Losing power at high rpms

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

arocholl

Glad to hear your back on the road MistahT, if I remember right I believe your running a power commander or juice box right? Maybe check your fuel maps?

-Uncle Al

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

arocholl

The other thing I'm suspecting is perhaps a spark issue. I would also check the plug gap, maybe the spark is being "blown out" at high rpm.

-Uncle Al

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Take the power commander out of the picture completely and test?

arocholl

I believe MistahT is running a full exhaust, with a decatted bike, you'd risk leaning the motor out without the power commander.

The fact that you were able to hit the limiter a couple times makes me think it's some type of spark or wiring issue. Just my opinion though.

-Uncle Al

JSP

Super Moderator
I believe MistahT is running a full exhaust, with a decatted bike, you'd risk leaning the motor out without the power commander.

The fact that you were able to hit the limiter a couple times makes me think it's some type of spark or wiring issue. Just my opinion though.

-Uncle Al
For a simple test, there is no harm in unhooking it. It would take many, many miles to do any sort of damage.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

arocholl

For a simple test, there is no harm in unhooking it. It would take many, many miles to do any sort of damage.

You are probably right, personally, I'm just not willing to take the chance. You never know what can happen if you get a bad tank of gas. Had that happen to a buddy with an RX-7 but that's an apples to oranges comparison.

-Uncle Al

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Couldn't get it to duplicate on this morning's commute. I put gas in it 100 miles ago, but otherwise it's had the gas sitting since winter and broken arm time... made it's just the junk from the bottom of the tank?

Will be unhooking the PC tomorrow when I get some time. Right now It's ride to work, do work, ride home, do more work, sleep, repeat.
Was the previous gas treated? Could be the old bad gas... I'd put some seafoam or other treatment of your choice in it.. Techron, etc.. Run it. Put some more fresh gas in, run it more. Hopefully it clears out for ya.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

arocholl

Was the previous gas treated? Could be the old bad gas... I'd put some seafoam or other treatment of your choice in it.. Techron, etc.. Run it. Put some more fresh gas in, run it more. Hopefully it clears out for ya.

I didn't even think of that problem JSP, that's a really good call.

-Uncle Al

Reactions: JSP

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

taylorisking21

Sounds to me like your throttle bodies are slightly out of sync. Does it rev fine? Does it stumble at all, or die when the throttle is snapped, then quickly released?