Fuel Tank

Bozman

So I got home last night, and in 2 minutes the tank was on the ground. Feel kinda stupid for even asking the question. :p It's nice to have it outa the way but to each their own. Thanks again for all the responses!!!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Not saying it's not possible, I'm saying for ME it was easier just to take off an move out of the way, giving me more room to work without worrying about it falling down. Really wasn't difficult to do and again for ME it was what I wanted to do. Silly or not it's how I wanted to work on my bike. I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do to your bike without removing the tank or other parts of your bike. Might damage it by letting it fall while propped up. Probable no, possible, yes. I wouldn't remove the tank for a 5 minute fix. You do stand the risk of chipping it or scratching it as you do every time you ride it.
So you never tried the tank on, tank back then, I see. Myopic!
To each his own.

I think in my case since the tank is damn near full, I'll remove it. I'd feel a little more comfortable soldering wires that way anyways. :)
Takes an open flame, but who cares, your ride not mine you do as you wish. Oh and anytime you do gas tank off or up it is a good idea to think ahead and empty it or at least don't do it when it is full. You know you can siphon off gas from a tank right?:eek:

While you are under there you can also delete the charcoal canister. The canister is under the bike by the spring/shock. One line goes from the canister up and in between between the throttle bodies, cap that line off. right next to the throttle bodies. The line that goes from the canister to the gas tank needs to be removed from the canister, after that run a new line from that spot on the tank next to the other line from the tank that vents next to the rear brake lever.

I took mine off about 2 weeks ago and I took a few picts to do a write up on how to do it I just haven't gotten around to it yet. If you need the picts let me know and I will post them up.
Don't have one on mine. Cali Forum.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I have done some work by lifting the tank, when I was working in the block offs I didn't want to chance the tank falling. Took like 1 minute to take off. Peace of mind.
I call B.S. bro, I know that tank goes so far back there is no way for it to fall.
It goes back to almost to where it is inches away from, if the rear seat was there, it would touch, with no chance of it falling.
Want to try again bro?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Bozman

yellowfz....... Man you gotta work out some frustrations dude. This whole "big guy on the internet" thing is very uncalled for. Just because someone doesn't take your advice or disagrees with you on a subject doesn't justify you being a d bag. Up your gratitude. To the rest of you I really do appreciate the feedback on this matter and hope you all have a great day!!!

NUISANCE

Wow, what the heck happened between you two :catfight:

I am not surprised the charcoal canister is a Cali only thing, we have the most strict laws when it comes to all to cool stuff including cars, bikes guns etc. At least the women here are better than where you live ;)

If you skip through half the video you can see where he pours out a charcoal canister, the stuff that comes out would normally go in the engine. I took if off for that reason but primarily because I needed that spot for the 02 sensor clip for the auto tuner I installed. When I was going through the bike I think there is a lot of stuff that can be done/modified to make it so that only gas from the tank and clean air go in the engine. When I get some free time I will start looking into this further then begin taking off what I can.

As far as the tank there are probably 15 different ways to do it in the end it comes down to what you feel comfortable doing, what you are able to do and what works for you. I am working on a few how-to-mod threads including securing the tank, removing the charcoal canister, red integrated tail light etc. Maybe they will find how I do it easy maybe they wont.