MOPED/Scooter opinions

yfz6r, good to hear you're having luck. I also had one chinese scooter (a 150cc) that had all the body pannels falling apart, but the motor started every time, even after it sat all last winter. That one bike was invincible! However, this isn't the norm.

It's actually my second. I had a 150cc china scoot. Was an xtreme xm150 to be exact. It was rock solid just like the one I have now.

I am extremely easy on the break-in period though. Governed to half throttle until 150 miles, then let out little by little until about 700 miles.

The gy6 motor is a honda clone.

The only issue I commonly see in my area is people let them sit and they are too stupid to clean a carb. So they take it to the local scooter store and pay $100 for him to do it. That guy is a crook but it works for him.

Yeah, bone stock with a horrible untuned carb, my 150cc did 64mph. As soon as I sold mine, this huge Ruckus group started growing in my area. Now I'm there go-to mechanic, so I still get to ride them a bit.

Just be careful, when you have a Ruckus, all your money mysteriously starts disappearing...
I should clarify my statement "his little butt" I made earlier. He is bigger than me and he weighs in at about 350lbs. I had no issues getting his modded setup up to 85... Though with the gearing it was a bit of a pain in the butt as I was maxing out the revs getting there, lol. The transmissions aren't meant to go that fast, lol.
I drive a china scooter. Paid $625 brand new on ebay. Arrived in great condition but I had to saw off a metal part under the seat so the seat would close.

Have driven it over 1000 miles now and spent less than $50 in repair parts (only repairs needed was kickstarter gear assembly). and a battery. The current battery is now 2 years old and still starts like a champ.

I'd go with a 50cc. They are so easy-going, light, and get over 80mpg

Another nice thing is if your pistons go out, bore kits are about $70 so you get a fresh, bigger motor.

However, if you don't like tinkering and maintaining, go with a more expensive Yamaha Zuma or Honda.

Zuma's are the sexiest scooters out there IMO

I personally could never do a 50cc again, just not enough power for me but then I'm no small guy either. All the little people out there can easily get around on a 50cc as it doesn't take much to push someone that's below 140lbs...

The zuma is a decent looking scoot but I would at bare minimum do the 125cc motor.

That C3 is an interesting little critter.

The honda PCX would be my second choice but if I had the time to do it I would get another ruckus and drop a PCX motor into it with some mods to be able to get to the speeds that I would want to be able to get to.

The ruckus is a good looking scoot but lacking in power stock, it's a shame that they don't have a 150 option for the ruckus.

So, why would a rocker like myself want a 50cc scooter? I have a son who isn't ready for a motorcycle (my wife didnt allow me to have one until I was 50yrs old) but he's aching for a two wheeled transport to zip around college. Its a gateway toy for him and his mother. The bike is for him.
how big is this son of yours?

Back