How Do You Guys Get Your Bike to Track?

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Have you looked into any other options, like just renting a truck from a car rental place, or renting a truck from Home Depot? I've personally never looked at prices but I can't imagine it would be too bad.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Detrich

I'll get the van fixed soon. It runs ok- just the ck engine light came on again last week. On Fords, it's like a wild goose chase. If I remove the seats, I ought to be able to use the seat anchors to tie down the bike. So I'd just need to invest in some ramps and ties. Prolly $150 or so? And, it'd be nice to have an easy way to transport any given time...

But, again, I've never done this b4. And I don't even know how to tech my bike for track either. That's why I'm thinking I might sit this one out until I get the van fixed and dimensions measured. I'd feel a lot safer knowing the bike is secure inside the van rather than on a trailer hitch that is exposed to the outside.

I did some searching and yah I found a thread & pix of someone on CBR forum transporting with Dodge caravan without issues- tho its a tight fit... I guess I also need to buy a cheap canopy and some accessories. Really want to try this. Hopefully soon.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Last edited:

oOKooZOo

My opinion is not to waste money on a ramp if you're putting it in a van. All you need is a friend and a girlfriend to help you manpower it into your van. That's all I use to get it in and out of my old man's pickup.

Detrich

I measured the clearance, and length & width are no problem. But, in parked position ground clearance to the brake fluid reservoir on the bike is 43". But, the opening on my Windstar is 39.5". Ugh =(

Well, I've been having lotta problems with this mini van lately anyways and I just might sell it and think of some other solution then. I might sell my sedan too, because after BMW screwed me over on the subframe cracking (factory defect) my blood boils just seeing the letters "BMW." And, now that I know how poorly they treat their customers, I will never in this lifetime ever buy any car, bike, or toilet paper they make ever again. And, I'm making sure everyone knows what they did to screw me over. German Nazi bastards.

Ill ck out the cargo dimensions of a dodge caravan first I guess, since those base models are not too pricey. Odyssey and Sienna are way too pricey and out of the question.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Detrich

Yah. My goal is to come up with a self sufficient solution- hopefully the cheapest way. Will have the van tunes up next week and see how that goes.

Anyone have one of these or tries this? Wonder how well it works? $200 + the cost of a tow hitch might be acceptable if I can get the van fixed.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049IACSO/ref=aw_ls_5_1?colid=11EALLC8UI12H&coliid=I37Y7Q9889ECA3"]600 lb Heavy Duty Motorcycle Sport Bike Hitch Carrier Hauler Rack Trailer with Loading Ramp:Amazon:Automotive[/ame]

bmw675

Anyone have one of these or tries this? Wonder how well it works? $200 + the cost of a tow hitch might be acceptable if I can get the van fixed.
The link isn't working for me, but if it's what I'm thinking of, basically a rail that your bike sits on sideways behind the van, mounted into the hitch bracket?

I've heard from numerous people that they are not that great. Not sturdy and puts a lot of weight behind the rear axle, acting as a lever on your suspension (tipsy). Can do a number on your suspension.

Detrich

yah, the bike sits parallel flush to the back of the van, and the hitch inserts into the tow hitch. it's rated for 600 lbs, but a bike would weigh significantly less. mine's about 417 lbs. but, i see the concern. oddly the amazon reviews aren't that bad tho. it got 4.5 stars. u-haul can install a tow hitch rated for 600lbs for about $250. so $250 + $180 is just under $500 for the entire setup.

one guy on our FaceBook riding group said he hauled his CBR600rr to track this way. he was initially nervous, but he said he drove carefully and his bike made it there and back home safely. in LA, some tracks are very far away. so, renting a u-haul and paying for the mileage just isn't worth it to me.

The link isn't working for me, but if it's what I'm thinking of, basically a rail that your bike sits on sideways behind the van, mounted into the hitch bracket?

I've heard from numerous people that they are not that great. Not sturdy and puts a lot of weight behind the rear axle, acting as a lever on your suspension (tipsy). Can do a number on your suspension.

JSP

Super Moderator
yah, the bike sits parallel flush to the back of the van, and the hitch inserts into the tow hitch. it's rated for 600 lbs, but a bike would weigh significantly less. mine's about 417 lbs. but, i see the concern. oddly the amazon reviews aren't that bad tho. it got 4.5 stars. u-haul can install a tow hitch rated for 600lbs for about $250. so $250 + $180 is just under $500 for the entire setup.

one guy on our FaceBook riding group said he hauled his CBR600rr to track this way. he was initially nervous, but he said he drove carefully and his bike made it there and back home safely. in LA, some tracks are very far away. so, renting a u-haul and paying for the mileage just isn't worth it to me.

Do NOT do that. The carrier may be rated for 600 pounds but I guarantee you your hitch is NOT. Your hitch cannot hold more than 400 pounds tongue weight for a class III. Which I believe is the highest they can put on that van. Average tongue weight limits for that is 300-400 lbs. You are already at and over that limit and more with gas and oil, coolant, etc in the bike.

That will not be safe by any means. Get the hitch and rent the uhaul motorcycle trailer or find a cheap trailer to buy.

Even if they could fit a class IV or higher, that is a lot of weight at the hitch for your van itself to bear. I would definitely recommend an alternative.

Last edited:

bmw675

Even if you are under the weight limit, that's only statically, the 'working' load would be more as you hit bumps and what not. I say its too much of a risk to both your bike, and vehicle. I've been to 5 days, and I've seen numerous different ways people have transported their bikes. I can not remember anyone using one of those set ups.

anything from truck beds, to sprinter vans (heineken does that), folding trailers, uhaul enclosed and open trailers, cargo trailers, horse trailers, toy hauler/campers, motorhomes, ride to the track, ect.... Alot of options out there.
For the budget minded individual, I see alot of people with the folding trailer from harbor freight. Cant recommend them one way or the other, just throwing that out there as it is cheap and doesn't take up much space when folded up in storage.

JSP

Super Moderator

bmw675

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

we have a few guys that show up to Summit Point that did exactly that... the trailer goes on sale now and then...

put that with the a good chock from them and you can roll your bike right on up and locked into place quickly. Couple of good eye bolts for tie downs, throw on a cheap trunk for gear/gas/etc. and you're good to go for under $500
You could even bolt a place to put an umbrella and have a comfy place to sit in-between sessions
I'm always getting coupons in my email for 20% off any one item. perfect candidate.