they knew it was my first time, and they all came over to help me get up. They immediately knew what my problem was and told me that I needed to learn to try to relax my arms and hands on the straight-away sections of the road, cuz it's easy to tense up after all the continuous turns- concentrating so hard. Just total lack of experience on my part I guess. :(

Anyhoo... Again my Intuitive Racing frame slider saved my bike. A few minor scratches/ rashes to the left turn signal light, left mirror edge, clutch lever tip, and rear seat cowel- but all very small and not really a big deal. I'll cough it up to "growing pains" + "battle scars" I guess. With each fall, I'm learning something new and hopefully will get better because of it.

But, I'm really happy and excited I went on this ride, and I can't wait to go again. :)

It was super hot though, and I felt somewhat like a tool being the only one wearing full gear. (Everyone else just wore jeans, jacket, gloves.) But, I guess since I was the most inexperienced, I would've needed the protection the most- had anything happened. Just sucked that I had no problems riding, but brain-farted during parking... ahahaha LOL :eek:
Thanks for the story, man. I've dropped my bike at a stand still before, and in front of the missus. I felt like a dope. She still lets me ride.
But she tells me she won't ride with me.

So, just sayin' that I appreciate I'm not the only dope/n00b on this site.

Sage

ive pretty much dropped mine at a standstill also, foot started sliding in the dirt/gravel on the sides of the road, i got enough grip and strength to keep the side and signals from touchin the ground by an inch or two and somehow got it upright on my own....so lucky since it was before the sliders

everyone has their moments of shame

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

thanks for all the tips & feedback guys... definitely helps & appreciated... :)

yah, my body tension & death grip were definitely mistakes that i need to correct next time... i was definitely a bit on edge & concentrating very profusely on the turns... lol

i guess i had a little riding fatigue just getting to the base of the mountain. for those guys riding the freeway is prolly routine and mundane. but, for me it's still something i have to really concentrate on... so, before we even started climbing i was feeling like, "whew! i made it here"... lol xP

flyingminno

Well tips happen to everyone, and the important thing is that you learn something.

Well, if you are headed up to Azusa canyon or Glendora Ridge road and would like a fellow FZ6R, just shout out on here, I'll join ya!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

b_who

Thanks for shareing good for a newbie like me to read and remember to relax and take everything at my own pace

txjames

Elite Member
Last edited: