Guy riding with me being stupid and spills.

dsanchez222

Let me start by saying I've yet to take the MSF course but have my application in to take the advanced course in November. Even though I don't have any training yet I still try to apply all of the things I learn through everyone on the forum. While I'm riding I always ride with the attitude of being able to ride again the next day. So here's what happened:

On my way home from work I bumped into a guy that lives around me who also has a bike. We decided to go for a ride. This is now the third time I've gone riding with him since I've had my bike for 2 weeks. He was riding a Honda Nighthawk 750, me on my FZ6R. Let's just say the way he rides is very sketchy. He is very aggressive while riding. He will pass people on the shoulder and other stupid stuff like that.

One of the things I learned from everyone here is to always ride the pace you fell you can safely handle. This is something he didn't do on the road we were running. I've traveled the road about 20 times or so now and am fairly familiar with it. It was his first time on it. I took the first turn at my normal speed. Approx 45mph. He did the same. Next turn is a short uturn. I started on the outside and started to cut to the inside line and he comes racing through the inside, in the other lane, passing me on a curve he doesn't know. I just let him keep going. He slowed down and let me take the lead again. He took a wrong turn and tried to catch up to me. I had just gone through the last turn, a sharp 90 degree turn at 35mph. When I looked in my mirror after exiting the turn all I saw was him going from left to right off the road and into a barbed wire fence. Did I mention he only had a helmet, jeans and a t-shirt? He was being stupid and payed the penalty for it.

Moral of the story is I now have even more reinforcement to drive safe so that I'll live to drive another day.

Spunky99

What?...You didn't stop and take pics with your cell phone?

LOLOLOL

travisH3

I like to ride alone just because of this. I can go at my own pace and not have to worry. When I ride with friends I ride so defensive that I try to be defensive for the others too and end up not paying 100% about what I'm doing and watch out for everyone in the group.

BKP

Perhaps it's endemic to FZ6R riders (maybe for the same reasons we buy this particular bike), but, the other FZ6R owners that I ride with, here in Georgia, ride within their comfort zone / skill sets (including some of the more aggressive roads we've done), practice ATGATT, and are generally very responsible bikers...

Typical story of the few giving the entire community a bad rep...

Detrich

I have a co-worker who supposedly rides like that too and that's why my other co-workers stopped riding with him. lol. Safety trumps all always.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

dsanchez222

Which is why I usually don't ride with the bikers in my area - idiots. Popping wheelies 80+ on the highway and shit. I enjoy riding and living. I'd rather get some backroads and enjoy myself.

I'm the same exact way. I enjoy riding with other people but I find that alot of bikers are just plain stupid in how they ride.

Quick question also. What does ATGATT stand for? Like I said I haven't taken the MSF course yet but I do have my app in.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member