Low-sided and now onto Naked

Jux2p0ze

Well, I guess it was going to happen, but didn't think I'd do it so early. With bruised ego and bruised knee (and shin and ankle), I started work this weekend to strip off the fairings, fix what I could and install some more protective parts (sliders) for the next go round.

I had debated ad nauseam about holding out for replacement fairings, doing some of my own paintjobs and throughout the dissection, my bike started to look...well...better!

Here I am with all the plastic stripped off and looking for the next step. Cheers.

Jux2p0ze

First, the confessional.

All in all, I was very lucky because I rolled off a little bit letting my jacket and helmet take most of the impact. However, I won't ever make that mistake again about squidding anywhere, so up went the order for proper boots and pants along with replacement parts. I have some awesome bruises on my right knee and ankle, left shin, and a bit of forearm rash. Oh yeah, all this happened the day before I had my wisdom teeth out so the Ibuprofen is pulling double duty :)

After moping quite a bit, I sat down and tried to figure how to go about repairing my (Rumble) Bee. At the simplest, I'd need to strip off the fairings and replace them, so now was a great time to install frame sliders. There's a host of reviews and instructional videos but I went with the T-Rex ones and to be honest, they are not 99% fit and the directions aren't the clearest but simple enough to follow.

One of the first problems I had is that these large bolts tend to take a tremendous beating if you drop your bike. You'll likely grind plastic into the actual hex itself requiring a sharp pointed knife to dig it out. Then there's usually enough warping from the impact, but take a mallet or hammer and tapped the hex into place. Normally, I'd recommend a torque wrench or breaker bar, but you can get by with combining a socket wrench and vise grip to take it out.

At this point, most first time bike tinkerers I imagine will be at this point.

A lot of my boys actually complemented the appearance, but I wasn't satisfied with the Euro look. I'm a purist for either traditional standard, sport farings, or streetfighter. Taking a moment with my Photochop skills, I polled the homies for their opinions.

The 1st is the stock yellows sans magical stars (seriously Yamaha, what's with these ridiculous tramp stamps? Offer decals through custom store). 2nd is with black replacement body fairings. 3rd is the previous GP Moto colors for which I drew inspiration. 4th is my interpretation of the FZ6R.

What you think?

So since I had parts exposed, I found all kinds of interesting things: Underbody lights kit that was installed but never noticed (I'm the third owner, the second owner was a nice old man who bought it off the original to help with money problems), I hadn't properly set up the height of the seat, etc. In the process, I just kinda went a little nuts taking everything apart.

Aptly put by previous members, you never really notice how much extra plastic is on our bikes until you go through the effort of pulling it apart.

I encourage anyone who owns a bike to at least try to get to this point and then put everything back on. You'll find the familiarity a lot easier to access other repairs and may even spark your own project.

My number one problem is relocating the stock headlights and gauge cluster closer to the forks. I think I'm going to copy DSTE's attempt as in a pinch, I can reverse it back toward conventional fairings if I either repaint, swap colors, or go back to stock.

dste0395

My opinion, since it'll already most of the way cosmeticaly torn down:

Swap to a round headlight, get some lower bars, get a Vapor gauge and mount it in the center of your bars. Badass streetfighter
I have been searching for a good universal Gauge, so thank you! TrailTech is the gauge you are speaking of I assume? If you already did this mod did you use the existing wiring to the current cluster to this one? I was hoping that the current setup would work instead of disconnecting everything from the old one and redoing the magnets, etc.
Trail Tech Vapor Computer Universal Fit Kit - Universal kit - includes all parts to complete installation - 2WheelPros.com

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Jux2p0ze

Alrighty! My bruises look worse, but functionally I'm down to just a mildly sprained right ankle. I had a chat with DSTE who pointed out some great pieces to build out the rest.

A quick hunt around and I came across a good-looking 6 1/4" black circular headlight unit for $50 that plugs straight up to the stock wiring. I think 7" would look a lot sharper and fit the overall size of the bike, but the difference was $20. I used an el-cheapo hanger mirror because I wasn't quite ready for the whole streetfighter mirror ends. I couldn't figure out good brackets so I went with those chrome anodized ones that alot of customfighters scoff at. Hey..(shrug)..they get the job done.

Here's the quick mock up.

It's definitely coming together, but I still haven't found a satisfactory way to shim the lights for proper alignment and enough tension. Likewise to mounting the stock cluster. I think I might use some L-brackets and a pair of Proton flush-mount lights for turn signals off the either end of the light brackets.

Definitely would think a custom belly pan would complement the entire look.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Jux2p0ze

Minor update. The quick and dirty way is to get a hold of 6" x 3/4" furniture brackets or securing brackets (Aisle 2 of Lowe's). They're often sold sitting next to elbow brackets, hinges, sliding rollers for closets, etc. For $1.35 ea, it sure beats fabbing anything or getting a whole new set of bars.

The headlight mounts were a real bitch. I had to tap out those universal streetfighter plastic grommets with a 3/8" drill, then screw them in, and add some washers and plastic spacers. I didn't have anything bigger than 3/8" but just a smidgeon more would have made my day alot easier.

Depending upon the length, I may just find a way to tie or securestrap my proton flushmounts to the forks or to the side of the headlight bracket and call it a good 'un!

Jux2p0ze

I couldn't wait for my front signals any longer so me and my buddies did some hot laps in their enclosed community.

Some important points when doing this type of conversion.

1. Rides very differently! That's mostly plastic, but definitely feels like she's a little lighter in the nose and...

2. Zero wind deflection. This is the obvious part, but couped with some balance changes, you'll have to decide if you're going to change your stance to a cafe rider replete with clip-ons or more of a street hooligan.

At least for my size and frame, I probably will be looking into changing my bars to wider ones at least 1" further out for a more neutral position. Also sidebar mirrors will probably be added. The little one I have is complete shit, but at least it keeps me legal.

dste0395

I couldn't wait for my front signals any longer so me and my buddies did some hot laps in their enclosed community.

Some important points when doing this type of conversion.

1. Rides very differently! That's mostly plastic, but definitely feels like she's a little lighter in the nose and...

2. Zero wind deflection. This is the obvious part, but couped with some balance changes, you'll have to decide if you're going to change your stance to a cafe rider replete with clip-ons or more of a street hooligan.

At least for my size and frame, I probably will be looking into changing my bars to wider ones at least 1" further out for a more neutral position. Also sidebar mirrors will probably be added. The little one I have is complete shit, but at least it keeps me legal.
Maybe you posted pictures here for us to see, and if you did my apologies but I cannot see them, that is why Im asking.

dste0395

Alrighty! My bruises look worse, but functionally I'm down to just a mildly sprained right ankle. I had a chat with DSTE who pointed out some great pieces to build out the rest.

A quick hunt around and I came across a good-looking 6 1/4" black circular headlight unit for $50 that plugs straight up to the stock wiring. I think 7" would look a lot sharper and fit the overall size of the bike, but the difference was $20. I used an el-cheapo hanger mirror because I wasn't quite ready for the whole streetfighter mirror ends. I couldn't figure out good brackets so I went with those chrome anodized ones that alot of customfighters scoff at. Hey..(shrug)..they get the job done.

It's definitely coming together, but I still haven't found a satisfactory way to shim the lights for proper alignment and enough tension. Likewise to mounting the stock cluster. I think I might use some L-brackets and a pair of Proton flush-mount lights for turn signals off the either end of the light brackets.

I tried the belly pan way by attempting to make my own out of the original fairings, and probably can still pull it off if I change the location of the mounting holes, but I am now going with the black exhaust wrap idea instead.

dste0395

Can you tell me where you got your round headlight and brand? I bought a 1976 Honda round headlight from oldbikebarn.com but I will have to strip wires and rewire. Having a wiring harness plug and play would be the better option.

Jux2p0ze

I got the light assembly from Dimecity Cycles. I got the brackets from amazon.com which are the same ones used by people who build streetfighter bikes. After that I took multiple trips back and forth from Lowe's to find washers and spacers to get it to sit right. Ain't gonna lie, it's like a total rat bike :)

The belly pan situation is purely cosmetic and I'm not sure aside from deflecting rocks and debris on the road that there's any further aside from trying to mod an existing one or totally fabbing one which I've not the time or experience to mess with.

dste0395

I got the light assembly from Dimecity Cycles. I got the brackets from amazon.com which are the same ones used by people who build streetfighter bikes. After that I took multiple trips back and forth from Lowe's to find washers and spacers to get it to sit right. Ain't gonna lie, it's like a total rat bike :)

The belly pan situation is purely cosmetic and I'm not sure aside from deflecting rocks and debris on the road that there's any further aside from trying to mod an existing one or totally fabbing one which I've not the time or experience to mess with.
Do you happen to have a name on the light or a part number? I got my brackets from Oldbikebarn.com and it will fit our 41mm forks with no problems. My light is a side screw mount. I will take a look at that website and see what they have. Thanks again!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

tr1umph4nt

From yellow to red? did you just flipped the handle bars around? good improvising. is there a parts list up yet? i havent read the whole thread, so forgive me if theres already one. Looks good man!