Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changer

Y

yellowfz

So had some problems with front tire and needed to change it out, last time I did the old fashion method of bars and plastic rim protectors. Not this time, no sir, not going to do that again. So I did some reading about tire changers, the one made from a car rim was cool and easy to make, also saw the zip tie method, almost decided to build the car rim one, but did some more reading about the HF tire changer, seems HF dropped it from their site for a while no longer selling them, I just happened to do a search and found that HF started selling them again. Score.
So here is my interpretation on how to make the HF tire changer with motorcycle tire accessory go from okay to awesome (YMMV).
So now for some pictures right?

Picture 1) In the first picture see how I used a 1"piece of clear rubber hose as a rim protector to keep from scuffing rim and to grab onto the rim too (fit right over the ears). Also used a 1"x2" gray plastic cap used to seal off tubing ends on 1"x2" tubing (furniture, desk) this also aides in a no-scuff surface for the rim to rest on, fit right in the HF original tubing, I did have to grind a bevel in them after the ear hook mod (see 3).

Picture 2) Added rubber mat to the crossmember where the bead breaker is used, also covered the floor mounting bolt with a rubber cap so no marring can occur from it and a bail (not pictured) to hold the bead breaker tool up so it doesn't drop and hit the rim and keeps it out of the way when inserting tire into bead breaking area.

Picture 3) I also noticed that the 3 clamping points even with the rubber can be overcome and the rim slip in them (no worries no scratching occurred thanks to the rubber), so I devised a drop in pin to hold against one of the spokes to stop that, again covered in clear rubber tubing and a rubber cap to keep things no-scuff. Maybe it is noticeable from picture, but I used a old dirt bike rim and heated the ears, where the rubber tubing is, and bent the ears to act as a hook over the rim this was something I noticed during a tire removal that the rim would slip up on the ears which were just straight up, but not now the hook prevents that.

Picture 4) I added this pin that goes all the way through the motorcycle tire accessory part because the HF method of a screw in knob was disastrous to say the least. I pushed on the motorcycle tire accessory once to test it and it caused the threaded knob to distort enough to make it almost impossible to remove, I could just imagine if I had tweaked on a tire, would never have came out and I want to be able to use it as a car tire remover when needed.

Not Pictured 5) Last but not least, I added a pin on the side of the lower section to store the car/truck tire clamping tool. (not pictured)

My HF tire changing stand MODs. YMMV

I also made a no-scuff/no mar tool to use and it works fantastic, no more hideous bars and plastic rim protectors struggles, it is now a pleasure to take a tire off and put one back on again.

Forgot to add, HF had a sale on these and a coupon for 15% off, $74 bucks tax and all OTD.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: