High rev after shifting.

xleeb0y13x

So this one was kind of odd. I'm going to get on the freeway and it's a on ramp you have to get a bit aggressive with. Cars getting on and off very busy so you pretty much need to haul ***. As I'm up shifting I get into 5th and the rpm's hit 5k when I hear the motor rev really high. I look down and see 11k but with no power as if I'm in neutral. I let off the throttle all the way and it was as if nothing happened. Bike shifted fine after that but it's eating away at me what could have caused that. Any thoughts?

Sent while running with scissors.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

xleeb0y13x

Yeah today it's shifting fine but boy is it messing with me. I'm one of those people that when something happens I gotta know why.

JSP

Super Moderator
Either a weird slip between gears, or your clutch is starting to slip... How many miles on her?

ej'sfz

yea ive had that happen a few times if you shift just a tad too quick and it doesnt catch into the next gear it acts like its in nuetral for a second and then pops right into gear....not sure why though, and i dont think theres any internal adjustments to take up slack

EsrTek

How high on the revs where you when shifting??

I found a repeatable issue w/ shifting at 10k +... have to really slam the gear into place in the high revs.

SixRFixR

Not quite getting into the next gear may happen if you don't let the shift lever fully return to its at-rest position before trying for the next gear.

xleeb0y13x

How high on the revs where you when shifting??

I found a repeatable issue w/ shifting at 10k +... have to really slam the gear into place in the high revs.
About 7 or 8k. Only done a few full power runs. Normal shifts for me are at 5 to 6k and 7 to 9k when I need to move it.

xleeb0y13x

Not quite getting into the next gear may happen if you don't let the shift lever fully return to its at-rest position before trying for the next gear.
Thought about that one. What gets me is that when it happened and I released the throttle the revs naturally went back down and when I got back into it it was as if nothing happened. Could have been a slip and releasing the throttle let it back into gear.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Bruno

It has happened to me a couple times, always when I'm riding really hard, I'm not sure in what gear it happens, maybe 5th to 4th, but it drops one gear back just after I upshift on hard acceleration...