Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

gearhead

What kind of GPS unit did you purchase? I'm interested in picking one up, but I have no idea what I should be looking for. Anyone have suggestions for features that should be on a GPS?

2w05thletes

What kind of GPS unit did you purchase? I'm interested in picking one up, but I have no idea what I should be looking for. Anyone have suggestions for features that should be on a GPS?
One that has US maps and can tell you were to go! :p

Seriously though I have a Magellan, love it, works well, big screen.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
F

FZ6Rgurl

The one that I got does screw down. It only has one screw to twist though. Don't know if yours has two. I guess its a clamp down as well, but I had to twist the knob to tighten it down. :) I just wish I had a cigarette lighter to plug my phone into it. Went on a trip and my phone died halfway through and I was relying on it for my navigation and to call my brother. It sucks being lost in a city and not having your phone. By the looks of it your mount and mine are extremely similar. The ball joint is the same, the way it tightens is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

gearhead

I got the Garmin Nuvi 255 w/ lifetime map updates (these can get expensive)

Amazon.com: Garmin nuvi 255 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map Updates: Electronics

I wanted the smaller screen fr other reasons, but with this new case, a 4.3" screen would be nice.

One thing I didn't know that this GPS had and I think is great, is avoid unpaved roads... kinda nice if you don't want to end up on a gravel or dirt road.

As to GPS makes/models, you can find benefits to all, when I did my research a couple years back, garmin had the best map/routing system. They buy their maps from a place that does real time traffic flow for determining the fastest route... that only works in well traveled roads, but I've never had an issue with the routing.
Costco has a pretty good deal on the Garmin 255W ($110). I cannot tell from the website if you can enter coordinates (latitude & langitude). Is it possible with this unit?

PaulinItaly

I bought a Garmin Zumo 660 which is a motorcycle GPS (waterproof, glove friendly, motorcycle hookups) from MemoryC.com - computer memory laptop memory and flash memory supplier - I am very happy with it so far, wiring was easy, sound quality is good. Garmin is (still?) running a $100 rebate I think (possibly until the end of the month?) on the Zumo's - if you are going through memoryc, which I recommend, do a google search for memoryc coupons as there is a 5% coupon floating around somewhere.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

longtube55

usb cable

Could try wrapping it around the center of the bars between the risers, obviously leaving enough slack for steering, and using a reusable zip-tie or something along those lines.

Just trying to be helpful and throw out ideas.:confused:

ME_with_a_B

I bought a Garmin nüvi 255W today... before discovering this thread. Heh - what a coinkidink! :p

I'm trying to figure out which Ram mount to purchase to attach it to my bike - but Ram doesn't have the FZ6R as a bike-choice in their menus. Can I use the FZ6 in it's place? Their website is recommending this mount - and says "Included in this package is hardware that accommodates rails from 0.50" to 1.25" in diameter. Will that work?

U Bolt Mount - Part Details

Holder - Part Details

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ME_with_a_B

^^^ I have a magnetic tank bag (with clear map-pouch) I can throw the GPS into in a jiffy if I were to get caught out in the rain with it... I'm just trying to make sure I'm not ordering the wrong size mount for our handlebar...

And before anyone asks... why don't I just use the tank bag to hold the GPS?? -- I don't want to look down to read the map, I'd rather it be angled more the way the speedo & tach are. :p

Heineken

Elite Member