LED in the tiny 'diamond' light

jotapeh

Has anyone done this? I was fiddling around with the headlights the other day considering adding LEDs in the fake ram air intakes, and I noticed there is absolutely nothing in that tiny little 'diamond' portion of the light above the main headlight.

I thought it might look pretty cool with a single LED in there.. has anyone tried that? Any way to get into it?

If nobody has, I will volunteer to be the first to try.. :D

Chaos

Someone on here has done that but to the extreme and it looked sick! As for the air dam, I added lights there as well as all over the bike. I love it and have turned many a head at night. I was also thinkin of adding one more in the diamond.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Spunky99

It's been done, I can't remember who did it offhand. You could take the whole headlight apart to get into that area, I believe the easiest way would be to be bake it in the oven on low temp (220F) or so then separate the back from it..as an alternative you may be able to just drill a small hole in the black backing and just find some way to secure the LED and apply something to keep it water tight.
I was thinking of drilling a 8mm hole in the back of the power crystal and installing a UV/Black Light LED there to go with the UV LEDs I am installing on my bike. Just silicone the LED into place.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I figured I couldn't be the only one thinking of this, it's just too obvious ;)

If anyone can find those pics of the person who did it before, I would love to see them, I can't figure out a good search term to find it.

EDIT: Found them, didn't think to use the term 'power crystal' -- http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/turning-power-crystal-into-running-light-14697/
Yeah, she did an awesome job!

We dubbed it the "power crystal" because the headlight resembles the Transformer's symbol.

Chaos

Power Crystal, Love it!!!

pyrocpu

I was just wondering if there might be some sort of retrofit we could put in the power crystal; you know, the European market bulb. For some reason, I seem to recall some sort of capped-off connector in the wiring harness--perhaps it'd be for this light in the Euro market?

Roaddawg

I was just wondering if there might be some sort of retrofit we could put in the power crystal; you know, the European market bulb. For some reason, I seem to recall some sort of capped-off connector in the wiring harness--perhaps it'd be for this light in the Euro market?
Is the 'power crystal' lit up on the European models? Any UK brothers want to answer this? If so, maybe they could see where the wire goes to.

tractorboy

Yes she did do a good job..

But are you thinking of a super bright LED or something to stand even more?

That would be a good idea. maybe another color even or something bright...

maybe even if it flashes to warn other we are coming??? like the modulating headlights but a little more subtle??

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

jotapeh

Have to be careful with colours/modulation here, blue/red especially are restricted to emergency vehicles only. Flashing green is for volunteer firefighters only. So no funky colours on the forward lights in ON

I am thinking a very bright LED .. OR something similar to the "angel eye" setup on cars with projectors/HIDs.

F

FZ6Rgurl

Fun lights

I used pink.... Maybe cause I'm a girl??? And the blue lights in my headlight, I've been told that they're ok. I thought I would get in trouble because of the color of blue matches the lights on emergency vehicles, but I've shown cops and they haven't said anything negative towards it.

pilninggas

Is the 'power crystal' lit up on the European models? Any UK brothers want to answer this? If so, maybe they could see where the wire goes to.
yes it is, though on euro bikes it is somewhat ruined by the fact that the main dip-beam is on as soon as you start the engine and it can't be seen easily. Any way at the end of this video (1.40) is a view of the power xstal in all its glory:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBt74fvCrc]YouTube - Yamaha XJ6 (FZ6R) with krauser luggage - one-off LED lighting.[/ame]

motoguy82

what type of bulb is that thing? I changed the headlight to a 'cool blue' type light and now my 'power crystal' doesn't match..... any options out there for making the crystal bulb a little more white/blue? been searching for a while and I give up

Michael Wilson

Have to be careful with colours/modulation here, blue/red especially are restricted to emergency vehicles only. Flashing green is for volunteer firefighters only. So no funky colours on the forward lights in ON

I am thinking a very bright LED .. OR something similar to the "angel eye" setup on cars with projectors/HIDs.
Correct you are. The law on this is very....sketchy.... It varries from state to so make sure to check before installing.

I was talking to a state police officer (New Mexico)about this issue. He told me as long as the lights don't flash your in the clear. He said if your pulled over for them and the cop does try to ticket you, take it to court and the judges will over rule the ticket.

Just a word of advice ;)