How Do You Guys Get Your Bike to Track?

Detrich

Has anyone ever used their passenger mini van to transport their bike to track? If so, could you share how difficult it was and what was involved?

I have a '95 Ford Windstar that I can remove the interior seats. But, I've never transported my bike before & dunno if my bike would fit in there properly or not. I know I'll have to measure it and get a ramp, as well as tie down cables. But, it would be nice to know if anyone has done this and knows it works well and/ or what the gotcha's are.

Thanks in advance for sounding in.

Chucker

I rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for $15/day. Has a built in chock and tie down rings. Takes 10 minutes to load and secure the bike.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

I don't have a tow hitch though. I think those cost at least $400 to buy and weld on. Am trying to avoid that cost if possible.

anson650

I doubt the back entrance is high enough. I have a "trailer in a bag". Way too expensive, long story. Talk to the people at "u-haul". I believe you can rent a hitch that bolts on, not welded.
Anson

bmw675

There are a few people at the track around here that use full size vans. Of course they are a bit taller, but they also have rear doors instead of a hatch.

If you removed the seats, I could see it working length wise, I would be most concerned with the height.

But me personally, I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer. It's amazing when I'm loading up, I say "I should take that too, and that...and..."

Never can have enough room.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Deathdiesel

I rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for $15/day. Has a built in chock and tie down rings. Takes 10 minutes to load and secure the bike.
What do they call their motorcycle trailers? Im extremely interested in this, literally right now, going to take an advanced riders course soon, but its 2 hours away, and 5 hours riding, id be tired by the time I got there if i rode the whole way.

Off topic I know sorry

bmw675

What do they call their motorcycle trailers? Im extremely interested in this, literally right now, going to take an advanced riders course soon, but its 2 hours away, and 5 hours riding, id be tired by the time I got there if i rode the whole way.

Off topic I know sorry
Uhaul has one trailer that they actually refer to as a 'motorcycle trailer.' that's the $15 one. However, It is basically just a ramp over the axle to the tongue, open to the road everywhere, but where you roll it up.

I thought it was worth spending $10 more and got a 4'x8' open trailer with ramp. It worked great, and had a 'v' notch in the front that helped keep the front wheel straight.

Crpngdth

I don't have a tow hitch though. I think those cost at least $400 to buy and weld on. Am trying to avoid that cost if possible.
the first time that sucker falls going in, or out, youll be wishing you saved and spent the cash to transport it properly :)

track days are fun. dont ruin the day with something that can be avoided

JSP

Super Moderator

Chucker

Off topic I know sorry
The technical term they use for them is "motorcycle trailer". :p

Hellgate

Harbor Freight folding trailer. I've been to both coasts and back twice.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Detrich

Some friends are going to chuck Walla next month. But I don't really want to go until I can figure out how to transport bike. I might sit this one out cuz my van jut broke down yesterday. LoL. Sigh.

Fizzer6R

we used to see a guy at track days that used a dodge caravan i believe it was, with all the seats taken out. it fit, but just barely

i've rented/used cargo vans, same concept really, basically empty passenger vans. in fords i've had, they don't have standard hook rings like a pickup, they have slots in metal strips going along the side walls. still able to hook tie-downs to secure for transport