how to cut running light wires of turning signals

lulublack

Hi, I just wanna have turning signals with only turning lights working and without running lights all the time on; I assume I gotta cut some wire, but I'm not sure which one (colour) I have to disconnect in order to have only flashes working. Can anybody help me?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

bmw675

i believe that if you just want to cut a wire to keep the running lights from coming on, it may cause you a fast turn signal. my flushmounts are only two wire (no running lights) and it has a fast flash.

not sure which wire it is, but like marthy said, it wont be black.
two other choices, more than likely the running lights will be the same color on both sides, but the wires for the turn signals will be different for left and right. so it should be the wires that are the same on both sides, other than the black.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

edk442

i believe that if you just want to cut a wire to keep the running lights from coming on, it may cause you a fast turn signal. my flushmounts are only two wire (no running lights) and it has a fast flash.
i don't know that you'd get a fast flash for cutting the running light. flushmounts get the fast flash because the LED's don't have enough resistance for the bike to recognize there's actually a turn signal. therefore it goes into trouble mode

lulublack

Guys, thank to all of you. I'm gonna do that this afternoon (Italian time), but still I'm wondering whether or not I'll have to move the fairing or just the wire trminal is reachable easily? good day (while I'm writing, You're still sleeping!!!) ;)

Sage

you can reach the connectors w/o removing the fairing, and could probably remove the signals entirely so you have room to work, I just found it easier to remove the fairing so I could see what I was doing so nothing would break when removing the signals.

MikeN02

Blue is the running lights yes. Just I would cut it from the turn signal wire not from the bike's OEM wires.

Now, you won't get the fast flashing. BMW, the two wires are the turn signal wire, and the ground. The third is the running light.

You only get flash flashing if you put on after-market turn signals without a relay. This is because

After-Market turn signals draw less power then the stock turn signals. With that in mind, the bike thinks the turn signals are dying and so they start to blink fast.

lulublack

Guys, I did it this afternoon. The blue wires are the one of the running lights: I cut them and everything works fine (not any faster). Now I'm dealing with the problem to colour the bulbs orange because in Italy you can't buy in a regular store bilux bulbs orange. Why bilux if I had cut the running lights wire? Because the lamp holder is for bilux bulbs (they are different also from the rear ones). Just to let you know and to share with you my frustration while painting bulbs with orange glass paint!!!

MikeN02

Rome wasn't built in a day you know.

Why do you need a bike in italy for? I imagine all the ladies have already fallen for you.

lulublack

A bike in Rome is even more useful to do some funny slalom in the trafic and to ride during your WE throughout beatifull countryside or coast. you should come to ride here (not by bike, of course!!!).

MikeN02

My cousin took a trip there 2 years ago. Said he loved it and would go back. I would love to.