Mirrored shield at night?

iSpoolin

So I plan to ride my bike to work for the first time in the morning.

I leave my house around 6 AM, it doesn't get full daylight here until about 7:15, about half way through my ride its to the point where I can turn my cars headlights off and be fine.

So my question is do you think it would be fine to ride with a mirrored shield for that little bit of time?

Have you ever ridden with a tinted/mirrored shield at night?

Now I had my cars windshield tinted a while back at 35% tint and it sucked with stock headlights, couldn't see sh*t at night, but when I ugraded to 5000k HIDs I could see clear as day for the most part (hardly a noticable difference)

I have a 5000k HID kit in my FZ6R also, so do you guys think i'll be fine?

If not do you guys have a good way that I could carry my spare shield with me easily? I don't have a bookbag and the only tank bag I have is to fall to fit an exo 1000's shield into it.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Spunky99

The mirroe shield should be fine. I have the EXO700 with rose shield and it's fine. I've done the night rides with dark smoked shields and that is a bit scary.

So I plan to ride my bike to work for the first time in the morning.

I leave my house around 6 AM, it doesn't get full daylight here until about 7:15, about half way through my ride its to the point where I can turn my cars headlights off and be fine.

So my question is do you think it would be fine to ride with a mirrored shield for that little bit of time?

Have you ever ridden with a tinted/mirrored shield at night?

Now I had my cars windshield tinted a while back at 35% tint and it sucked with stock headlights, couldn't see sh*t at night, but when I ugraded to 5000k HIDs I could see clear as day for the most part (hardly a noticable difference)

I have a 5000k HID kit in my FZ6R also, so do you guys think i'll be fine?

If not do you guys have a good way that I could carry my spare shield with me easily? I don't have a bookbag and the only tank bag I have is to fall to fit an exo 1000's shield into it.

iSpoolin

I leave my house at 6:15 and have a Dark Smoke visor, and I don't really have any issues at all. I have a 6000K HID in mine.
Alright, thanks I should be fine then. 5000k HID is even a little more light output over 6k and mirror shields are not as dark as a dark smoke.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

iSpoolin

don't forget to check local law just to be on the legal safe side...

also, you can try it early on a Sat. when you have nowhere to go... just ride down the street, or along a similar path and see if you are comfortable with it! Don't wait until you start riding in to work to find out.

Also, any chance of getting stuck at work? Or traffic, when you might be there late at night (after work dinner/party/etc.)? If so, there are plenty of other ways to carry a spare shield
Tour Master Visor Bag - KneeDraggers.com
MotoCentric Mototrek Visor Bag - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
I plan to ride up my rode just to test it out, if I feel fine i'll continue, if not i'll slap the clear one on (y)

and my uncle whos a deputy said it was fine.

Im gonna look into one of those bags though :wav:

Spunky99

I plan to ride up my rode just to test it out, if I feel fine i'll continue, if not i'll slap the clear one on (y)

and my uncle whos a deputy said it was fine.

Im gonna look into one of those bags though :wav:
I have the Tourmaster helmet bag and I just toss the clear shield over the helmet but it's not so easy to carry when using the helmet. Those smaller bags are a great idea. Must buy one.......:)

iSpoolin

I have the Tourmaster helmet bag and I just toss the clear shield over the helmet but it's not so easy to carry when using the helmet. Those smaller bags are a great idea. Must buy one.......:)
I'm going to see if I can find a small bag at my house, maybe I can find a pouch the size I need and tether it to my windscreen with velcro or something :) lol

Sage

If i feel like i'll be out past dusk, i'll just toss my clear shield in the soft helmet bag into my backpack i always carry. Rode from Starbucks last night with the dark smoke and I could see the road and all, but any kind of animal or person coming from the side and I was screwed

flyingminno

You'll be fine, I rode 70 miles to home at midnight with my dark smoked visor. I had forgotten my clear one, so yes it is fine to ride with a tinted visor at night or early morning, but a clear would help you see potholes and such better.

scoobienorth

my mirrored one is all i run, its fine, even in the dark. i have a joe rocket ballistic 7.0 jacket, it has a pocket for a spare visor, really sweet feature.

MikeN02

I was caught out later then expect 3 or 4 times and had my blue mirror shield on.

HID's help a ton, looked like stock lighting to be but the street lights and other cars looked dark. Always have light so you can see.

If anything just shove it in your jacket, between the jacket and your chest.

RockZooky

I keep a pair of clear safety glasses under my seat in case I’m out later then planed. That way I don’t have to risk having limited visibility at night from a tinted visor.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

iSpoolin

I always have my dark tinted shield on. I never have any issues. What would be nice is one of the retractable tinted fighter pilot shields that they have in some HJC's and other helmets.
My helmet has one of those.

Thing is though I could see perfect this morning, but my exo 1000's shield kept fogging on the outside, both my clear one and my mirrored one. (I tried both because I had my girlfriend riding in front of me this morning)

hattrickhero

What I do is keep plastic safety specs under the seat. I wear them and lift my mirrored visor as needed when it is dark. This is so easy and it avoids carrying the clear visor in a backpack when I don't want to.

iSpoolin

What I do is keep plastic safety specs under the seat. I wear them and lift my mirrored visor as needed when it is dark. This is so easy and it avoids carrying the clear visor in a backpack when I don't want to.
I wear regular glasses, so if I have to ride with it up its not to bad.