Just ordered the MRA VarioTouringScreen

Superzoom

So I'm one of those guys who complains about the stock windscreen as well as the Yamaha Double Bubble as being way too turbulent.

I just put my money where my mouth is and ordered the MRA VarioTouringScreen from Twisted Throttle. Ordered a centre stand and heated grips while I was at it.

I'll be sure to post a review of the MRA once I receive it and pop it on. I don't think I've read of anyone buying this screen yet.

This past weekend I spent a few hours on the highway at 75-80 mph, and my double bubble really sucked. Up to 60 mph, it does fine, but anything above that and it's not good.

Roaddawg

I was looking at those too. I hope it works for you, because I love this new Puig Touring screen. Its only been about a week, but I've been riding to work everyday and have zero complaints so far. Let us know.

Superzoom

Hi RD,

For me it was down to the Puig, based on your glowing review, or some sort of lip. So when I found out about the MRA screen which comes with the lip already installed, I went with it. Your Puig is prettier than the MRA screen, but I'm hoping that the lip on the MRA will be da bomb at all speeds from 60 mph to 100 mph, from commuting to fun rides to touring.

RD, have you done much high speed cruising with the Puig? I'm still curious about how your screen performs at 70-85 mph. I may eventually get one if the MRA doesn't work out.

I read a whole slew of good reviews for the MRA screen as well. It's supposed to really help with turbulence. Here's hoping.

Now the really crappy part... Twisted Throttle has my expected delivery date around June 27th! Didn't have the screen or the heated grips in stock. I'm hoping they're just being super conservative with the date, but who knows. Has anyone else got a very long estimated delivery date from Twisted Throttle, then have it show up a lot sooner?

Roaddawg

Hi RD,

For me it was down to the Puig, based on your glowing review, or some sort of lip. So when I found out about the MRA screen which comes with the lip already installed, I went with it. Your Puig is prettier than the MRA screen, but I'm hoping that the lip on the MRA will be da bomb at all speeds from 60 mph to 100 mph, from commuting to fun rides to touring.

RD, have you done much high speed cruising with the Puig? I'm still curious about how your screen performs at 70-85 mph. I may eventually get one if the MRA doesn't work out.

I read a whole slew of good reviews for the MRA screen as well. It's supposed to really help with turbulence. Here's hoping.

Now the really crappy part... Twisted Throttle has my expected delivery date around June 27th! Didn't have the screen or the heated grips in stock. I'm hoping they're just being super conservative with the date, but who knows. Has anyone else got a very long estimated delivery date from Twisted Throttle, then have it show up a lot sooner?
I like the lip idea and the ability to adjust it. A guy I work with has the MRA w/ lip on his Kawi (can't remember which model...its a late 90's) and he likes it. I can't wait to see your review of the MRA too. I'm sure it's going to work, but if not, the Puig would be my strong recommendation. And, if you end up getting a Puig, you could mount the MRA lip onto that one!

When I ride to work in the morning (3:30 AM :(), I'm usually about 75 or so for the 11 mile commute now. I've been up to around 90, but only for a quick few moments to pass. But, It works great. Blows the wind right around my body and smoothed out air hitting mid-visor. No turbulence/buffeting at all. Like I said, I don't have any complaints about the screen. If someone was 5'9" or less, I imagine the wind would blow right over their helmet or just barely brush the top. I've thought about lowering the seat back down, but I need the leg room.

I'm glad they're starting to get more aftermarket out there for us. Now, if they would only make some hard cases that I like. I like your E21's and are leaning way over right now for those. I just wish they would make some FJR style ones that weren't as wide...like the city side cases they make over seas for the FJR.

Superzoom

When I ride to work in the morning (3:30 AM :(), I'm usually about 75 or so for the 11 mile commute now. I've been up to around 90, but only for a quick few moments to pass. But, It works great. Blows the wind right around my body and smoothed out air hitting mid-visor. No turbulence/buffeting at all. Like I said, I don't have any complaints about the screen. If someone was 5'9" or less, I imagine the wind would blow right over their helmet or just barely brush the top. I've thought about lowering the seat back down, but I need the leg room.

