Gentle Reminder, ATGATT (NSFW, sorta.. not bad though)

CrazyCawi

it is your choice. But your choice affects the paramedic who has to scrub the gravel from your skin and listen to your agonizing cries for not doing it. Did he have a choice? Nope it is his job to save you and preserve your life. Did your choice force that upon him? So who is selfish here? Have I riden without a helmet, yes. Did I feel more vulnerable than standing nude in time square? Hell yes. Will I ever do it again? Not a chance.

If you want to so be it. But remember every new rider you encounter they mimic what other riders around them do. When our group rides we are all geared. If your not geared up you dont ride with us. Thats our choice, because we care and look out for one anothers best interests. Yeah that non geared kid might be pissed, but its enough for him to take a look and think: "am I really being smart going on a spirited ride without a helmet, gloves, and jacket?"

Brock Kickass

Paramedics know what they're getting in to. Being a paramedic and complaining about blood and guts is like riding with no gear and complaining about your injuries.

CrazyCawi

Paramedics know what they're getting in to. Being a paramedic and complaining about blood and guts is like riding with no gear and complaining about your injuries.
I didnt say the paramedic is complaining. See thats the tunnel vision I am talking about.

You say views are imposed on you about atgatt. But the choice to not be atgatt imposes that stupidity upon others because they have to help you or they witness the situation when you go down.

Invader Jim

But the choice to not be atgatt imposes that stupidity upon others because they have to help you or they witness the situation when you go down.
I was riding for fun on a Saturday this Spring on some local twisties. I was northbound and fully geared. There were ~12 riders on sportbikes in a tight pack headed southbound and gear was minimal. RPMs were way up and they were loud and fast. I encountered them in a turn that they took too fast. One rider crossed the yellow line into my lane. I moved over and he moved back before collision. Whether he was ATGATT doesn't matter much to me. He was reckless and could have caused a fatal accident. The fact that he had very little gear only made him more of a dumbass. How riders ride is much more important to me than what they wear.

I am glad the group you ride with has strict rules about gear. It sets a good example. I think everyone should wear gear. I especially want those I care about to gear up. But when it comes down to it, I get much more upset about recklessness than gear.

Brock Kickass

Look, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I mean, you seem like a pretty sensible guy, and I like you as much as I like anyone who I have never actually met. We're on the same page here, more or less. We both believe in gear, and we both believe in responsible riding.
The only reason I engaged this topic is because I took offence to the time some random tool told me I wasn't wearing enough gear and called me an idiot. I was wearing gear, but I guess he figured anything short of racing leathers was suicidal. He doesn't know my deal, and has no right to engage that conversation with me. I think people should wear gear, but I don't think it's my place to make them.
In any case, there's no sense driving a wedge between 2 people for such a subtle difference. It's like Catholics and Protestants killing each other. They both believe a different version of the same story. (I bet I take a ton of crap somewhere down the line for that one)
CC, I respectfully disagree that it's up to people to change other people's minds about gear. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's not how I roll. Peace?

furiousgeorge

ATGATT does work. I wear most/all GATT. Riding is about risk management. If you want to be safest on the road, don't ride a motorcycle. If you want to be safer still, fly whenever you can because statistically flying is less hazardous than driving.

Saying you are ATGATT is open to interpretation. Below is a list of protective gear categories I copied from bikebandit.com.
  • Ankle Supports
  • Back Protectors
  • Chest Protectors
  • Ear Plugs
  • Elbow Guard
  • Knee / Shin Guards,
  • Knee Sliders
  • Neck Supports
  • Palm Protectors
  • Shoulder Protection
  • Support Belts
  • Technical Undergrarments
  • Wrist Support

All the gear for me in summer includes; full helmet, summer gloves, mesh jacket, mesh pants, boots and once in a while earplugs. Mesh is not nearly as good as leather. I don't have a chest protector, back protector, neck support, support belt, technical undergarments, wrist support, shin guards, and knee sliders. Looking at what I omit, am I really ATGATT?

It doesn't really matter how I classify myself or how anyone classifies me. I choose to ride and I protect myself in a way that I am comfortable with. If you want to ride and be your safest, always wear full gear and always ride conservatively/defensively. On the opposite end of the spectrum; ride naked and recklessly. We make choices every time we get on a bike.

