Just picked up 09 FZ6R - Wont Start when cold. Can you help?

Newrider79

Hey Guys

I am new to this forum and very new to riding! Recently picked up my first bike a 09 FZ6R - Got it 2nd hand with only 231ks on the clock so hasn't been riding much. I am struggling to start it when it's cold, Seems to ignite fine and engine check lights all look ok though it doesnt want to start. I tried giving it a little throttle gas to get it going and finally got it after 8 tries but then the next morning its the same if not worse. When its warm its fine starts first kick.

I don't know much about Bikes at all so I am a little concerned, Also when the bike is warm and engine gets switched off then back on ready to ignite again sometimes I get this loud engine type sound.

Any help would be really appreciated?

J

Detrich

I would start with checking the battery. When it's warm the battery might be getting just enough re-charge from the engine to fire up. But, if it's been sitting cold then it just depletes. Bike batteries usually only last 3 or so years. If it's a bike that hasn't been ridden much then even sooner.

Newrider79

I would start with checking the battery. When it's warm the battery might be getting just enough re-charge from the engine to fire up. But, if it's been sitting cold then it just depletes. Bike batteries usually only last 3 or so years. If it's a bike that hasn't been ridden much then even sooner.
Thanks mate, I better get the manual out and start reading where to find the battery. Can I use my own slow charger on these batteries and maybe leave it on overnight?

XTRAWLD

It has such low mileage, it likely hasn't run much at all in it's poor life. Battery for sure, you can pick up a trickle charger to keep it charged while it's not in use, but if you are already struggling to get it to start, you might just need to buy a new battery.

You might also consider changing the oil & filter to help it crank easier, since the old oil has been sitting at the bottom for so long, parts aren't well lubricated. I know that made a world of difference for me. It's so young, it might not even had it's break-in period or first service.

Superzoom

I'm actually thinking that it wouldn't be the battery, as a bad battery would be completely dead after trying to start the bike eight times. But who knows.

Newrider79

I'm actually thinking that it wouldn't be the battery, as a bad battery would be completely dead after trying to start the bike eight times. But who knows.
Hmm, Yes True. I will take it in for a service this week as it hasnt had first service yet. Ill let you know what they say!

Detrich

Cool cool... It's prolly just needs a new battery & oil change I'm guessing. let us know.

The battery SB under the seat. 14v jump should be ok I think. I've never jumped mine but I used my black & decker portable jump start battery to jump my friends CBR 600RR and it worked fine...

Superfly

It doesnt need a new battery if the bike turns over cold and starts when its warm. Oil change wont do a thing for starting either.

You should drain the fuel tank with a syphoning hose and put brand new fuel in...ie not from a jerry can thats been in your garage for 3 years...brand new.

You should start there...if thats not it then you have one or more plugs that have been fouled...thats my guess...

But start with the fuel.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Newrider79

That's what I will do first too. Look like the gas have been sitting there for a while. Empty the tank and put fresh gas in there... maybe you got some injectors gumed up... Sea foam is the best stuff $$$ can buy too.
Emptied the full yesterday and put a fresh tank of 98 Octane in though seems to still have the same problem, I am finding I hold the throttle down full and start it starts after about 3 tries.

Trying to get it in for a service this week

dcBear78

Welcome... Starting to get a few more Aussies.

Get it in and get it looked at. Asked the previous owner if they had problems?

FWIW the 98 RON isn't required either. This bike is tuned to run on the shitty fuel they get in the state (sorry guys....) so our regular 91 RON is more than fine. And bike ECU's do not sense the RON level of fuels like car ones do. I don't touch the e10 stuff though.

edit: it is also a 2010. They weren't released in Australia until May 2010.

Chucker

My bet is it's a fuel system issue. If it spins when cranked, the battery has enough juice for spark. You've probably got gummed up injectors.

Chaphil3

My bet is it's a fuel system issue. If it spins when cranked, the battery has enough juice for spark. You've probably got gummed up injectors.
That raises a question I had previously but forgot to ask. Can you put fuel injector cleaner in with the gas like you do with your car? I usually try to add fuel injector cleaner to my gas around the time of every oil change. Thoughts?

Chucker

That raises a question I had previously but forgot to ask. Can you put fuel injector cleaner in with the gas like you do with your car? I usually try to add fuel injector cleaner to my gas around the time of every oil change. Thoughts?
Just remember, a bottle for your car is meant to treat a lot more gas. You need to proportion it for your bike's volume.

Newrider79

Serviced

Funny enough I took it for a service and they couldn't find anything wrong with the bike, He said it simply needs to be ridden as it most likely was still on it's first tank of fuel. Last owner bought it May 2010 and I picked up a few weeks ago with only 231k's on the clock so it wasn't getting used.

Since I had the service have taken it on a few nice long rides and the starting issue seems to be getting better.

I'm loving the bike but don't know how long I will last with it restricted :(

J

Newrider79

Welcome... Starting to get a few more Aussies.

Get it in and get it looked at. Asked the previous owner if they had problems?

FWIW the 98 RON isn't required either. This bike is tuned to run on the shitty fuel they get in the state (sorry guys....) so our regular 91 RON is more than fine. And bike ECU's do not sense the RON level of fuels like car ones do. I don't touch the e10 stuff though.

edit: it is also a 2010. They weren't released in Australia until May 2010.
Hey Buddy, So what your saying is the our normal unleaded fuel is fine for the bike? I wasn't sure as I only ever put 98 in my 335i because it doesnt like the normal stuff. So maybe I just go back to 91 ron?

dcBear78

Hey Buddy, So what your saying is the our normal unleaded fuel is fine for the bike? I wasn't sure as I only ever put 98 in my 335i because it doesnt like the normal stuff. So maybe I just go back to 91 ron?
Yeah. That's what I was told but I am starting to wonder about that. Our Aussie ones has an O2 sensor which I believe what is used to detect the better fuel. I could very well be wrong. Either way I have only ever used regular and not had a problem.

edit: wasn't really clear. Regular is perfectly fine. Not sure if you will receive benefits of higher octane?

Last edited:

Newrider79

Yeah. That's what I was told but I am starting to wonder about that. Our Aussie ones has an O2 sensor which I believe what is used to detect the better fuel. I could very well be wrong. Either way I have only ever used regular and not had a problem.

edit: wasn't really clear. Regular is perfectly fine. Not sure if you will receive benefits of higher octane?
K cool! I put my first tank of of regular in the other day and feels the same to me so will save myself a few bucks now. thanks