I'm glad they're starting to get more aftermarket out there for us. Now, if they would only make some hard cases that I like. I like your E21's and are leaning way over right now for those. I just wish they would make some FJR style ones that weren't as wide...like the city side cases they make over seas for the FJR.
I'm really curious what makes the Puig screen less turbulent than the Yamaha screens. The shape is interesting, for sure. I'm wondering if it has to do with the creases.

Yeah, the E21 cases sit very wide. They definitely could have been placed closer to the bike. Not sure why they didn't with the SW-Motech racks. You'd think a bike with under-bike exhaust would have nice, close-fitting cases.

2416ryan

Hi Superzoom,

I'm thinking about getting the MRA VarioTouringScreen for our FZ6R and was hoping you could post your thoughts when you have a chance. Thanks!

-Ryan

airwalk

I would be keen to hear reports also.

Went on a 250km (150 mile ???) run on the weekend on the new bike (2013 model) and the wind buffeting on my head was horrible; was over it within the first 1/2hr of riding.

Superzoom

Hi Superzoom,

I'm thinking about getting the MRA VarioTouringScreen for our FZ6R and was hoping you could post your thoughts when you have a chance. Thanks!

-Ryan
I would be keen to hear reports also.

Went on a 250km (150 mile ???) run on the weekend on the new bike (2013 model) and the wind buffeting on my head was horrible; was over it within the first 1/2hr of riding.
Here is my tardy review of the MRA VarioTouringScreen (someone at MRA really dislikes spaces)! Sorry for the delayed response.

Have owned the screen for a few months, but haven't done a lot of riding. I have done quite a few highway miles though, and that's where a screen really shows it's strengths and weaknesses. I also went on a 2000 mile trip from Toronto to Halifax and back.

In a nutshell:

PROS:

- works to significantly reduce turbulence and wind force on the chest and helmet, especially at higher speeds (60+ mph)
- is adjustable

CONS:

- somewhat expensive ($160 at Twisted Throttle)
- looks only a mother or physicist would love (I don't mind it)
- only smooths airflow, does not redirect it OVER your head (I am 5'10", and have bar risers)
- wind is still somewhat noisy, although smoother and less objectionable

The screen just plain works, but perhaps not in the way you might think. It does not create a still pocket of air, like a large screen might. What is mostly does is it smooths the airflow quite a bit (using laminar airflow principles), resulting in a significantly less turbulent flow of air coming off the screen, especially compared to the stock screen and the Yamaha double bubble.

It also does not reduce wind noise significantly. It does reduce it some, to an acceptable "low roar." I've found the only way to reduce noise is to have either a giant screen, or almost no screen at all.

The screen really earns its keep when speeds exceed 70 mph. The wind becomes just a constant, manageable flow, whereas with the stock and double bubbles, I usually found my helmet being violently and noisily blown all over the place. I found it comfortable to cruise for hours at 80 mph, whereas previously my neck would be tired with the old screens.

The screen doesn't work miracles. You're going to have some noise and you're going to get pushed around a bit on a sport bike regardless, but the MRA screen works well enough that I am much more comfortable logging the 1000 mile days that I like to do.

This is my fourth screen configuration, after the stock, the cut down stock and the double bubble, and I will be sticking with it.

I give it a 7/10 overall. I would give the stock a 3/10 and the double bubble a 4/10.

Attachments

Rich007

I couldn't imagine riding a FZ6R more than 500 miles in one day non the less 1000. I have done 400 and was beat from the riding position alone. Why wouldn't you just buy a touring bike?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

Try 1550 miles to wrap up a 4K miles week round trip! :D
I think I'd poke my eyes out with the rear tire if I had to ride this bike on that trip without serious modifications...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Superzoom

I couldn't imagine riding a FZ6R more than 500 miles in one day non the less 1000. I have done 400 and was beat from the riding position alone. Why wouldn't you just buy a touring bike?
Because with minor mods, the FZ6R makes a great sport tourer.

Here's what I did to make it comfier:

- MRA screen
- 1" up and back bar risers
- extra foam in seat and Airhawk seat cushion
- cramp buster throttle thingie
- heated grips
- hard luggage

For two-up touring, I would probably prefer a touring bike, but I personally find smaller and lighter to be more fun.

I honestly think the FZ6R is closer to being a standard than a sport bike.