Hypermiling

bigddy263

Has anyone tried hypermiling their FZ6R? Just curious what the absolute best possible gas mileage is for our bikes. Anyone have any techniques that increase mileage? For example shifting technique, short warmup period, ect... I usually get about 50 ish mpg in everyday mixed riding on my bike with the 17 tooth front sproket. Last night I rode about 160 miles on 55mph max roads pretty steady and still have two bars of fuel available on my gauge. I was trying to short shift and rarely saw over 4000rpm until I was in 6th.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

bigddy263

Doesn't the engine actually have to work harder (worse mileage) if the rpms are too low?

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

RooKie

Higher gears = better gas mileage

If you really want to get max gas mileage I recommend the following shifting points:

0 - 10mph = 1st
11 - 17mph = 2nd
18 - 23mph = 3rd
24 - 28mph = 4th
29 - 33mph = 5th
34mph+ = 6th

Using this info your acceleration will not be the fastest and I do not recommend it for use in heavy traffic when having max acceleration can get you out of trouble; however, if you follow this while cruising on streets with normal traffic flow your gas mileage should improve.

linkgt

I was getting very good mileage when I first got the bike last march... on the 40-47 mpg range. However, I would "race" the engine a lot, shift quick often, and take it to 130mph prob once every weekend.. lol (i know prob shouldn't have done that)

Anyway by october or so of last year, my mileage went down..I changed air filter, spark plugs, oil change, +1 front sprocket, and a synched throttle bodies(earlier this year).. The best I have gotten has been 37 mpg... no matter how easy i take it on the throttle. I guess I stressed the engine too much or something by taking it fast every week :/

And I know I keep repeating this.. but the +1 up front sure bogs down the bike. Can barely take the bike up form 120mph.The exhaust helped a lot though, Feels a lot more like stock now. Cant wait till I get PCV...

wtnotch

Ha! Impossible in California. Try going 55 on the freeway and see who's front grille you become a part of :D

The -most- I have been able to get while driving 'responsibly' and with the flow of traffic has been about 45MPG.

Subtract a couple MPG from that for when I added the TBR and a couple more after going naked.

Russ

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

linkgt

Did the +1 give you better acceleration? it’s a trade for acceleration vs. top end speed right? so do you regret the sprocket change?
HELLLL NO!! haha you have it the other way around. There's actually a really good thread on this which I will find and edit later.. I was regretting it until i install exhaust, read below.

Theoretically you're supposed to get higher end speed with a +1 up front, but our bikes just doesn't have the HP to overcome the drag for this to happen. It's actually slower on acceleration AND lower top end speed(highest I ever got was 124.. people say though that the speedo is off by 6% with stock sprocket so 130 would mean about 124 or something so...)

The biggest benefit of the +1 up front was the bike being A LOT smoother on the highway and taking the gears a litttle longer to shift. It's so much smoother and reduces the vibration by a ton.

I installed the exhaust last week and the added HP helped acceleration a lot.. it ALMOST feels like stock now. I think with PCV and marthy maps, it should feel golden again...so in the end, I dont suggest putting +1 up front UNTIL you have AT LEAST an exhaust installed so the change isnt too drastic.

RooKie

HELLLL NO!! haha you have it the other way around. There's actually a really good thread on this which I will find and edit later.. I was regretting it until i install exhaust, read below.

Theoretically you're supposed to get higher end speed with a +1 up front, but our bikes just doesn't have the HP to overcome the drag for this to happen. It's actually slower on acceleration AND lower top end speed(highest I ever got was 124.. people say though that the speedo is off by 6% with stock sprocket so 130 would mean about 124 or something so...)

The biggest benefit of the +1 up front was the bike being A LOT smoother on the highway and taking the gears a litttle longer to shift. It's so much smoother and reduces the vibration by a ton.

I installed the exhaust last week and the added HP helped acceleration a lot.. it ALMOST feels like stock now. I think with PCV and marthy maps, it should feel golden again...so in the end, I dont suggest putting +1 up front UNTIL you have AT LEAST an exhaust installed so the change isnt too drastic.
Doesn't make sense!

a = old top speed reading
b = new top speed reading
c = old sprocket
d = new sprocket

This means that a/c = b/d in ideal conditions

a/c = b/d
a/c*d = b
130/16*17 = b
138.125 = new top speed

I guess I just can't get through my head that drag can bring down your top speed so significantly. *sigh*

motoguy82

I had the same experience. I went back to stock gearing because I didn't like the +1 front sprocket. The bike couldn't pull to redline in top gear with the +1, so lower top speed on this bike (granted no mods on mine at the time).

linkgt

Doesn't make sense!

a = old top speed reading
b = new top speed reading
c = old sprocket
d = new sprocket

This means that a/c = b/d in ideal conditions

a/c = b/d
a/c*d = b
130/16*17 = b
138.125 = new top speed

I guess I just can't get through my head that drag can bring down your top speed so significantly. *sigh*

yea its pretty confusing.. just look at the link i provided on top ^^^... But I know drag, and just the lack of HP doesnt really let the fz6r take advantage of a +1 up front... if it still runs like bleh even after PCV, i might just go back to 16.. just put in that mpg doctor thingy that fixes speedometer reading.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member