FZ6R or Suzuki Gladius?

pyrocpu

Greetings!

I've been a one of those lurkers, trying to take everything in. For a few hours there, I had contemplated a GSX-R600, almost solely due to the price point (local dealer is selling them for ~ $7300). $7300 isn't that different than the price of the FZ6R! After reading a rather lengthy post on why GSX-R bikes aren't good for first bikes, I've started to look at the FZ6R and the Gladius. I went to the dealer today, who coincidentally stocks both these two models.

I'm not quite sure which way to go. Both have quite a bit of pros and cons:

FZ6R Pros
* I love the sound of an inline-4 engine! In my cars, I'm rather rev-happy.
* Seat comfort seems as though it would be better for a several-hour long riding day.
* I won't burn my leg/pants (as easily) with the under-bike exhaust.

FZ6R Cons
* The instrument cluster is so-so, IMHO
* Seems a bit top-heavy, or maybe heavier (than the Gladius) in general.
* Insurance is about $200/yr more than the Gladius
* I like Cadmium Yellow only; it's starting to get difficult to find...
* No-slip on aftermarket exhausts due to the OEM exhaust design...

Gladius Pros
* Saddle is a bit narrower; I can flat-foot at a stop.
* 1.99% financing!
* Seems quite a bit lighter than the FZ6R
* Gauges/instrument cluster has a higher quality appearance
* Gear indicator!
* Better tires than the FZ6R?

Gladius Cons
* No water-temp gauge?
* Saddle seems like it would be OK for an hour-long ride; 3hrs would be a bit challenging
* No windscreen, standard
* Not keen on a V-twin engine sound

Neutral Comments
* Both have distinctly different styling; I love both
* Gladius seems a bit more upright
* I kinda like that the Gladius has the flash-to-pass button. A nice to have; definitely not exactly a deal breaker here... :p
* Both have adjustable brake lever reach adjustment, though I have to use the "5" setting.

A bit about me... 5'9", 140lbs, 29yr/old. would be the first bike. I currently ride a 150cc scooter, which most folks in the States don't count worth a darn for experience! I took the MSF course & passed with the highest grade in the class. Intended for weekend fun, the occasional jaunt to work that's 20min away (I'm thinking I'll keep the scooter for commuter duty), and the once-annual weekend trip with a buddy to the Appalachians. Yes, I forsee myself doing track days; I've been doing that w/ cars for the past 5 years.

Granted, I do realize this IS a FZ6R forum, but post-purchase affirmation biases aside... thoughts?

stuna

motorcycle consumer news .reveiw put me on the yami
Saddle seems like it would be OK for an hour-long ride; 3hrs would be a bit challenging
i did over 300 mi on the fz6r in a day . thats with a bad hip .

pyrocpu

Thanks! In reading all of the reviews on both bikes, they're both right up my alley. Both seem great! I've always had a soft-spot for sport bikes though; I could forsee keeping the FZ6R quite a bit longer. With the Gladius, I think I'd want to ADD another bike in the future, a super-sport. And I want to stop spending money!!

zig308

I'm a new rider as well and looked at both bikes including the Ninja650. But, I'm here for a reason.

JSP

Super Moderator
Go with the FZ6R, especially if you like the inline-4. That was a big selling point for me as I love the smoothness/sound of an inline-4! Its such a beautiful scream. I've got almost 7k miles on mine and not a problem at all. Its a GREAT bike.

And Yellow all the way!!!

miketheripper

color yellow

hello there
I do like the color yellow, reminds me of king kenny roberts
how did you remove the stickers? didi you had the bike repainted or not?
please elaborate

many thanks
michael chang
[email protected]

Go with the FZ6R, especially if you like the inline-4. That was a big selling point for me as I love the smoothness/sound of an inline-4! Its such a beautiful scream. I've got almost 7k miles on mine and not a problem at all. Its a GREAT bike.

And Yellow all the way!!!

nc_fz6r

Hey Pyrocpu,

I myself finished my MSF in the Spring and the Gladius, ER-6n, and 650r were also on my list of first bikes. I'll tell you from experience, that the FZ6r is a great first motorcycle. The transition from the MSF bikes to the FZ6r was seamless. Throttle response is extremely smooth.

I think you are 100% correct that the Gladius will make you feel like your instantly on a 'bridge' bike for bigger and badder things. The FZ6r will take you further and I think you will be satisfied with the size, weight, and power for much longer.

My 2 cents....

pyrocpu

It's interesting you mention the "bridge" bike--I went through that with my scooter. First started out on a Honda Metropolitan 50cc just to bop around town, then got tired of that REAL quick. Sold that, got a 150cc Genuine Buddy Blackjack that'll hit 70mph. It'll do wheelies (though I haven't tried myself), but it's fun in a different way. I'm looking to "do it right the first time" and not having to go through the expense (and checking with The Boss every time I want to change toys, regardless of price) and trouble.

If I do go w/ the FZ6R, I sure hope yellow's still in stock! And I do wish Yamaha had Suzuki's 1.99% deal...

FitZ6R

Thanks! In reading all of the reviews on both bikes, they're both right up my alley. Both seem great!
This MCN article: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugShootout.pdf is a head-to-head evaluation of the FZ6R, Ninja 650R, and Gladius. Yamaha won that comparison hands down, and the Gladius fared particularly poorly in the suspension and handling departments.

Of course, in the end its your bike, and all the magazine articles in the world can't say what's best for you. As far as the specific pro/cons you mentioned, here's how I see them:

Engine: The FZ6R is down a bit in displacement and peak HP compared to the Suz, but the Yamaha powerband is pure sweetness from idle to redline. I also think the inline engine is easier to work on than a V-twin.

Ergonomics: I'm 5'6" and have no problem with the seat height of the FZ6R (are you sure you tried the seat in the low position?). With thick soled boots, I can flat-foot it. If you're going to be riding distances, I think the wind protection and seat comfort of the FZ6R outweigh any minor differences in seat/bar geometry.

Instruments: The FZ6R actually has more complete instrumentation, including fuel level and temp. The lack of a gear indicator is the only conspicuous omission considering the target audience of the FZ6R.

Tires: The FZ6R tires are nothing special, but they're the most frequently replaced / easily upgraded parts of the bike anyway.

Obviously I'm biased, but I have absolutely no regrets about my choice.

fz6rwolf

I came from a lifetime of cruisers and do like the vtwin sound but the inline 4 is one smooth engine. I went for the FZ6r mostly because of the ergos (it just felt right). I've pretty much done nothing to it except take off some decals and get tank and saddlebags and for the 1st season having it am very satisfied. It could use a bigger shield with as much highway as I end up riding but other than that it's really surprisingly a very comfortable bike with as much power as I'll need since most riding is solo but it'll do 2-up duty as well though you will feel the difference.

JonKerr

Elite Member

llervero

The FZ6R is far more confortable than the others(I'm includind ninja 650, SV650, ER-6, Gladius. For me the split seat and ergos made the final call. Others outdated (SV650) are just to old looking for me. I have been riding/racing for over 20 years (First race at 13). Currently I own 2 street bikes ninja 08 250 and FZ6R and I buy bikes for my intended use. First figure out your intended use and go with the one that fit the bill. Remember displacement do not necessarily equal fun. I will smoke any busa on my 250 any day on the mountains.(proven) But then, for me the fun is on the side of the tires. Any monkey can ride on a straight line. buy the bike that fit your needs, not your friends needs.

JSP

Super Moderator
hello there
I do like the color yellow, reminds me of king kenny roberts
how did you remove the stickers? didi you had the bike repainted or not?
please elaborate

many thanks
michael chang
[email protected]
They just peel right off. Grab and pull then use some duct tape to get the residue off. Then wax. No repainting. Only one that requires that is the white ones gas tank. Those are under the clear coat.

pyrocpu

Thanks all, again for the input--keep 'em coming!

