I just got "profiled"

FSXlover

So I get a phone call today from my mom while I'm at work(I'm 18 so I still live with my parents) she is freaking out because these guys are banging on the door yelling "POLICE open the door!" and banging on the door so hard they were about to break the glass. She looks out the window and sees two people without uniforms on and a car that has no police markings. So naturally she doesn't answer the door because they could be faking. She then calls the police and tells them what is happening and they send a guy out. He comes in alone and tells her they are from the city next to us. He then ask her if she has a son over 18 and starts to question her. She if asking him what the heck is going on but they won't answer her. Then she ask him to leave because they won't tell her what is going on.

I'm wondering what the heck I did because I'm a rather boring person. Go to bed at 8 P.M. wake up at 4 A.M. and go to work for the day.

Turns out that since my motorcycle is so "uncommon" they are questioning me because some dude took a picture of a FZ6R that someone drove while breaking into a house. They now want to look at my bike for some reason like it would really help their case out.... The day of the robbery I was at work with my 9 co-workers.... and the city that it happened in is a terrible place to be in and ride around.

I'm gonna go ahead and let them look at it tomorrow after work so they will leave me and my family the heck alone(I stated that they were not allowed to touch the bike and he got all defensive with me:wtfgun:).

This is just a really weird situation that I thought I would share.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Maadi

I understand you are a nice guy and want it to go away but you don't have to consent to this - it is an illegal search! Make them go through proper channels if they want to see your bike. Unbelievable!

JSP

Super Moderator
Warrant? No? Bye bye! ;)

FSXlover

My plan is to see how nice they are after work tomorrow. If they show one sign of negativity I'll tell them to leave.

bmw675

I understand you are a nice guy and want it to go away but you don't have to consent to this - it is an illegal search! Make them go through proper channels if they want to see your bike. Unbelievable!
unfortunately, if you don't cooperate, they can easily make your life hell. If you are innocent, you are better of just letting them go ahead and look to get them off your back.

fwiw, I have no problem with law enforcement. Being a former city employee, I've worked with a few, and understand that there are many good ones out there.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

bmw675

I was going to suggest that. Some cops (and these seem like the type) get really defensive over being recorded, so make sure you know the laws in your state regarding recording devices and law enforcement. If they tell you it's illegal to film them (even if it does violate state laws) tell them it's not because every time those laws have been challenged in court, they always are ruled unconstitutional.
or tell them, "you have rules, I have rules. Either I'm recording or we're done here." :cool:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

2QUIK4U

Please contact your attorney so that you are sure to have your rights protected.

Rookasaki

OK, I can see knocking on the door "loudly" to get ones attention. Done that a million times. I agree with your mother on not answering the door! Very smart of her to call the local police to verify they were cops. The cop should have told your mom why the other city police where there.... so she wouldn't freak out and think something might have happened to you. Jsp is right, you invite an officer into your home, you can easily say "get out!" Unless of course while they are present they locate evidence, then your screwed! They have the right to stay in that area until they get a warrant etc... Obviously in this situation nothing was illegal and no one did anything wrong, so they have to leave. Let the cops do there thing, they're just trying to follow up on a lead to a crime.
I would of went about it a totally different way. But I'm but one Cop!

Rookasaki

I was going to suggest that. Some cops (and these seem like the type) get really defensive over being recorded, so make sure you know the laws in your state regarding recording devices and law enforcement. If they tell you it's illegal to film them (even if it does violate state laws) tell them it's not because every time those laws have been challenged in court, they always are ruled unconstitutional.
However if you film a crime, for instance if I shoot a suspect or get into a fight... I have the right to seize your video for evidence! That's California however...

Rookasaki

lol and it's not being "profiled" it's a lead they are investigating. Profiled would be if you got pulled over because you're a motorcycle rider or because your "white" etc....

efforex

lol and it's not being "profiled" it's a lead they are investigating. Profiled would be if you got pulled over because you're a motorcycle rider or because your "white" etc....
I dont know about you guys but im getting pulled over everday cause im white :D

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member