FZ6R vs R6

MNDZA

I'm considering getting a new R6 next year after learning more on my current bike, the FZ6R, but I had some questions. I've read that the R6 makes very low power in lower rpms and is not street friendly. When they say that it makes low power, is it comparable to my FZ6R or does the FZ6R make more power at lower rpms? Anyone have any good/bad experiences on the new R6?

P

PAJeep

I rode an '05 R6 a few times and felt that changing gears was very clunky on it. I felt my GSXR600 was much much smoother, but anyway. Power was there from start to go. Probably safe to say the most recent R6 would have slightly more pull as HP numbers seem to increase every 2 years. After riding a FZ6R I think the pull in the lower range is somewhat comparable but you WILL notice the difference. The biggest difference will be when you bat an eye and look down and your doing 120. Thats where the not street friendly comes to play. I would also start working out your back muscles now. Any trip over 30 minutes and your gonna need it.

L

lonesoldier84

R6 with too little power for the street down low? Who have you been talking to? Super Dave Osbourne? Time "the Tool-Man" Taylor?

God damn.

If you are talking about starting from like 800 rpm of course the bike wont go hog wild. Same as the FZ6 they share the same engine. Just rev it a little if you need to. 99% of the time in traffic you really dont need to tho.

L

lonesoldier84

You seem more concerned with motorcycles than with riding. Just ride for a while and see where it gets you.
well said mate. before I got a bike I was obsessed with every bike under the sun and couldnt wait to own ALL of them. Well, after I actually started riding I put on like 1,000 km a week on busier weeks and 500km on slow ones. I am as happy as pie. Down the road when the funds become available I will buy another bike.

But I am in no rush. Far too busy enjoying the day's ride to worry about what bikes i COULD own. When the time comes Ill have two bikes, maybe 3. For now I have one. And she is something special.

Enjoy the FZ6R mate.

Better to develop one truly deep relationship than whore yourself to too many bikes too quickly.

:)

L

LERecords

I'lll admite that for YEARS, i wanted an r6... like 5-6 years i really really wanted one.. then went to the dealer and was talked out of an r6 and into an fz6... the guy siad my back and wrists would thank me for it... I have sinces rode my friends r6 a few times... no way will i ever buy one.. no more than 1 hour and my back was killing and so were my wrists...

now if you want one then get one.. but understand that you wont be doing any long distance riding at all... the few times my friend has come with me for 3-4 hour rides.. after the first hour we stop... then its like every half to 45 mins we have to stop again.. and at the end he wants to murder me for going so long.. but to each their own...

Y

Yatz86

I'm considering getting a new R6 next year after learning more on my current bike, the FZ6R, but I had some questions. I've read that the R6 makes very low power in lower rpms and is not street friendly. When they say that it makes low power, is it comparable to my FZ6R or does the FZ6R make more power at lower rpms? Anyone have any good/bad experiences on the new R6?
The new R6 is definately hot. Even hotter than another friends R1...Well from most of my buddies experience, R6 is the most comfortable around track..

But for streetriding, uhm R6 is much more of a bane...all the horses but little room to play will leave them cursing...

so its up to you to decided what are you getting the R6 for. If its for track, I'll suggest go for it. But if its for daily commuting & riding, i'll suggest you think twice about changing.

L

LERecords

if you were going to upgradee from a fz6r... either a fz6 or and fz1... possibly a street or speed triple... anything then some bike you cant turn at slow speeds and is uncomfy after short rides... do some searching.. there are alot of great bikes that are fast as hell and you can ride them for hours at a clip and not even have to worry about it... save the r6 for a second bike :thumbup:

C

CravenMoorhead

I wonder how many FZ6R riders think of the FZ6 as a likely next bike upgrade?

fz6rwolf

Just like so many of the "kids" I see riding. 1st bike and they get something like an R6 and then the only riding they do is the local hangouts and show off how poerful thier bike is. If that's what ya want to do go for it, if you want to really RIDE then go to it on what you already have for at LEAST a year and get to know more about riding and about bikes, not just how cool 1 is compared to another.

