Got It Right, But Still Lacking

buzzbomb

Elite Member

cezell09

That sounds amazing! I have yet to achieve that one with the machine feeling. I'm no where near that at the moment. I hope to achieve that soon though. It all takes practice.

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to weight the outside peg. It just doesn't feel at all natural to me. It is a bit of a stretch and hanging off the inside already has most of my weight on the inside peg. I think it's time to watch Twist II again...

RoadTrip

Yeah, Keith Code discussed what you were experiencing in his article in the last Motorcyclist Magazine. It concerned stability of rider and bike, and the importance of staying relaxed and comfortable; the rider-bike combination is most stable when the rider finds a comfortable position through the turn, the rider is not tense or in an awkward position on the bike. Loose on the bars and relaxed throughout the body, then the bike has a better chance of running smoothly and finding it's ideal position, all of this equals better mid-corner stability. I been going back to a focus on relaxation since reading the article, sometimes we forget and return to a muscle-the-bike technique.

Oh yeah, and avoid watching Mullholland videos, you gonna take that shit with you next ride - found a neighborhood under construction yesterday with a perfect tight 180 kinda like Mullholland, can you say MotoGP fantasy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnkDd0cepg]Mulholland @ 300fps - Red Epic Super Slowmo - YouTube[/ame]

JonKerr

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

You want to stay wide most of the time on the road, and cut in for the apex only for the tightest part of the corner. Early braking and a late apex line basically.

You can drag the rear brake slightly (very slight pressure) if you are a little bit hot in the corner without changing position or bar pressure. You have to get used to how it feels to drag the rear brake in a straight line. It can help along with always saving a bit in reserve by not riding at 100%, especially if you don't have 3-5 sec visibility on some corners, there could be cyclists, wet patches, loose dirt etc.

I've thought about peg loading, but I've found that keeping each foot evenly loaded throughout works best, it allows the bike to dance underneath you that way.

Trail braking on the front brakes can work too. Just barely touching them for a moment while going in fast on corner entry to get to the ideal entry speed if you've gone in too hot.

The ideal corner, you brake early, go in too hot by carrying 5-10 km/h too much speed, scrub off that last little bit of speed as you turn in, by the action of turning in. It's hard to convey how fast you have to be turning in, everything else is easy, braking hard and accelerating hard is easy, its what you do in between that which counts the most. Get on the power gently before the apex. In any case, on the road you are always best braking early and turning in conservatively, you can add speed after you've settled for the turn, a "slow in, fast out" "late apex" line is best on the road because you can take it easy on turn in that way. The fastest way to corner is to get to that slowest part of the turn the quickest as well.

Last edited:

FastFreddy

Here's my tips. Between braking hard and accelerating hard is crucial to make the most difference between riders times. Same goes for car driving.

There's 3 throttle opening phases worked out. (apart from being fully off the throttle during the straight line braking phase).
Letting off the brakes is also important. I'll mention this first.

Just as you start to get off the brakes, you want to catch the front ride height and keep that smooth, so while the forks are compressed from the braking, you let them come up slowly by increasing the turning force and G force from the turn which act to compress the forks.. You probably do this without thinking about it anyway. So come off the brakes and open the throttle and turn in all at the same time progressively.

1. The initial throttle balance going into the turn. This is where you are balancing the engine braking and driving forces so the bike feels balanced front to rear turning in to the corner. The throttle is slightly open during this part, but not driving forward yet, just balanced front to rear as you aim for the apex. (like you are freewheeling on a bicycle with no engine). I find myself leaning forward and in during this phase to get more front tyre feel.

2. The initial forward drive. Just before the apex, you start to open the throttle slightly more to begin the roll on. You add power gently and early here. Your lower body doesn't move, the torso and head can lean in and forward.

3. Once you feel good that you are going to clear the corner you then get more aggressive with the throttle action, you can feel your rear tyre hurting here, don't cook them too hot and then

... finally, smile and pin it full throttle coming out of the turn.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

I like the 'pace' method for street riding corner entry speeds, I primarily engine brake into corners and don't pursue aggressive entry speeds, I did that for awhile and almost blew a couple of corners. So now, I do a slightly backed off entry speed with the engine braking as a kind of trail technique, then throttle thru the corner with a hard accelerating finish.

Anyways, the primary goal is to get the thrills as safely as possible, so you tend to back off a bit on the street and focus on the small details for enjoyment. The comfort part is not just about stability, but also keeping SR's in check, the bike can slip and shake a bit and everything is actually fine, it's just the bike looking for stability, you stay cool and it's all good.

BKP

Good advice re: stomp grips. Weighting the outside peg seems to elude me as well... I "think" I have the line down, my arms aren't fighting one another (outside arm is completely relaxed -- thanks Lee Parks), but, that outside peg...

redprodigy35

You know how it is, when you get it right: The bike just settles down and pulls the corner like it's sailing on the wind. It's just so smooth and so stable as you fly around that corner that it feels like you're not even on the ground.
I totally feel you on this.

Sometimes things just click and it's as if the bike and you are on the same wavelength.

Reading Keith Code has helped my form substantially.
I now concentrate on a couple aspects when rippin up some corners...

1.)Going into the corner, I speed check -- and start setting up.
2.)I "anchor" myself to the bike anticipating the line I have chosen. I don't hang too aggressively -- Code recommends one cheek on the seat.
3.)Turn in.
4.)Let the throttle "pull" me through the corner. Once it's cracked apply smoothly and increasingly throughout corner.
5.)Bike comes to a natural upright position, reseat myself to get ready for the next corner.

Basically, I try to get as much possible done before the actual corner itself. With this approach, I do not find myself mid corner with that sixth sense feeling of uncertainty.:zombie: It allows me to relax in a way due to the fact that I have pretty much taken care of everything I can before the bike is leaned over.

It's interesting as I see other people (Fast Freddy) have mentioned they put more weight on the front end for feel. Recently I have been trying to put more and more weight on the rear wheel especially the first 1/4 of corners before the apex.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

Love how he's getting so low. I think the Suzuki rider might have the Pirelli Supercorsa tyres ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnkDd0cepg]Mulholland @ 300fps - Red Epic Super Slowmo - YouTube[/ame][/QUOTE]

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

RoadTrip

To me this is what keeps sport bike riding interesting, sometimes I struggle against myself trying to push too hard, but then I relax and flow and end up actually going faster than when trying too hard. If everything was super easy and always the same experience then it would become boring, that is typically the sign of the end of a hobby for me, fortunately this motorcycle hobby has yet to plateau and I continue to find fresh challenges and stoke. Sounds like you are doing it right to me, but yeah gettin home safe is always the primary goal.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Really need to find a local forum to talk to some guys about finding some good, safe, nearby twisties, I hate how you guys can find a spot with enough good turns to set up for the next one immediately.

Gotta admit, most of my fun turns, arent safe, and if they are fun, the road material is awful usually.

If its both, its only slightly fun, and the posted speed is usually 50, so to make them really fun id have to be going 100+ which is just kind of unnessecary.

OT i know but anyone know of any central texas sport bike groups?