Gravel roads

Accident

So yea i just got my bike last night and i felt like driving to a winery i havent seen tonight
didnt realize that it was located about 2 miles down a gravel road lol

Just got this bike like i said and havent rode anything but a dirtbike
so this was surprisingly easy yet pretty damn rough on the arms lol

Mostly tho this is just a shameless plug to show a picture of my bike

F

FZ6Rgurl

Yeah, I rode a dirtbike for the first time last night, and I do believe I like to stay on pavement. The back end of the 6R likes to slip out on me when I take it down a dirt road. Dirt is too squirrelly for me. It makes me feel like I don't have full control of the bike.

nashvillenobody

So yea i just got my bike last night and i felt like driving to a winery i havent seen tonight
didnt realize that it was located about 2 miles down a gravel road lol

Just got this bike like i said and havent rode anything but a dirtbike
so this was surprisingly easy yet pretty damn rough on the arms lol

Mostly tho this is just a shameless plug to show a picture of my bike

shameless plug or not, that sure is a gorgeous bike you have there!!!

scoobienorth

Yeah, I rode a dirtbike for the first time last night, and I do believe I like to stay on pavement. The back end of the 6R likes to slip out on me when I take it down a dirt road. Dirt is too squirrelly for me. It makes me feel like I don't have full control of the bike.
the catch on gravel is gentle on the brakes and throttle, like dont use them gentle, you have to let the bike wiggle on the gravel, loosen up a bit, that is normal and yes hard to get used to, i really try to avoid gravel on my bike but it does happen up here as i have lots of gravel roads and long driveways and such.

zig308

I think it's a rule that all wineries have long gravel roads. They all do around here. How about a picture of the winery?

bmw675

also, for me atleast, using front break on loose rock is just asking for a disaster. thats in addition to what everyone else has said already.

nashvillenobody

care to show me a picture of yours with the yellow rim tape things?
Also keep in mind this is taken with a camera phone that still has the stock blue film over the lense lol
Here ya go!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

nashvillenobody

I like that, a lot actually. Where'd you get those from if you don't mind?
Don't mind at all... here is the guys contact info. He charged me $15 including shipping and I just sent him the money via paypal. They can be done with or without the FZ6R logo and in any color... enjoy

Zack Dunstan
Email:
[email protected]

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

nashvillenobody

Very cool, I've seen that name around here before. What size are yours? 10mm? They look bigger than most of the others I've seen?
I am not sure. I told him what bike I had, what I was looking for, and he made them for me. When you put them on, I recommend a bottle of windex and ample time. I cleaned the rims, then squirted the rims with windex AND the sticky side of the stripes with windex. This allowed me to lay them on the rims and move them around to get them just perfect, then used my finger like a squeege and pressed any extra windex out from under them. I then let them dry for several hours in the sun before driving on them.

Enthusiast

the catch on gravel is gentle on the brakes and throttle, like dont use them gentle, you have to let the bike wiggle on the gravel, loosen up a bit, that is normal and yes hard to get used to, i really try to avoid gravel on my bike but it does happen up here as i have lots of gravel roads and long driveways and such.
Does anyone else have any tips for riding on gravel? I've got a couple of miles of gravel road at the lake and I certainly don't feel confident when I'm on it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ksanbon

Does anyone else have any tips for riding on gravel? I've got a couple of miles of gravel road at the lake and I certainly don't feel confident when I'm on it.
In addition to what's already been stated, here's a few things that have helped me.
1. ride at a comfortable speed
2. relax your muscles, you don't want to be tense
3. focus on balance
3. don't make sudden movements using brakes, throttle, or change of direction if the bike starts slipping, ease your way into regaining control.

As you get more comfortable, the challenge of riding on gravel should become more enjoyable. If nothing else, it shopuld improve your road skills.

Try to have fun with it.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member