Modified 06 R6 Exhaust On The 09 6R!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

The 6R looks nice as a cafe racer-style bike- ie with the fairings off. Exhaust looks nice too... Tnx for the pix.

yamanube

Yeah I was pretty happy with the way everything fell, I am a little worried that the silencer is not tied to the bike any way except being clamped to the header but it is pretty dang light so I think it will be okay, plus the end of the header is bolted to the bike. I am going to cut that bracket off and possibly have it powdercoated.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

My bike really stinks when I first start it up cold. Even after it is warmed up, the exhaust is obviously not as green as a stocker with a CAT.

The price one pays for more HP.....oh well.;)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

yamanube

Sorry guys, I got very busy with moving out of state so I didn't ever get my pictures posted up. Here are a couple shots of what I did, instead of bending the header I just dented it to clear the oil pan, I didn't want it hanging way down and looking out of place and it really didn't have to be dented all that much (still considerably better flow at that piont than the OEM header, it gets really flat right before the muffler assembly). I cut off the butterfly valve on the R6 silencer and just left a few inches of the titanium tubing to slip into the R6 header (fits perfect). I tried to bend the brake lever a bit to clear the silencer (the ugly vise marks on the lever, live and learn) then opted to dent the can to clear the lever, using a rubber mallet I flattened it out a bit right there and it worked well and IMO wont effect flow. To mount the rear of the header I just drilled a second hole in what I assume is a center stand mount and added a bolt and piece of tubing for a spacer, I will eventually get a nicer looking spacer (smaller diameter) and clean that up a little but for now it works.

Also, it sounds pretty awesome, it is a bit loud but most GP style pipes are. Now I just need to clean up the silencer (grind off the welds from the stock mount) and figure out if I want to powder coat it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

yamanube

Awesome that will help. Are you running a programmer? I figured the stock muffler will have enough restriction not to... It looks great I dig it fo shizza
No programmer, that was not in the budget. I was a little nervous about running without one but it seems to run well. The R6 can is definitely not very restrictive (you can see right through it) but it seems to run well, idle is smooth and there isn't excessive popping or backfiring so I left it. I will probably eventually get a programmer but not anytime in the near future.

That looks real good. How's the heat on the passenger foot peg (if you had a passenger riding)?
Sometimes when we sit in traffic for extended periods of time, or long slow (under 40mph) sections of road, she says that her foot gets a warm. It is never unbearable but noticeable when moving slow, I think the exhaust has a chance to rise more than just get blown out the back and warms her shoe up. No melting or burning and we have done some long slow rides in 85+ degree weather.

Last edited: