fz6r vs gsx650f

SurfJunkie

Im sorry, but I've NEVER found wind to be an issue at freeway speeds with the stock FZ6R windscreen. I exceed 80 MPH indicated on a daily basis, and im sitting TALL with my face well above the screen, and im 5'10", and the only time i have any issues is when riding into 20+ mph onshore ocean winds. Even then, buffeting really isn't an issue. Has anyone gave any consideration into 1. different shaped helmets buffet/react differently in the wind 2. Is your helmet properly sized to your noggin.

I noticed my old Shoei RF-1100 with worn cheek pads buffet pretty bad, and produce a bit of a head wobble at speed.

My new ( over a season old now ) Icon Airmada does NOT have that issue what so ever.

swift82

I wasnt getting any buffering. The wind was hitting me in the chest and was making pressure and really pulling me back.. that was on the fz the way i mad it get better was almost lay on the tank. Other than that i liked the bike . You can feel the differance in waight between the two.

pandyman

I'm 6foot 3 and 100kg and i dont find the FX wind annoying, but i did have a completly naked bike prior to this so maybe i'm just used to it :)

a bigger screen would ruin the looks , but probably worth getting if your doing long rides regulalry

Pinarello Rider

I wasnt getting any buffering. The wind was hitting me in the chest and was making pressure and really pulling me back.. that was on the fz the way i mad it get better was almost lay on the tank. Other than that i liked the bike . You can feel the differance in waight between the two.
I've not noticed that on my. I tend to ride upright and at 65mph the wind hits me on the neck and around my helmet. The wind noise is pretty annoying so I wear earplugs and it's fine. I'd wear earplugs anyways - if it's not for the wind noise, it's the road noise. I had big problems with my 883 when I took the windshield off. Now THAT was a punch in the chest at 50mph!

swift82

How tall are you ? Im 6'2"
When i took the fz out for a test i didnt seem to mind the wind untill around 70-75 witch is the speed on the freeway were i live

Last edited:

2wheelie

As for the wind, I'm 5'7 and it works like this: when I ride with the stock shield which I cut down about 2 inches, I don't get any buffeting and it much better than with any shield until I get to 75mph. Then the wind starts pushing me back.
When I have a double bubble screen on, it is not much different than the full stock one. I get wind bellow and around the helmet. When I use my Cee-Beylis touring screen, I still getting the wind around upper helmet, and even moreover it disturbed the passenger (same with double-bobble).
Bottom line, at the secondary roads, they all will do well. At highway speeds they all are windier than say my friend's V-Strom dl650, but I guess street bikes are all set up that way no matter what screen you put on. That said, it isn’t an issue with me. I guess it is more issue for a passenger.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

swift82

Hows is the power with two up and gear ?.
Ive had a kz550 and a zx11. Dont need al the power of the 11 but want moee than the kz550..:D

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

swift82

Thanks for the info. I wasnt looking to go crazy fast with 2up i was just wanding how it does going up hills on the freeway at 70ish do you need to down shift from 6th or does it jave the power to pull 350lbs up the hill with out having to give it hell. My kz550 that i ride right now does ok but its a real dog with two at freeway speed if im going in the mountans. Thats what om hoping not to have. When i get a new bike this spring. All the help is awsome thats very one:D

Nismos14 what windsceen do you use?

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

2wheelie

Thanks for the info. I wasnt looking to go crazy fast with 2up i was just wanding how it does going up hills on the freeway at 70ish do you need to down shift from 6th or does it jave the power to pull 350lbs up the hill with out having to give it hell. My kz550 that i ride right now does ok but its a real dog with two at freeway speed if im going in the mountans. Thats what om hoping not to have. When i get a new bike this spring. All the help is awsome thats very one:D
300+ lb's load still faster than most cars off the traffic light. But you'll feel that the bike needs to work harder. If you don't want to notice any difference between empty and loaded, FZ8 or FZ1 is a better solution.

swift82

The problem is initial pickup and moving with traffic with the weight. The first thing I noticed was that civics and corollas were taking off faster and I had to really get into it to just keep up with them lol. At freeway speeds it does fine in my opinion. I'm currently have a double bubble knock off from Japan or China, it's okay. I haven't found a really good windscreen solution and don't plan to now that I'm selling the bike haha.
What bike are you going to get if your selling your fz6r and why?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

swift82

Either:
GSXR750
Ninja 1000
Ninja Z1000
and outside possibilities are R6, or ZX6R.

I'm ready for some more power, and I'm ready for more power when the two of us are on the bike. Not trying to go crazy, just to have more breathing room. Leaning heavily towards the GSXR 750 right now.
The gsxr 750 is a nice bike. I liked my zx 11 i had but it was to wide for my wife to sit on the back. And it only got like 33_36 mpg but it was fun. Sence i ride everday in the sumer i was looking for better mpg and fun thats hard to do i know... i get 55-59 with my kz right lnow so hopping to get low 50s with a newer 600 .. may jist have to have two bikes what a same lol:D

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

swift82

So now im looking at the fz6r and the new ninja 650 ....I haven't had the time to test the 650. but what does every one thing of the two ?????:confused:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

BigRobb

I've had a good amount of seat time on the 2012 Ninja 650, my best friend owns one. Here are some of the things that stuck out to me. Trying to talk about the Ninja as much as I can.

FZ6R +
I love the planted feeling, smooth engine, sound and feel of the I4 of our bikes.

FZ6R -
It's top heavy, stock tires aren't grippy

Ninja 650 +
At the same weight, it FEELS about 50 pounds lighter, incredibly flickable. Tires and chassis give handling that inspires confidence more than the FZ6R. Motor makes a lot of torque, but feels sloppy.

Ninja 650 -
The engine is like a light switch rolling on and off the throttle with an abrupt BUMP when power cuts in or off. This makes setting up and taking corners VERY uncomfortable. The bike feels cheap. The engine lacks character (it's vague) and every rpm feels the same except when you hit the upper range when it doesn't make as much power as the FZ.

I much prefer my FZ6R, although the light, nimbleness or the Ninja 650 stuck with me. If you owned the Ninja, you would get over most of the negatives with time as most of us got over the weight of the FZ. I just wish the FZ6R chassis felt like the Ninja and we got better tires from the factory.
Pretty much pegged it. Get some Q2s on the fazer and it's night and day :) i like the ninja, with the exception of the powertrain. Its full if vibes, and jerky throttle response.

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk

swift82

So I got some seat time on a 2013 ninja 650 :( man its not what I was thinking it would be like...It seems to have a short power band and it really vibs below 4k even when your just trying to slowly roll on the throttle and on decal... my old 80 kz550 is way smother than that thing...I glad I got to go ride one im sold THE YAMAHA IS THE BEST its super smooth all the way around... The only thing I didn't like from the 6r was the windscreen is small for some one my size 6'2 and the seat sucks, the exhaust is to quit and I don't want to spend 800.00 for a new one. but other than that ALL GOOD:D