Just Bought an FZ6R

MIRIDER

Hi Everyone,

I'm a member on the sister site FZ6 forum. For a couple of months I've been researching about the FZ6, truly set on getting one.

I ended up going out last night to purchase a MINT 2009 FZ6R. I'm actually relieved to purchase the R because it is a little more tame than the FZ6's and should handle better and perform better based on the touring I would like to do with it.

Thought I'd just express my excitement on my new purchase. :thumbup:
congrats!!!
I'm still trying to pull the trigger.

Leslie0568

Congrats, welcome. :canada:
I just bought the same bike last week. =)

Superzoom

Yes, the folks here are very friendly and helpful. Stirring the pot a little though (me that is), I read some of the discussions on the FZ6 site and the majority of the members there really bash our bike (R). You would think they'd be more mature, but instead they act like a bunch of youngsters hanging out at a bike night comparing LEDs and motoGP specs of their liter bikes. I've ridden both bikes and I can tell you now this FZ6R is way more than capable of doing everything you want it to, except win a flat out straight run race against a supersport. Definitely way more than haters say it's capable of :) Check out the thread about the comparison between our two bikes and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for this site, again folks are friendly and helpful and have been a big help to me as I tweak here and there on my FZ6R. Welcome!
Yeah, I've read lots of disses of our bike, always from people who have never ridden it, and are proud of the fact that the FZ6 kicks the FZ6R's ass ON PAPER. The fact is the FZ6R is one of the best balanced bikes there is, especially at its price point. And I'm sure there has been more than one rider who has been disappointed with the FZ6's peaky power delivery and gutless low end.

There will always be wanna be racers who judge a motorcycle only by its weight, peak horsepower and number of newfangled doodads. They are too snobby and blind to see the balanced beauty of a bike like the FZ6R. Their loss.

XTRAWLD

Since the can of worms has now been opened on my thread......here we go bash the noob, but my two cents worth....

Well, of course you would be biased towards the bike one rides. They too are biased to their bikes. It's only fair. It's the same way for cars too.....there are some good folks on that forum, and while I've only known some of them a short time, they are outstanding people from a motorcycling aspect. For the most part, I find they are very experienced riders, riding a myriad of different bikes in their lifetime. Rarely do I find that people graduated from a small bike, straight to an FZ6. The natural progression is more to the R and not the FZ6. I also think I will be more likely to find squidlies on this forum, than I would on that forum.......:don'tknow: Haven't been here long enough to know that, but I know that the FZ6 forum has more experience behind them. Let's hope everyone here proves me wrong, but right now, I'm telling it like it is in the short time I've been here.....(KenS, I'm capable of stirring pots too ;) )

I think there are good and bad qualities to both bikes:
I picked the R because it was less of an intimidation for me, and I have no qualms about saying that. The FZ and the R are just two totally different bikes and I honestly don't think they share much between them.
IMO, the R is more of a learning bike in comparison to the FZ6, whereas the FZ6 is more for an experienced rider. (oooo, ahhh, did I just say that.... :eek:)
The FZ6 is also more of a suitable bike for people that enjoy the thrill of serious speed, as opposed to enjoy many twists and turns of a road with greater confidence. That's not to say the FZ6 can't do twists and turns, but I for one would be too fearful of it dropping out from under me while clutching it through a tight U-Turn. I'd like to think I would have more control with the R. The FZ6 is more top heavy, while the R has a better centre of gravity. This is just my opinion and based on the reviews, is why I chose it because it is geared more to me. :rant:
:scared:

Now how many people already hate me? :surrender:

Sparkxx1

I just got my fz6r two weeks ago and I love it! Although I'm more of a naked motorcycle type of guy, I just couldn't resist the fz6r, honestly the more I looked through the internet I found nothing but praise! I don't consider people who haven't ridden it/owned it to have enough experience to talk. So let the haters hate, because I know I'm happy with my purchase,and if they are with theirs, so be it. I'll never understand bashing other people, items, places, etc. To each his own:thumbup:

DragonBlu

XTRAWLD, I have ridden everything from scooters to big cruisers. Liter bikes and mid sized bikes. I think with over forty years riding experience you pretty much nailed the differences. It's all in rider preference and someone is always going to bad mouth your clothes or your bike. I draw the line when they bad mouth my choice of beer. :beer: ride safe! Welcome.

jgangoo

Congratsssssss

Hi Everyone,

I'm a member on the sister site FZ6 forum. For a couple of months I've been researching about the FZ6, truly set on getting one.

I ended up going out last night to purchase a MINT 2009 FZ6R. I'm actually relieved to purchase the R because it is a little more tame than the FZ6's and should handle better and perform better based on the touring I would like to do with it.

Thought I'd just express my excitement on my new purchase. :thumbup:
congrats...have good fun and let us know on a new post what is the difference you feel between 6 and 6 r

KenS

Since the can of worms has now been opened on my thread......here we go bash the noob, but my two cents worth....

Well, of course you would be biased towards the bike one rides. They too are biased to their bikes. It's only fair. It's the same way for cars too.....there are some good folks on that forum, and while I've only known some of them a short time, they are outstanding people from a motorcycling aspect. For the most part, I find they are very experienced riders, riding a myriad of different bikes in their lifetime. Rarely do I find that people graduated from a small bike, straight to an FZ6. The natural progression is more to the R and not the FZ6. I also think I will be more likely to find squidlies on this forum, than I would on that forum.......:don'tknow: Haven't been here long enough to know that, but I know that the FZ6 forum has more experience behind them. Let's hope everyone here proves me wrong, but right now, I'm telling it like it is in the short time I've been here.....(KenS, I'm capable of stirring pots too ;) )

I think there are good and bad qualities to both bikes:
I picked the R because it was less of an intimidation for me, and I have no qualms about saying that. The FZ and the R are just two totally different bikes and I honestly don't think they share much between them.
IMO, the R is more of a learning bike in comparison to the FZ6, whereas the FZ6 is more for an experienced rider. (oooo, ahhh, did I just say that.... :eek:)
The FZ6 is also more of a suitable bike for people that enjoy the thrill of serious speed, as opposed to enjoy many twists and turns of a road with greater confidence. That's not to say the FZ6 can't do twists and turns, but I for one would be too fearful of it dropping out from under me while clutching it through a tight U-Turn. I'd like to think I would have more control with the R. The FZ6 is more top heavy, while the R has a better centre of gravity. This is just my opinion and based on the reviews, is why I chose it because it is geared more to me. :rant:
:scared:

Now how many people already hate me? :surrender:
I think some of my comments may be taken out of context ... where did the "bash the noob" come in? I've ridden many different bikes from sportbikes to cruisers, owned both, and I love all different bikes. The point was that I don't believe I've seen the same level of bashing on this site in comparison to the FZ6 forum about our bike. Our bike is the "noob", if you will, and not given a fair shake. You made some good points that I agree with about not having the confidence in the FZ6's ability to handle twists and turns ... I can attest I have all the confidence in the FZ6R's ability to do so which is what makes this bike so fun. Straight line speed ... ok, been there done that. Constant twists and turns, hills, etc. ... yes please, I'll take another :) If I wanted a straight speed burner I'd get a VMax or something like that.

So, to reiterate the real meaning of my original post is the folks here are very helpful and not so quick to bash. Look through the posts and you'll see several people mentioning they sold or traded their R for another bike and everyone here wishes them well instead of bashes them.

Is the can still open or shall we consider this clarified commentary? :) ... oh, and for the record, we don't hate you at all, we welcome you with open arms! :)

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

XTRAWLD

Thanks all. It sort of did come across wrong to me, but the air is clear.

:hug::iconbeer:

Everyone has their own reasons to like their own bike is sort of what I was getting at. One may feel their bike (or beer) is the superior bike (or beer), regardless of what it is, and they will clearly defend their opinions. But I didn't find the folks at the "other" forum to be rude or rough or bashing....which is what I thought you had implied. I thought it was unfair to lump them all together, and with only a couple posts in on the forum myself, I was already feeling roughed up because I originally started there! :p

Anywho, onward and upward.

I started pricing out three things I will need at the offset - a luggage rack, some Kappa luggage (the only luggage that has a glossy black outer case at no extra charge btw to compliment my bike) and some heated grips.

I still will need to find some sliders and spools..... fa la la la la, la la la touring.....

CDN6R

I just got my fz6r two weeks ago and I love it! Although I'm more of a naked motorcycle type of guy, I just couldn't resist the fz6r, honestly the more I looked through the internet I found nothing but praise! I don't consider people who haven't ridden it/owned it to have enough experience to talk. So let the haters hate, because I know I'm happy with my purchase,and if they are with theirs, so be it. I'll never understand bashing other people, items, places, etc. To each his own:thumbup:
Sparkxx1,, Being a naked bike type of guy I guess you would like this. It is a naked version of the North American FZ6R sold in Europe as the XJ6. Myself I really like this version.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

XTRAWLD

Antonio Gonzalez TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack (Yamaha FZ6R & XJ6, '09-) for Givi, Hepco-Becker, & Krauser topcases - GPT.06.479.10000.B here is the link for the rack

TwistedThrottle.com : Coocase V28 Fusion topcase, Basic edition, matte black Save $60 - CC.V28.B and here is the link for the box. You need to select the adapter kit for which specific rack ...you get though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antonio has a great (great price, great looks, great all around) setup for luggage... digging deeper, you can get matching hard saddlebags as well.

