How much can you lower front end......

JBAX

Before you need to change the rear suspension or lower or make mods to the rear. I read an article in SuperStreetBike "FZ6R Better than you Think" where they look to have lowered a 2011 as much as possible by brining the forks up thru the Triple Tree to the maximum (just before they hit the bar.) It looks like like 4-5cm. But they did nothing to the rear shock. That obviously makes it much more a SS set up and puts more weight on the front, and increases the riders lean angle.

I was going to lower mine a small amount (like 5 millimeters) to see if I notice any difference. Has anyone dropped the front by bringing the forks up thru the triple tree a lot, and not changed rear set up and had it be a "good" change.

I know this changes the bikes handling and geometry, but that IS the idea.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts and feedback on this.

JSP

Super Moderator
I personally would not go more than 1/2". Some have done 2" and say its fine, but that is quite a lot. 5mm-10mm would be a good start. Start at 5mm increments.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JBAX

Thanks!

Marthy....

I am 152-158lbs.

FORK SPRINGS
(I looked up correct (road riding, not racing) springs on Race Tech Calculator and it recommended .9 for riding/.95 for racing. Stock Springs are .9 I believe. So no need to change a thing for my weight.

REAR SHOCK
Just going to Adjust Preload/Sag to my weight. (set to 3 right now, I get about 1/5 inches sag). I could dial up to 4.

Stock Spring is 9.4kg (Race Tech calculator recommends 19kg road riding and 19.38 racing) Am I mistaken in thinking I can just dial up the preload on the stock spring and achieve the same thing??

Chucker

Your springs might be OK for spring rate, but they're progressive. For sport riding, straight rate is better. You will also really see a difference by beefing up your oil. I suggest 15W.

For your shock spring, cranking up preload takes up all of your travel, which creates a harsh ride that doesn't respond well. You should have your preload set in the middle of the range, hence the need for stiffer springs.

I say go for a whole new set of Race Tech springs with heavier oil. It'll be a completely different bike.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member