Has this ever happened to you?

Toothlessdr4gon

Ok, so I'm a relatively new rider (just got 2011 Fz6r brand new, first bike, last November) so in a little under a year of riding and I've kept the shiny side up in the 8k miles I've put on it thus far http://www.600cc.org/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif; but here's the single most random/annoying thing that's ever happened to me:

I'm on a two hour tour home from visiting some old college buddies, happily cruising along around 75mph on probably the least exiting freeway in existence (I-5), when a catch a glimpse of something small zip over my windshield, pass under the chin of my helmet, and hit me square at the base of my throat (which was about the only square inch of skin not covered by leather) and proceeds to fall INTO MY JACKET... I'm thinking to my self "gosh... I sure hope whatever that was didn't have a stinger..."

...I wasn't so lucky...

Within ten minutes, the little baster came to, probably thought to itself "Let's do this!" :sinister: and proceeds to STING ME IN MY FREAKIN SIDE while I'm cheerfully cruising down the freeway at 75mph mind you.

After the initial *ZING* I'm left a bit dumbfounded thinking "Did that seriously just happen????" and seconds later it settles and I'm left thinking "THAT SERIOUSLY JUST HAPPPENED :eek:

Anyways, I didn't panic, just promptly crushed the little bastard in my jacket, pulled off at the next exit, and stopped to shake "the Little Honey Bee That Could"s corpse out of my jacket and scrape his ass out of my side (which had separated from the rest of him), did one of these :facepalm: and continued on my merry way in utter disbelief at the unlikelyhood of what had just taken place.

So ask you forum... Has anything like this ever happened to you?

BoneJj

Not me but my friend was riding his new R1 (several months back) and he was just going around the neighborhood so he only had one shorts and a t-shirt and some sunglasses. As he was coming around the corner he got hit by a bee, right in the face. It fell onto his shirt and then he shook it off and continued on... Not even a minute later it woke up and stung him right on the inside of his leg, only inches from more sensitive areas.

He quickly came back to the house and sat down. Within a few more minutes he had a large welt on his leg where it had stung him. He tried to get the stinger out but he was only able to get a small portion of it out. It took a couple days to get back to normal but then a few days later it started to turn red. The left over stinger started a bit of an infection and it took almost 2 weeks after that for the redness to go away. He had a large red area about the size of a baseball on the inside of his leg for those 2 weeks.

Moral of the story is, crap happens...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Ive found more spiders crawling on me while riding than anything else. Never bitten or stung yet though. Taken some bomber bugs to the face though. One bug and it damn near covers the whole shield while breaking your neck back haha. Loud as hell too, scares the crap out of you. Sometimes I can see them coming but cannot move in time.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

I had a field grasshopper hit me in the throat the other day going about 50mph. Fricking hurt, had a welt on my throat for a while. Grasshoppers around here are huge, you can feel the thud when they hit your car windshield. No bees/wasps yet luckily.

Chucker

You're lucky it was a bee. I had the same thing happen with a yellow jacket, but I was young and stupid, wearing a t-shirt with no gear. It went down the front and stung me 4 times as the wind blew it around in there. I almost cried.

Also happened once when an A-hole tossed a cigarette butt out of the car in front of me and it blew around inside my t-shirt with the heater glowing red hot. I still have a couple of spots from that.

The stupidest part was me continuing to ride in a t-shirt after those 2 incidences. Glad I grew up.

6R Blackout

Took a dragon fly to the face at 40mph. Had my visor up. I did suck up a bee into my air filter, found his little but when I cleaned the filter the other day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

See red

I have sucked in jst abot every bug you can think of that flies.... and even a bird. Just got back from a little 3100 mile tour with the wife, and even she got the oppertunity to eat a few.

It happens, squish first...... pull over andremove quickly, You will get used to it lol!

6R Blackout

A bird you have to tell us about that!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

l1tech

I had a big ass dragonfly tag me square in the face shield the other day at 70mph on hwy 97. Scared the crap out of me, damn it was a loud thud.

JonKerr

Elite Member

FastFreddy

Someone else on the forum got bitten by a bee recently on the bike.
I've been bitten, but not while riding. It feels like a little rattle gun when they put the stinger in, brrr brr brr brr

6R Blackout

I am still waiting to hear about the bird???????????????????:surrender:

BoneJj

I am still waiting to hear about the bird???????????????????:surrender:
I've hit a few with my cars.... lol

I hit one a few months back with my WRX and man there was nothing but this huge pouf of feathers behind my car. It was the weirdest thing, the 5 birds in front of it made it high enough and across the road but the one just couldn't get up high enough and hit the upper part of my windshield right in front of my face. I saw it coming and was more worried about the windshield cracking than the bird, it was just a dove.

Chucker

I've hit 2 small birds, one with my foot and one glanced off my helmet. They were like sparrows or something so not much of an effect. I hit a dove once with my right shoulder/upper chest while riding a dirt bike up a side road at about 50mph. That just about ripped my hand off the handlebar. I ended up with about a 10" x 10" bruise that was sore for about a week.

RooKie

Speaking of birds, I had one fly into the side of me while riding between 75-85mph on the i10 from Tucson to Phoenix. There was hardly any other vehicles on the road and somehow the bird managed to get a face-full of my knee. I remember seeing the bird speeding perpendicularly towards me and thinking "oh no... he's not that stupi... sh*t... he IS that stupid!" As soon as it happened I looked back and at my rear view but couldn't see any trace of the bird. Oh well.

SomeGuyFromCali

Chalk one more up for a yellow jacket attack while riding. My first attack was on a little road in heavy traffic but I have also hit some major bugs out on I-5, dragon flies are definitely the heaviest hitters around here. They knock your helmet back a little.

I was actually cruising on my little WR250R and watched the little sucker hit the bill of my dirt helmet, bounce off my goggles, and then drop down into my jacket which was about 3/4 zipped.

The problem for me was that I was in heavy traffic on a narrow road and didn't want to just stop traffic so I could get him out of jacket and then BAM the first bite/sting came somewhere down near my man boob followed by one of two more near my armpit. :eek:

When I finally came out of the narrow section into a small neighborhood I pulled over in what appeared to be a doctors office of something and tore off my jacket quickly followed by my shirt all the while dancing around waving my arms in the air like a lunatic trying to get the little b*%@# off of me.

When it was all over and I was fairly certain there was no wasp on me still I looked up only to realize I was parked in front of a day care center and there were roughly 10-12 kids and 2-3 teachers standing there looking at me like I was nuts. I threw my clothes back on and rode home with my pride a little hurt (and my man boob).

Last edited: