Fz6r rear cowl seat

MillerJ16

Does anyone have a rear cowl seat for a fz6r or know where to get one?. Looked online and the dont make them anymore (where i find them)

Jerzee55

You might start by 'copying the seat'? From what I read, you need to use the hardware 'from the set' to mount the things, and they cost over $200 for a piece of molded plastic. It seems enough people are interested that if you work out a good design, people might buy them from you. :) I thought Win 10 has some 3-D photography magic software for free. Don't know if it can combine, photos into a 3 D image, but some CAD software will allow you to scan objects creating a 3 D model. Scan the rear seat, and 'modify it' by 'borrowing images' of the original design, for strengthening members on the inside, as well as locating 'hardware' for mounting to the bike. There are a lot of images on line of this thing, but the dimensions of mounting are already on the rear seat. :) You could add facets, or not to make it look more aerodynamic, or just 'round off the seat. :) Good luck with your project! :))

Elmojo

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I absolutely know the process for digitizing a physical object into a 3D model for printing or manufacturing. What I meant is that it's extremely complicated, and would be far more than my skills would allow. I work in civil engineering and design, and we use 3D modeling tools often. I've even done a couple projects similar to this in the past, and they always turn out far more complicated than expected. :)

person4l

Otherwise I’ve seen people use the seat as a mold and making a cowl out of fiberglass. 3D printing might be a better way of doing it though.

Elmojo

I do like the idea of modeling it and 3D printing a cowl that can be installed on the factory seat pan, or at least using the factory hardware.
Maybe I'll tackle it after all... one of these days... yessir, any time now.. :)

Jerzee55

Yes, but would you BUY one? If a guy is going to take the trouble and time to do a good design, would you pay for it? That might help make the decision... :) If he does a working prototype, he could do a production run, if there were demand, so you would get a finished quality product... Worth thinking about, as I have seen four or five people on the forum looking for one.
BTW, there is a beautiful FZ6R on Ebay, 2017, low mileage for auction for the next couple of days.. :)

Elmojo

That's a good point. If there was actual interest in something that I could sell, then it might be worth the many hours of work that it will take to produce and refine.
Do you have a link for the eBay auction?

Jerzee55

That's a good point. If there was actual interest in something that I could sell, then it might be worth the many hours of work that it will take to produce and refine.
Do you have a link for the eBay auction?

Elmojo

Depends on the price thats all lol
Doesn't it always?! :)

I took my passenger seat off last night and looked at it, with the idea of modeling it. It's actually a fairly complicated piece. One problem I see with prototyping is that the front hooks are molded into the base pan, so I would have to actually destroy my seat, or make replacement hooks in order to even test out the cowl. I do have a friend with a plasma cutter. Hmm...

Elmojo

Nah, that's totally different than the FZ6R tail. Speaking of price, if I was able to fabricate something, it would likely end up being at least $100 shipped, including whatever hardware I could include that didn't have to be swapped from the bike. I'm only basing that on the amount of time it would take to measure, model, refine, print, etc... Plus, the actual printing material and time isn't trivial.

Jerzee55

Just found this on line. Not sure if still available, but this looks like the actual Yamaha Blue part.