Garage Door opener mod II

calltrex

I wanted the perfect switch. Heres some part numbers and pics of my install today. You need to take your time if u want it perfect. I put the opener under my seat where it wont get wet and no one can steal it. Used liquid tape on the connections to water proof them. Put new batteries in the remote. Shrink tubed the wires..

Got the parts from The Source or Radio Shack.

Attachments

Last edited:

mfischler

Elite Member
Last edited:

calltrex

Nice job!!! I keep my opener on my keychain, but this is definitely food for thought...
I used to have the keychain also. had to fumble a bit with my gloves on to use the keychain one. also if it started to rain then it might screw your keychain remote. also it was marking up the surface there where the remote was bouncing around.

This is 10x better. speed right into the garage and close the door before the cops see where you went! :cool:

xplodnstar

Nicely done!!! I like the use of the Radio Shack button. That definitely makes it easier to find a button that works. It almost looks stock, too.

Thanks for taking pics, they are a great representation of the install.

Yone

I like! Great job! :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Nice work and a great job documenting the process. Thanks!

uscgduncan

It appears that the signal cluster/handle bar pod is the same as the FZ6. So if the other models have a hazard switch, wouldn't I be able to order the factory switch from yamaha and install it. You could use it for whatever, but it might save alot of time trying to modify to get a perfect fit. I had an 04 FZ6that had the hazard switch on it, the only downfall is that it is not a momentary switch, but it would work great for other apps. Just a thought.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that the signal cluster/handle bar pod is the same as the FZ6. So if the other models have a hazard switch, wouldn't I be able to order the factory switch from yamaha and install it. You could use it for whatever, but it might save alot of time trying to modify to get a perfect fit. I had an 04 FZ6that had the hazard switch on it, the only downfall is that it is not a momentary switch, but it would work great for other apps. Just a thought.
Even though it's not a momentary switch, it would still work for the garage door opener. The remotes only transmit once, no matter how long you hold the button. So the fact that the switch would stay in the "ON" position makes no difference, because the remote will only transmit to the garage door opener once per push. It would definitely be worth trying if you wanted to stick with a stock button and keep it sleek and "sleeper-ish."

Verranth

I'll have to check out the dealership and confirm that its the same. If so, I would really like to use that switch for a project I'm working on. I'm going to try to get my bike all LED-ed up with accents and things all over. Of course, i would only turn it on when I'm parked or something...wouldnt want to be running that past state troopers.

arcflash316

Hey Calltrex hows that fender eliminator? Did you paint it or leave it raw aluminum??

arcflash316

Glad it turned out good for you too.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

I cheated.

I ended up putting up one of those keypads that mount just outside the garage door, the type where you put in a PIN#.

Nothing to carry, nothing to mod (OK, I admit, I'm a wee bit lazy :D), and works well when I bring different vehicles home (work cars/trucks)!

engine47

I know this post is a year old, but I was wondering how you ran the wires from the housing on the handlebar to the area under the rear seat? What has to be taken apart to make it easy? Thanks.