handlebars tweak

W

whatever

my handlebars seemed to be pulled to right when driving straight.... the dealer was told this when i picked up the bike...he had to service guys come out and eye ball the bike and said everything was ok... left told the salemen i will keep my eye on it and let him know.

well it still seems to be off enough to bother me...... just got back from another ride.... stopped couple times and did the old motorcoss legs between the wheel and pull on the bars little.

not sure that will work unless i loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and try
to pull back little.... does that sound about right and will this fix such a problem.

the dealer is 65 miles away... and there is another dealer about 20 miles away...or i
could try to fix it myself.

what would you do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogride

Check the rear wheel alignment. It doesn't have to be off much to make the bike crab sideways and the bars will turn to keep you going straight.

W

whatever

what's the best way check... i know the lines on the swingarm are good.... i do have a motion pro staight edge that goes on the rear sprocket.

does anybody have web address to get a shop manual yet.

if im not able to fix it myself which dealer would you bring it to ?

tried couple outlets today they said not available yet.

husker525

Try a couple of simple things first. Make sure your riser clamps are both straight. If they are both slightly pointing off center, it could have the same effect. Check the rear wheel alignment as suggested.

In order for the front end to be off, the forks or triple trees would have to be bent, which would mean a trip to the dealer, if you got it that way. Unlikely circumstance though.

It is also possible that the bars are slightly bent, which is highly possible. Our bars are made of crappy steel. (cannot wait until more aftermarket bars come out). I have been through 3 sets, (2 bent in trailer castrophies) and 1 from vandalism. You can bend them with your hands, by the way.

bmw675

mines the same way. i can actually see the the key, and the bracket around it, pointing a little to the right (not much, but noticeable). ive measured from the axle to the swingarm pivot and they are the same on both sides. but i guess it wouldn't take much to notice a 'crab walk' scenario.

W

whatever

ok where are key goes in the ing.... you will see it's 75% round and on the top their is a flat spot at the top....just above you will see a point on the plastic under the gauges... the flat spot is off to the right when riding also.

also it's seems like the rightside triple tree is a little closer to the right side of the tank then the left was is when im driving straight.

colud not the forks of been not line up in the triple tree alittle and then the pinch bolts were tighten .... i think that can happen no.

W

whatever

what point of the swingarm pivot to you use for reference.... being that the nut might be different on the other side....thats a great way to check i will try tomorow when it's light out.

bmw are you saying that the flat spot above the key is off to the right alittle on your bike also ?

bmw675

what point of the swingarm pivot to you use for reference.... being that the nut might be different on the other side....thats a great way to check i will try tomorow when it's light out.

bmw are you saying that the flat spot above the key is off to the right alittle on your bike also ?
i believe the swingarm pivot is a bolt head on the right side and a nut on the left. and i measured to the axle. if i remember right, mines around
23 1/2"-24".

yep the flat spot obove the key, and also on the nearside, i can see it isn't parallel to the tank. not saying mine is right, but it sounds very similar to what you are experiencing.

W

whatever

how did you tell is light out here you are...how does line up when you moving.

flatspot

W

whatever

i need 3 qts yamalube.... for my 500/600 mile service..........i may just go to the other dealer and geta second opinion.

hey bmw to you think it's a problem.... or not enough to concern you ?

bmw675

i need 3 qts yamalube.... for my 500/600 mile service..........i may just go to the other dealer and geta second opinion.

hey bmw to you think it's a problem.... or not enough to concern you ?
honestly, i've been keeping an eye on my front tire to see if its wearing more, havent noticed anything unusual yet. it all depends on how bad it is, mine im not getting too worried about, except when im just crusin around and keep looking at it.

W

whatever

i have about 180 miles or so...... so i
need more for break in miles anyway... i will go bug that dealer thats always fun... pick up the oil i need....

and maybe ride out to the other dealer if they can't fix it.

once my stand come friday i will be able to chck more suff... hard with the bike leaning on the kickstand.... already nailed 3 / 1x3 / togeather to put undr kickstand to check oil level.

let you know tomorow night how i make out. told the dealer when i left 3 days ago maye they will look if over better.

this time

W

whatever

theres high perfomance shop near me.... they build v-max and sent them all over the country.... they also build frames if the 2 dealers act like it's not a issue.... check with the frame builder he will know what the deals is for sure.

Y

yellowfz

Use to when I would C&B (crash and burn) while Motocross racing , the bars would be off a little , would go over to nearest tree and bap the wheel against the tree and straighten it right up .
That being said , it's probably just a slight aliment problem , holding the front wheel and tweaking the triple clamp is all that is needed .

W

whatever

I decided i was going to drive back to the dealer where the bike was purchase......about 65 miles away.

on the way there the front end was getting better by aleast 80%.... so maybe one of the fork springs settle or the internals of the forks broke in alttle ... who knows but the front end is line up pretty good so not a issue anymore..

looks like i might luck out... will keep my eye on it .

W

whatever

oh and on the way home i jumped on the interstate for 2 exits ( 15 miles )

just about every car passed me, boy did i
want to open this bad boy up... but i been trying to keep the rpm under 6 grand.... about 221 miles and counting.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

W

whatever

This bike just keeps getting better and better.... can't believe how nice of a bike it is. Guess been awhile since i owned a in-line 4... but i don't think they are all as smooth as this bike.

have some parts coming tomorow..

pro grip carbon fiber tank pad
k & n filter
L pads for my stand
pj1 blue chain lube / stuff great /

from 5 to 6 grand bike seems pretty fast... been riding the 250 as you all know.

2 mountain runs in 2 days im surprize how nice it handles... must be what they flearned from the r6/r1 race bikes.

miles are over 300 and something so once i drop the oil start to opening the bike up a little more.

the faring and the windshield are find i see no issue... so relly no need to go aftermarket for now.

oh i ordered a factory manual today from the printer that yamaha deals with $93 dollars plus shipping.