Is my bike still rideable?

dsanchez222

So I put a new +1 front sprocket on. In the process I had to loosen the nuts on the back of the swingarm. Well I guess I thought I tightened up the nuts that hold on the end plate, but I guess I didn't :facepalm:.

I noticed when I got back to work after lunch that the endplate and nuts had fallen off. So my question is, is the bike still rideable or should I stay off it until the replacement part comes in? The back axles is on very tight and so far the back wheel hasn't slipped any on the right side, but am I still okay to ride?

CrazyCawi

If it were me i wouldnt but its your call. At 65 mph last thing id want is to realize i made the wrong choice and should have taken the car.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
As long as your axle is tight and the chain is in spec slack wise there should be no issue. They just pull our axle when its loose to align/tighten/loosen the chain. Once the axle is tight, they do nothing. But get them soon so you can adjust your chain again when you need too.

dsanchez222

Thanks for the advice. I figured that I would be okay without them. I just wanted to be sure. Like someone already said, better to be safe than sorry at 65mph. I did manage to make my own end plate by drilling a hole through a piece of metal I had that was almost the same size. I'll post a pic later of how I did it. The part should be here in 7-10 days.

Y

yellowfz

Had one fall off when I was doing the Mudflap bracket design, my fault, I made a plate out of steel until I got the replacement in. After I got the replacement in I drilled holes in the studs and inserted a cotter pin, wont come off ever again.
Engine torque will make the axle bolt move part of why those plates are there, but if you don't dog it on takeoff should be fine.

dsanchez222

I've been riding with it gone for a few days now. So far no difference in how the bike feels. I check to make sure the axle is still lined up properly before I go riding each time. So far there has been no slippage.