Just realized I grabbed the wrong sponge from the cabinet

c0re

A little advice is order.

So I recently removed that warning sticker from my tank and it's been nothing but doom and gloom ever since.

The newest addition to my series of unfortunate events is that when I grabbed the non scratch sponge out of my cabinet to scrub away the residue from the sticker, it turns out it was one of the regular sponges. So now I have a nice little square of sponge scratches smack dab in the middle of my tank. they are not deep by any means and seem to be only on the clear coat (when I wet the area the scratches completely disappear).

Anyone know of a good product that will do away with this unpleasantness?

Thanks in advance!

Depends, can you feel the scratches at all? If you drag your fingernail across the scratch marks, can you feel it at all?

If your fingernail catches on the scratches then your going to need to contact a professional or someone who really knows paint, to get them out if they can at all.

Also if you have a black bike, go ahead and forget any attempt by yourself, black is very prone to showing the slightest imperfection, and can be very finicky to get well.

If not then go ahead and use something similar to this, I use it all the time for really tough bug spots, tar, and light scratches.
3M Scratch Remover Polish, 3m 39044, hand compound, machine compound, rubbing compound, swirl remover, 3m polish

Apply by hand with a clean rag, rub in the area gently(circular motions), wipe away.

Try to remember paint is something permanent, and without the proper care can easily be turned from looking great, to sadly drooping, and to turn it back is generally quite expensive if possible at all. I personally dont go near paint without either a cotton terry cloth, or microfiber.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back