Exactly the point I made. Heaps of times. Anyone wear high viz EVERYTHING? If no, then you're not atgatt. Its black and white. Atgatt stands for something, its not a rough guide. I'll quote myself "if you bet me you can eat all the chips in a bowl, and you only eat some, who wins the bet? Its not some of the gear all of the time. Its ALL"

CrazyCawi

Exactly the point I made. Heaps of times. Anyone wear high viz EVERYTHING? If no, then you're not atgatt. Its black and white. Atgatt stands for something, its not a rough guide. I'll quote myself "if you bet me you can eat all the chips in a bowl, and you only eat some, who wins the bet? Its not some of the gear all of the time. Its ALL"
But their is always a minimum base and to us that's a layer of gear on. No matter the color. Boots, pants, gloves, jacket, helmet at a minimum. The rest is all relative.

StarZero81

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

CrazyCawi

you know whats funny....I dont see any anti-atgatt videos. only videos of atgatt riders saying how it saved them, and non atgatt riders wishing they had wore it.

CrazyCawi

Id also like to add this discussion:
02Tac:
Quote from: CosmicHD on June 27, 2008, 10:12:56 AM
It is also proven that people have the right to conduct their life the way they want to as long as it does not harm others. Who are you to sit back and tell me riding without a helmet is not the thrill someone may be seeking out. Who are you to say that is not a viable reason for that person?
What sort of ego do you have on you to run around making decisions for others and dictating what they think is viable or not?

Actually, your choice to ride without safety gear does harm me. It harms us all in the wallet. Here is an interesting read - Motorcycle Helmet Laws

Now, back to issue at hand, STUPIDITY. If we follow the anti ATGATT mob (any other word would imply some sense of direction) then we should not be required to wear / use any type of safety gear at any time if we did not want to as that would impinge upon our freedom.

EXAMPLES THAT I FEEL ARE IN LINE WITH THE ANTI ATAGTTers THOUGHT PROCESS
-- I work around aircraft and heavy machinery. I should not have to wear steel toed boots, hearing protection or a hard hat.

-- Paint booth workers ahould not have to wear respirators.

-- Iron workers on tall buildings should not have to use fall protection.

-- Welders should not have to wear darkened / auto darkening face shields.

I am SURE that to most people these examples are just plain silly, but if you believe in the ANTI-ATGATT way of thinking it should make sense.

I am not telling you you must wear a helmet nor do I think that Uncle Sam should pass a law forcing you to. I am just telling you it is a damn stupid choice to make.

You want wind blowing in your hair?. SIT IN FRONT OF A FAN!!!

Let me ask one final question. The road is far far more dangerous that any race track yet you never see a racer zipping around the track without all the gear so WHY would you think you don't need any in a far more hostile environment than the racers occupies?

Kapowee mother trucka!!! lol

CrazyCawi

oh Id also like to add some visuals to this :) this gives BOTH sides of the equation with equal riders. Pure and simple.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dF32JYCJPw]ATGATT VS. SQUID - YouTube[/ame]

buzzbomb

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Bring it on. If you have an argument against wearing protective gear, other than the fact it's just too much effort for you? Heck, I don't know how I'd react because I honestly can't comprehend such an argument. Please, anyone, someone enlighten me.

CrazyCawi

just wanted to show a bit more video evidence of how even the most simple of times shit just happens

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFD9az2eAv0&hd=1]The Effects of My Motorcycle Crash Without Gear - YouTube[/ame]

and btw if you think its a hassle to have or wear it check out my good friend johnny all the gear!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKP8kVMd7x8&hd=1"]The Hassles of Motorcycle Protective Gear - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

danieljardim

I sincerely hope that whole "I ride the speed limit" thing works out in your benefit. You might consider though, that you're not the only person who rides within the speed limit, and those people sometimes have unforeseen things happen to them, that are called accidents.
That's why I said I ride on speed limits, to "TRY" to avoid accidents. I know shit happens but if you riding at 45 mph you have more time to react than riding at 135 mph.

About saving money for the gear.. I do save money, but I'm not gonna let my motorcycle sit in the driveway because I don't have riding pants.

I do agree with the ATGATT, I just don't preach it. ;)