FZ6R suspension question!!

Mart Man FZ6R

I was most worried about the 6R being short on horsepower compared to the FZ6 I owned. So far, that hasn't been an issue at all. What you guys have me worried about now is the suspension. Is the 6R's suspension that much worse than the FZ6? I've been looking at the Mods forum and people are really slamming the 6R's suspension. I thought the suspension on the FZ6 was great in the twisties, and haven't had a chance to get the new bike in the hills. Am I in for a real dissapointment here? I never expected the 6R to handle like a true sport bike and didn't expect it of the FZ6 either. Are there just some here that are too critical, or did Yamaha really cut corners here?

If anyones been on both FZ6 and 6R I'd really like to here your comparison.

Thanks

JonKerr

Elite Member

Mart Man FZ6R

It's all relative. If you try to compare the 6R's suspension to that of an R6 or an R1, no it's nowhere near as good as those suspensions. BUT, I've been able to put about 7000 miles of twisties on the bike and gone from a brand new rider to nearly dragging my knee in 9 months on the stock suspension. Yes I plan to upgrade the springs and such in the fork. But it's not so bad that you can't have A LOT of fun in the twisties at considerable speed. Remember, in every comparison between this bike and every other one in it's price range and category, our suspension was FAR better than any of the others. It is made by Soqi, the same company that makes the R6 and R1 stock suspension.
Thanks Jon
That makes me feel better. I wasn't really looking for a comparison the the
R6, R1, but more the FZ6. I know I must ride a lot more calmly than most just based on how many miles guys got from their tires. I had an FZ6 with 7K miles on the tires and still plenty of tread where others wore them out in under 3K. I thought I was pushing mine pretty hard compared to any other bike I owned and was very impressed. I'm hoping to get some twisty road riding in this weekend.

Thanks again.

owldaddy

As technology improves, we get those folks who think anything less then the latest greatest thing is crap. What we have in our forks is an older technology that works pretty good all in all. It isn't as good as a cartridge fork, but it costs a lot lot less. That is the reason we paid a lot less for our machines. Some day the cartridge fork with be obsolete due to some new technology that hasn't been invented yet (unless you consider the telelever, or some other exotic fork) I have been having a gas with the 6R even without the fancy forks. I have been running up to Groveland several times a week, Priest's Grade has got to be one of the best twisting roads close to home, if I had big problems with the forks on the 6R I would be riding my R1150R which has a high tech suspension, and some of the best shocks known to man. I will still upgrade the forks on the 6R however, total control is something we should strive for (gold valve emulators are on backorder). Just because it isn't the latest greatest suspension, doesn't mean it is dangerous or worthless. We ride street machines, on the street. The folks who would downplay our machines are riding bikes with a race suspension on the street. I won't be riding any Hard Tail choppers with springer front ends though...... That technology is to old even for me.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Having owned both an '05 and '08 FZ6, the suspensions were not that great. But, I'm also a big guy at 230 lbs with gear. My wife has the FZ6R and the suspension is worse for me, especially the rear. But, I have to keep in mind that the bike is factory sprung for people no more than 135 lbs so I'm really putting a strain on it if I ride her bike. For her, it is perfect.

What I am saying is, the more you weigh, the worse the performance will be. It is easy to get to acceptable though with the Hyper Pro spring kit and that is cheap (compared to an Ohlins or Penske)... Get the springs and move up to 10w fork oil and you'll get the bike to settle quicker in the corners and stop a great deal of the awful brake dive in the front.

Roaddawg

This being my first bike, I can't really compare it to anything else. But, I have near 15k miles on this bike now and take it up in the twisties all the time. I'm also around 225-ish lbs. I don't get crazy on the twisties, but I definitely push it hard, and the only real complaint I have is the front fork diving when I'm entering downhill curves and the weight shift is on the front. I have to make sure to slow down my pace on these portions of roads. Other than that, I'm fine with the suspension under 'normal' riding conditions. Has anyone just changed out to a heavier fork oil on the stock springs? I heard that could help some, but haven't heard of anyone that has done it.

joloy133

This being my first bike, I can't really compare it to anything else. But, I have near 15k miles on this bike now and take it up in the twisties all the time. I'm also around 225-ish lbs. I don't get crazy on the twisties, but I definitely push it hard, and the only real complaint I have is the front fork diving when I'm entering downhill curves and the weight shift is on the front. I have to make sure to slow down my pace on these portions of roads. Other than that, I'm fine with the suspension under 'normal' riding conditions. Has anyone just changed out to a heavier fork oil on the stock springs? I heard that could help some, but haven't heard of anyone that has done it.
For your viewing entertainment:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brRDwt4Q2kQ&feature=related]YouTube - Suspension Setup on the Track[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mpj_tBjiow]YouTube - Basic Suspension setup[/ame]
Motorcycle Suspension Setup

stuna

get the hyperpro springs and enjoy :D
slide the stock out slide the new and and GOOOO :eek:

Mart Man FZ6R

Having owned both an '05 and '08 FZ6, the suspensions were not that great. But, I'm also a big guy at 230 lbs with gear. My wife has the FZ6R and the suspension is worse for me, especially the rear. But, I have to keep in mind that the bike is factory sprung for people no more than 135 lbs so I'm really putting a strain on it if I ride her bike. For her, it is perfect.