FitZ6R--wow, that was a good read. I hadn't seen that review yet. Sure does sway my thought process quite a bit! A lot actually. Hmm.
Flatfooting it wasn't so much of a reach problem as it is me having rather narrow hips. As a result, the insides of my thighs get pinched against the seat when trying to flatfoot. I didn't see any gaps between the seat and the frame/fairings, so I assume the seat was in the low position?
Fuel level gauge--good point. I'm sure I'd get annoyed at the Gladius after awhile w/o a fuel level indicator. Even my 50cc scooter had that. :) Is the FZ6R temp gauge just a "C --- F" jobber, or does it read out the actual temp?

Wolf--good point. I may be doing some touring w/ a buddy in the future... The more comfortable nature would help in this regard.

JonKerr-while the two bikes are way different, I do like both. The Gladius is so unique (Ducati Monsters are very rare around here)! It would seem, especially after the article that FitZ6R sent, that the Yamaha would be the better all-arounder.

llervo--Exactly, other designs look a bit dated to me. There's absolutely nothing wrong w/ the other designs, they just simply don't appeal to me either.
While I see your point about "intended use," it is a rather nebulous concept at this point. There is little rational purpose for it other than fun. Think of it is a big-boy toy; an emotional purpose. Other than weekend riding, I'm not sure if I can further justify a motorcycle!

A few more general questions...
* Clutch: I understand it's a wet-clutch, but is it a slipper clutch?
* Bars: I understand they can be adjusted 20mm back/upwards. Has anyone done this? I have rather T-Rex like arms--a bit on the shorter side, given my height.

JonKerr

Elite Member

AAF

Had a raven Fz6r for about 6 weeks, 1000 miles. Not a novice but not ridden for a few years, I looked at the R6S & GSXR600 as well as a few used bikes. I went with FZ6R for the looks, power delivery & price, I found the riding position (I am 6ft) very comfortable & now even more so with seat in High position & handlebars in low, also I found that having being used to older bikes the FZ6R needs to be ridden, you need to move your weight around to make it turn, however I am sure this would be much more pronounced on a pure sportbike, also whilst it has enough power you would have to do something seriously stupid in the dry to come anywhere near highsiding. Personnaly I will look at upping power a little next season
The only dissapointment I have is that maybe some of the components on the FZ6R are a little low end, like the brake calipers for instance, having said that the price was right, took advantage of Yamaha rebate, got mine for $7049 out the door!
One more thing with the seat in the high position its a little unsightly because you can see through the bike underneath the seat.
Would definetely recommend this bike as a good alternative to a pure supersport

pyrocpu

the price was right, took advantage of Yamaha rebate, got mine for $7049 out the door!
Does the "$1000 customer rebate on select models" (as described from the Yamaha USA website) apply to the FZ6R? If so, that sure would make haggling a lot easier! Plus, I wonder then if I can knock off a few more hundred off of that...

JonKerr--I couldn't tell if the bars were up or not. I'm too much of a noob to see it... :(
No slipper on the wet-clutch: check. If I properly rev-match on the downshifts, then the lack of slipper shouldn't be an issue, correct? Is rev-matching difficult on the FZ6R? I've been doing it for more than a decade in every manual-trans car/truck I've had; it seems natural to me in a vehicle with three pedals. I hope that'll translate well onto a bike...

FitZ6R

Flatfooting it wasn't so much of a reach problem as it is me having rather narrow hips. As a result, the insides of my thighs get pinched against the seat when trying to flatfoot. I didn't see any gaps between the seat and the frame/fairings, so I assume the seat was in the low position?
Scooching forward to the narrower part of the seat helps reach the ground. But most of the time, I just toe it or flat-foot on one side, and it's really not a problem.

So, what are the folks on the Gladius forum(s?) saying?

JonKerr

Elite Member