I'm Getting Fat

WenMark

Holy Cow:eek: since the holidays I have put on like 12 pounds. This weather is not helping:rant: Can't get out and exercise, just too damn cold, plus who wants to slip on ice and get hurt. Come on spring. My gas mileage is going to be terrible if I don't drop my extra baggage. Anyone else carrying more than they should?

bmw675

if you gain 12# you just have to have your passenger loose 12#. sounds right doesn't it?

i dont know if you are a big soda drinker, but i stopped drinking soda 1/1/2008 and i lost 10 pounds in 6 monthes and a total of 20 pounds since. with no change to diet or exercise. i heard that was a big contributor to excess weight and future kidney problems, and thats why i gave it a shot.

WenMark

I stopped drinking sodas last year. The 1st time I lost like 45 lbs. It was b/c of diet coke. I was drinking 6-8 of them per day. It made me hungry for really salty items like french fries or potato chips then I wanted something really sweet like cheesecake or chocolate. I stopped drinking them completely and just drank water. I must of been drinking 2 gallons per day. man was I dehydrated. I think that is what it does. Well anyway I gained about 6 lbs of water weight the 1st couple of weeks then started losing it like crazy. This time I think it is a combination of too much beer and home cooking. I need stop the snacking but I've been bored with no riding. Does anyone have a diet regime they follow that is good. Thanks:)

JonKerr

Elite Member

Craxican

Well...props to you for trying to change sir...props to you.

As for quick workouts...i can give you some really quick workouts that will have you feeling it the next day. The workout of today was brought to you by the word TABATA...and the number 8

Mix up sit-ups, air squats, push-ups, burpees, etc...(stuff that can be done around the house)

Do 2 minute intervals of lets say air squats...do as many as you can in two minutes...then take a 1 minute break...then do it again for a total of 8 minutes

This can also be switched up with....lets say you do 2 minutes of push-ups, followed by 2 minutes of sit-ups...followed by 1 minute break...then do it again for a total of 15 minutes...so on and so forth

great way to train in small amounts of time...all the actions are functional actions...helps boost metabolic conditioning...teaches BREATHING (very important)...can be done watching tv too...easy to compare progress...

joloy133

There's also a mental component to weight loss that would help. Although it's probably a pain it would help addresses a major barrier most folks underestimate.

Start by carrying a small notebook and keep a journal, log all the food you eat and how much. Try to do this for at least 1 month. The idea is to get your eating pattern in depth as well as caloric intake. When you see the values it engages another aspect of your mind that helps with diet and exercise. I did this for a nutrition class in college. Until there is an attitude adjustment towards diet all other options don't tend to last. In short, you can actually discipline yourself to eat properly. It's no secret; eat less, eat food good for you, exercise. (It's like taking care of your bike if you think about it.)

Bigevildoer

I was just over 270 at one point before they found I have severe thyroid disease. I had gained 100#'s in one year before I was diagnosed.
my doc thought I might have something wrong with my thyroid as well a couple of years ago - I used to be a semi-pro kickboxer, and would workout 5 days a week, 2.5 to 3 hours per session with a world renowned coach... I got down to about 203 at my best weight, but should have been around 185 considering my diet and amount of exercise...

doc did some blood tests, ends up my metabolism is just barely above the point where thyroid medication is necessary.

Really sucks stepping into the ring with guys who weight 235 and are solid muscle, when I should be with guys at 185!! :eek::eek::eek: made me sneaky though.. hehehehe..

So, now a few years after a wrecked shoulder (almost completely torn rotator cuff) preventing me from kickboxing any more, my weight's gone up to about 215, and I really have to fight to keep it there...

Really sucks -- feel for you Jonkerr!

T.

JonKerr

Elite Member

joloy133

Unfortunately my thyroid disease nearly killed me. It was literally off the charts. Normal values for TSH is .4 to 4.0. If you're 5 to 20 you need medication and are considered high risk. If you're over 20, you need meds NOW and they need to check other things to see if there's been other damage. Mine came back just saying "Greater than 100." The scale only goes to 100. The doc said he's never seen anyone with it higher than 50 survive. I was going into kidney and liver failure. Luckily they were able to stop the progress with intense medications and I never even had to go into the hospital. That was 5 years ago. The issues like the liver and kidney and the thyroid are all under control now but there's nothing to magically take the 100 pounds off.
Oh well,....... your pics look good. Just carry on, do what you gotta do.