Fz6r rear cowl seat

Elmojo

Yeah, that's the Chinese aftermarket one that was floating around for a while. It seems that a few smaller stores (like that one) still have a couple, and are charging way more than it's worth in hopes that anyone who wants one will pay through the nose for it. lol
I found this one last night: http://www.2040-parts.com/genuine-yamaha-fz6r-rear-passenger-seat-cowl-fairing-blue-09-10-2009-2010-i1143584/
It appears super sketchy also, since the photos don't match each other, and the site itself look shady as all getout. :D

Jerzee55

That site says it has been 'sold out' for some time. :) I also found that one, as well as others with the 'genuine Yamaha Part number' which most sites claim is unavailable. There were a couple of sites that actually had images of the top and bottom views, so you can see where the hardware from your rear seat must be removed and mounted to the plastic. Not sure if any are high enough quality to get a accurate dimensional image to produce a 'copy'. :)

MillerJ16

Nah, that's totally different than the FZ6R tail. Speaking of price, if I was able to fabricate something, it would likely end up being at least $100 shipped, including whatever hardware I could include that didn't have to be swapped from the bike. I'm only basing that on the amount of time it would take to measure, model, refine, print, etc... Plus, the actual printing material and time isn't trivial.
I looked into the different diversion of the xj6. And seems like that would be the best one. I may order it and do a trial lol

Elmojo

I looked into the different diversion of the xj6. And seems like that would be the best one. I may order it and do a trial lol
Umm... do you mean the one that's clearly for a totally different bike? Please let us know if you found one that looks like it will fit the FZ6R, but so far we haven't found one that looks likely.

TGriff89

Nah, that's totally different than the FZ6R tail. Speaking of price, if I was able to fabricate something, it would likely end up being at least $100 shipped, including whatever hardware I could include that didn't have to be swapped from the bike. I'm only basing that on the amount of time it would take to measure, model, refine, print, etc... Plus, the actual printing material and time isn't trivial.
If you make something, I'd be willing to pay around $100.

Tim

Elmojo

Yeah, I would love to be able to produce something around $100, but I'm not sure if that's feasible. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is doable at all, since my time is limited, and it's a fairly complex part.

Just_Jim

Xj6f is the European model of the fz6r
The XJ6-F seat is different than the FZ6R seat. XJ6-F seat is a one piece unit while the FZ6R uses a two seat arrangement.

Elmojo

Exactly. That's the same shop I linked to earlier, and it clearly shows that their cowl in no way will fit the 09-17 FZ6R, regardless of what they say.
It looks nothing like our bikes. I'm not sure what bike that is they are showing in the product image, but it sure isn't an XJ6-F.

Just_Jim

Exactly. That's the same shop I linked to earlier, and it clearly shows that their cowl in no way will fit the 09-17 FZ6R, regardless of what they say.
It looks nothing like our bikes. I'm not sure what bike that is they are showing in the product image, but it sure isn't an XJ6-F.
That image you link to isn't an XJ6-F either, no matter what the page says. It's an FZ6R - it says so right on the fairing.

This is an XJ6-F. Note the one-piece seat.1617403635927.png

Elmojo

Well that's interesting, since the page I linked was directly from Yamaha Global. Maybe they don't know their own products? :)
I see the single-piece seat, but that still doesn't really look quite like the one is the photo from the cowl ad page. The grab rail and tail fair profiles are different, and even the seat texture doesn't look the same. Maybe that's for an older model or something? I'm not real familiar with the "Diversion" series of bikes, I just know that the FZ6Rs are pretty much identical from 09-17, and none of them look like the bike in the photo on the cowl page.

IthinkImFast

There seems to be
Doesn't it always?! :)

I took my passenger seat off last night and looked at it, with the idea of modeling it. It's actually a fairly complicated piece. One problem I see with prototyping is that the front hooks are molded into the base pan, so I would have to actually destroy my seat, or make replacement hooks in order to even test out the cowl. I do have a friend with a plasma cutter. Hmm...

I'm in SoCal, if your local lets work together!!!

Otherwise, I have my rear seat here and I'm going to start listing off dimensions or at least how I would go about doing it.

The pillion seat can be sectioned off into 3 areas.

1. The bracketing and plastic frame
2. the foam
3 the cover

Within the bracketing there are 10 significant points of interest
1. the main latch
2. rubber grommets (4 of them)
3. the rear hooks.
4. Plastic fittings (white protrusions) (2 of them)
5. plastic hook on the rear

By removing the foam and cover, then inverting the seat,
it becomes clear that the cowl can be designed with a main frame being that flat plane, then all the necessary pieces pieces built on reference to that flat plane, then flipped over and finished for the final "cowl" part of the cowl.

If your local, I'd love to get this cracked out in a weekend, otherwise I have a donor pillion seat for you here, and $300 bucks for the first cowl!! I've searched everywhere.

Elmojo

I love your enthusiasm! :)
I'm very much not local to you (east coast), and at the moment I'm buried under work, family obligations and other things that are making it difficult devote time to this project.
In addition, I'm not totally certain I even have the skills required to model and fabricate this part. It certainly would take far more than "a weekend", since the 3D printing of prototypes will likely take 4-6hrs for each test, and typically you run 3-5 trials before you ever get to anything approaching a "final" model. If I can get free and have some time to work on this, I promise I'll get back with you. If you'd be willing to send your seat in to act as the testbed and model reference, that would probably speed things up a little.

Just_Jim

I have this manual. And if you look at the bottom left its a xj6 f diverson with 2 sears
I have the same manual. Look on page 0.8 - that's the XJ6-SP. The XJ6-F has fairings. Page 0.10 has a breakdown of the different models.

Justus T

Did you ever find or make a rear seat cowl?
I've been searching for one for my 09 fz6r and haven't had any luck.
There's kawasaki ones, but I don't wanna buy those as they probably won't fit.