What I am saying is, the more you weigh, the worse the performance will be. It is easy to get to acceptable though with the Hyper Pro spring kit and that is cheap (compared to an Ohlins or Penske)... Get the springs and move up to 10w fork oil and you'll get the bike to settle quicker in the corners and stop a great deal of the awful brake dive in the front.
This is helpful to me. I actually liked the suspension on the FZ6. I could ride faster in the twisties on this bike than any other I've owned. You hit on something that may affect me because I weight 250 lbs in my birthday suit. I will just need to get in some twisties to see how it handles for me and my weight. I may need to bump up the rear preload before do this.

Owldaddy: I still plan on taking you up on the ride. I've had walking pneumonia and just haven't been able to get it going. I was so looking forward to riding last weekend with the warmer weather and I had a 3 day weekend, but didn't even get the bike out because I was just to weak. I'll hit you up by email when I'm feeling better. This weekends weather doesn't look too promising.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
At anything over 150 pounds, you should already have the preload maxxed at the highest setting. ;) But, it still is not enough.

I used to keep the FZ6 at 7 as well. :D

owldaddy

Sorry to hear about your illness Mart Man. That sux. I hope your feeling better soon. As far as the weather goes, well you just never know what is going to happen this year, usually we are dry and warm by now. I got sprinkled on during my ride up to New Melones yesterday. There wasn't a cloud in the sky when I left a few hours earlier. We need the water, so I'm not complaining. Get better, we will do that ride soon enough. We have all summer.

Spunky99

At anything over 150 pounds, you should already have the preload maxxed at the highest setting. ;) But, it still is not enough.

FZinNH.....is this correct?
I am 210 lbs and 6'. According to what I read in your post, I should set the preload to max on my rear shock?

Please confirm

arkkornkid

^^^ I weigh more than you and I have mine at 6 right now.... seems to be good, I'd think you should at least have yours up to 5.

Mart Man FZ6R

Sorry to hear about your illness Mart Man. That sux. I hope your feeling better soon. As far as the weather goes, well you just never know what is going to happen this year, usually we are dry and warm by now. I got sprinkled on during my ride up to New Melones yesterday. There wasn't a cloud in the sky when I left a few hours earlier. We need the water, so I'm not complaining. Get better, we will do that ride soon enough. We have all summer.
Haven't been to New Melones since my dad passed away in '97. What's the water level look like there now? I'm really looking forward to a good ride. I've been without a bike for a little over a year with buying the new house so I've got a lot of riding to make up for.

You must be a lot more agressive than I. I rode with my shock on factory setting and never touched it. I will find out pretty soon here once I get up in the hills.

Last edited:

Spunky99

^^^ I weigh more than you and I have mine at 6 right now.... seems to be good, I'd think you should at least have yours up to 5.
I looked at mine during my lunch break and it was set to #3 as stock.
I moved it to #6.
I'll see what the difference is on the ride home today.

I appreciate the tip:thumbup:

owldaddy

What's the water level look like there now?
The lake is at 53% It has a large "bath tub ring" right now. The Stanislaus is dumping in more water then they are letting out, so maybe it will get a few more feet before the run off stops. I raft and kayak this river, I was selfishly hoping we would have another dry year so I could do the Camp 9 run above the lake, (Camp 9 was one of the best whitewater runs in the state and is flooded usually since they filled New Melones) however we got a lot of rain this year, so I'm all for storage at this point.

arkkornkid

I looked at mine during my lunch break and it was set to #3 as stock.
I moved it to #6.
I'll see what the difference is on the ride home today.

I appreciate the tip:thumbup:
You're welcome.... just to let you know I outweigh you by a significant amount.... I'm tubby :D ...I could feel a considerable difference between 5 and 6, but not sure everyone does.

Luckily it's an easy thing to adjust so try giving it around 50 miles between adjustments to allow things to settle, if it seems off after that then tweak it.

Spunky99

You're welcome.... just to let you know I outweigh you by a significant amount.... I'm tubby :D ...I could feel a considerable difference between 5 and 6, but not sure everyone does.

Luckily it's an easy thing to adjust so try giving it around 50 miles between adjustments to allow things to settle, if it seems off after that then tweak it.
I noticed it took quite a bit more effort to adjust the shock from 5 to 6 vs 3 to 4 and 4 to 5. I'm an old ex motocrosser who was used to the old skool suspension (none). So I guess we will see how this goes. I'm at 565 miles right now and will go past 600 by Saturday and do the whole 600 mile maint. If it seems too stiff, I'll back it off 1 step.

Also another question on Clydesdales on the FZ6R. I upped the pressure in my tires to 34F and 36R. I don't notice any difference with a pound or 2 of extra air in the tire. What do you have your tire pressure set at?

Last edited:

arkkornkid

Also another question on Clydesdales on the FZ6R. I upped the pressure in my tires to 34F and 36R. I don't notice any difference with a pound or 2 of extra air in the tire. What do you have your tire pressure set at?
35 front, 41 rear is what I run..... I think around 38-40 for the rear would work with your weight and you're good for the front maybe even a pound over, IMO.

It's not really gonna be a "feel" thing for street riding, it'll be more for tire wear.

joloy133

You could also start with a bounce check to have another frame of reference. Have a buddy just steady your bike and push hard and release the handlebar to see and feel the front spring. Do the rear spring by bouncing the tail. Hopefully the reaction and feel is similar and balanced. You can also bounce the bike by pushing and releasing at the seat to see if everything goes down and up even. This is in addition to riding of course. In one of the videos the tech recommends running it full stiff and full soft so you get to know the feeling, then starting full stiff and backing down to where it feels right. (For the norcal riders the guy in the "On the Throttle" video is out of San Mateo and is considered an expert.)