M

mglowe

I wonder how many FZ6R riders think of the FZ6 as a likely next bike upgrade?
Your correct, within reason the FZ6 would not be a likely an upgrade candidate for those that own the FZ6R series. But... in some aspects it is an upgrade none-the-less.

phantomxc

I think ideally I would want an R6 as a track bike / short get togethers etc... and then the FZ1 as the "cruiser", but for now I'm loving my FZ6R :)

Hellgate

When and if you do decide to "upgrade" I suspect you'd choose a larger displacement bike vs. another 600. The R6 is an amazing bike for "just" a 600 but in all honesty it won't be much different from your FZr for most day-to-day riding chores. I'd assume the R6 would actually be more of a chore for commuting and running errands. A larger bike is nicer for longer rides, holds baggage better too, and the broader performance makes it easier to go fast. If you are looking for a track bike or a canyon carver the R6 would be an excellent choice, but you need a place where you can take advantage of the 16,000 rpm redline and a quick shifting toe.

C

CravenMoorhead

Your correct, within reason the FZ6 would not be a likely an upgrade candidate for those that own the FZ6R series. But... in some aspects it is an upgrade none-the-less.
I don't see (for me) any really useful upgrade that could not easily be found aftermarket. An exhaust system would drop over 9 lbs. and add about a third of the HP deficit immediately and still keep/enhance the low to mid-range (reported) advantages.

The two extra front brake calipers, suspension adj. (for me) are non-issues and I really like my full front fairing, lighter clutch feel, seat/handle bar ergonomics, better MPG and color/graphics combo that I'd loose with the non-R.

Yamaha made them different for a rea$on.

MNDZA

After reading all these posts I kinda realized that I'm moving way too fast. I really like my bike and it's my first one ever. No need to think so hard on what to get next when I still haven't mastered my current bike and I still need to learn a LOT more about riding in general.

fz6rwolf

After reading all these posts I kinda realized that I'm moving way too fast. I really like my bike and it's my first one ever. No need to think so hard on what to get next when I still haven't mastered my current bike and I still need to learn a LOT more about riding in general.
Good to hear, enjoy what ya got for awhile. I was out today with the Blue Knights for a ride then took off on my own for few hours. One place I stopped was Vanilla Bean in CT and I had a few folks just come over admiring the bike and asking questions. Felt pretty good, too bad the line for a coffee or soda (or beer for alot of the folks there) was just about out the door, went to a Cumberland Farms to get an iced tea instead.

L

lonesoldier84

well said mate. what's the point in getting a bike with more performance if you cant even use the current bike you have to anywhere close to its potential?

When you wait a while and the move to another bigger/badder bike FEELS right....then when you ride that bigger/badder bike you will feel so much better for it. You will have so much more control and precision and can actually USE the bigger/badder bike.

In the meantime its not like ur riding a trike or a CBR125....its an FZ6 God damn it!! It's only the most amazing and versatile bike on the market!!!

nomen cognomen

When I sat on the R6 at the dealer, the seat was a little too high for me and the riding style was too aggressive for my tastes. Then again, my purposes are strictly commuting and pleasure. Someday, when my experience is greater, I may do track days.

I have no desire for a larger displacement bike. I think I'll be happy with the FZ6R for years to come. And if I do decide on a more aggressive style, I'm sure some clip-ons will come out some day for the bike.

I personally wouldn't set a designated date of one year for when to get another bike. Think about getting another one after you're comfortable and ready.

L

LERecords

hey.. there is nothing wrong with wanting something great, but just make sure your ready for it.. the same advise i got when i first started looking at the r6 and instead got talked into the fz6..

B

bryan217

Wow, I love all the R6 hating going on here. LOL. But honestly, I know where you guys are coming from. I'm thinking about "upgrading" from the R6 to the FZ6 because I realized it's not right for my type of riding. If you're the type of person who loves to go fast, esp. through the twisties, then the R6 is for you. I found out I'm not really that type of guy. I ride it mostly for commuting and some small casual rides on the weekends. I love the looks of the R6 (I'll admit that's why I got it) but day to day functionality is limited. As for aches and pains, you don't have to tell me. But the younger guys on the R6 forums ride all the time with no complaints. They say the newest style are even more drastic, that's why Yamaha still says the older style as the R6S.

If any of you locals would be interested in trying out an R6, I'd be interested in trying out an FZ6. Feel free to PM me.