Just bought a FZ6R...

jearnshaw

Well I just bought a leftover 2012 FZ6R. This is my second bike, my first one was 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. Wasn't a bad bike but not just for me.

The Yamaha on the other hand I love...to be honest I was going back and forth between this and a Ninja 650 and I am glad I went with the FZ. The only thing I don't like is the high insurance rates(why in the world is the FZ has the rate as a R6).

I plan on using the bike as a sport-tour machine and I think my first mod will be bar risers are new handlebars...not sure yet. I have a 800 mile trip planned this coming up weekend and I was instructed by the dealer to put on as many miles on the bike before Friday so they can do my first service and check over the bike before I head on.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

congrats, the bike will be great in the mountain area you're in! fellow carolinian here

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

arse

Good to see you made your way over. I'm akronorka on adv forums :)

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

Great looking bike... and welcome...

I don't know what kind of tolerance you have, but, if you're planning on ~400 miles/day, you might want to think about an Airhawk seat topper. 6R is an awesome bike, but the stock seat can be brutal on long trips...

Ride safe...

jearnshaw

I did a 70 mile stretch yesterday and I am not sure if I am just used to a cruiser style seating or if it is the bike, but the seat did feel a little sore when I got back....

SpawnXX

Premium Member

bobski

Congratulations jearnshaw and welcome to the Forum. I have ridden my 6R as a light tourer for three years and love it. But the adventure touring bug has bitten me and I'm close to trading the FZ for an F700GS. Sooo, I will have some FZ6R accessory parts for sale including: Genuine Yamaha center stand; Shogun no cut frame sliders; Rox bar risers; Genuine Yamaha double bubble windscreen; Puig tall touring screen. All are in excellent condition and pretty much look like new. If you (or anyone else) are interested just PM me with an offer. I'm located in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.

Invader Jim

I did a 70 mile stretch yesterday and I am not sure if I am just used to a cruiser style seating or if it is the bike, but the seat did feel a little sore when I got back....
Cruiser seats are generally more comfortable in my experience. However, once I got used the the FZ6R seat I found it is not bad. My highest mileage in a day is 370 (185 each way) and I was fine. You will adapt and learn where/how is most comfortable on the 6R.

BKP

Cruiser seats are generally more comfortable in my experience. However, once I got used the the FZ6R seat I found it is not bad. My highest mileage in a day is 370 (185 each way) and I was fine. You will adapt and learn where/how is most comfortable on the 6R.
I give you credit, Jim... I couldn't come anywhere near that with the stock seat...

Probably should think about a new screen name... how 'bout Brass Ass?

jearnshaw

I think I will be fine with the seat for now but I am looking into a 1 inch bar riser... I only have 180 miles on the bike so far so I will have to see how well I get use to it.

2wheelie

Welcome!
For starters, since you don't have much time left before you go - go to any chain auto store and get the beads seat cover. Cut it to the size of your front seat and secure from each side by running something (like small tie-down or such) from under the seat. This will be much better than a stock seat, and will cover you for the trip. If you’ll like it, you’ll keep it if not, then get a gel one.

BKP

I think I will be fine with the seat for now but I am looking into a 1 inch bar riser... I only have 180 miles on the bike so far so I will have to see how well I get use to it.
Take a look at the SW Motech's on twistedthrottle.com. I put the 20mm (0.8"), and probably should have gone with the 25mm full inch. I was just concerned about stretching the throttle cable, however, it worked out fine.