As to heated grips.... jspansel had them, and they felt good... I'm leaning toward the gerbing jacket liner though... think if I keep my core body temps up (with one liner instead of 5-7 layers) my fingers will be ok.
That's certainly the rack I want, but I'm buying a Kappa 42 litre instead. There is a great store not far from me that I can order it from. Ordering from the US can sometimes be a pain, with customs, etc, and I've had bad experiences with items getting stuck at the border.
http://images.wemoto.com/full/LUGGAGE_KAPPA/10026577.jpg
The local folks also have a set of Oxford grips that I'll be picking up. :D

I think I will be buying a new soft bag to put on the seat behind me. My current one (by Gears - served me well) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/0000_Gears_Navigator_Tail_Bag_Black_633656302099707648.jpg has a busted handle so it's really cumbersome to carry once it's off the bike. Need to buy a replacement. I might just pick up a dry sack around the 40 litre capacity just to throw on the back in addition to the Kappa instead of an actual tail bag.

XTRAWLD

Hard to believe, but today was the first day I took it out for a ride.

I can't believe this bike. I was smiling from ear to ear today. What a difference from my little Ninja 250.

It's incredibly smooth, shifting into another gear finds a whole lot of new power, which made me quite happy. I didn't even get on it hard and upon just general shifting the power was just....there.... On the Ninja I really had to fight it almost to get going. (It was a great learning bike however, don't get me wrong). The first gear on the R takes me easily through an intersection, usually on the Ninja at a big intersection of 6 lanes I had to shift in the middle (never a wise idea), but the R just propelled me forward nice and smooth.

It turns quite easily. The smoothness of the tranny is really confidence inspiring and I feel like I can lean into corner confidently, which really surprised me. It wanted to turn.

My knees melt into the tank. The lower body can sway the bike with little effort because of the seating position. The seat is very comfortable, and "soft" for lack of a better word. I don't think I need to use a seat cushion on our long trips, the seat might actually be perfect - dare I say?!

I haven't made my mind up about the handlebar position. I need more seat time for that, but my shoulders are a little sore. I determined that the wind is kicking up right on the bottom of my visor and I think I'm going to invest in a double bubble windscreen to solve that problem. That might be causing my shoulder stiffness, but regardless I need the wind to kick over my head and not into my face.

The only drawback I've learned today is the whole lower leg area. When coming to a stop and putting my leg down, my calf leans against the peg. Very annoying. Also to find the kickstand is incredibly annoying because the nibby lies in behind the peg and I almost struggle to find it and put it down.

I kept up with hubby's Z750S just fine. He used to easily leave me in the dust on the Ninja, but today I was right there with him.

I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. I can't wait for our trip to the Gap next month.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Hard to believe, but today was the first day I took it out for a ride.

I can't believe this bike. I was smiling from ear to ear today. What a difference from my little Ninja 250.

It's incredibly smooth, shifting into another gear finds a whole lot of new power, which made me quite happy. I didn't even get on it hard and upon just general shifting the power was just....there.... On the Ninja I really had to fight it almost to get going. (It was a great learning bike however, don't get me wrong). The first gear on the R takes me easily through an intersection, usually on the Ninja at a big intersection of 6 lanes I had to shift in the middle (never a wise idea), but the R just propelled me forward nice and smooth.

It turns quite easily. The smoothness of the tranny is really confidence inspiring and I feel like I can lean into corner confidently, which really surprised me. It wanted to turn.

My knees melt into the tank. The lower body can sway the bike with little effort because of the seating position. The seat is very comfortable, and "soft" for lack of a better word. I don't think I need to use a seat cushion on our long trips, the seat might actually be perfect - dare I say?!

I haven't made my mind up about the handlebar position. I need more seat time for that, but my shoulders are a little sore. I determined that the wind is kicking up right on the bottom of my visor and I think I'm going to invest in a double bubble windscreen to solve that problem. That might be causing my shoulder stiffness, but regardless I need the wind to kick over my head and not into my face.

The only drawback I've learned today is the whole lower leg area. When coming to a stop and putting my leg down, my calf leans against the peg. Very annoying. Also to find the kickstand is incredibly annoying because the nibby lies in behind the peg and I almost struggle to find it and put it down.

I kept up with hubby's Z750S just fine. He used to easily leave me in the dust on the Ninja, but today I was right there with him.

I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. I can't wait for our trip to the Gap next month.
Glad you like it! It is an absolutely great bike. I dont have mine anymore since I rode it into the side of a mountain ;), but I do miss it. I moved to an R6 and its a bit much more than what is needed on the street and not nearly as comfy. The FZ6R can take anything you throw at it. It is a very smooth bike that can do it all and has all the power you need on the street. I rode 8+ hour rides on it WITH my wife on the back. Great bike. Enjoy it. Be safe.

XTRAWLD

Please be careful on your trip to the Gap.. Long way from Canada.
Agreed. We are planning to get there and back, back roads only for an 8 day trip, including the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's been 7 months in the making so far.