Fuel Tank

Bozman

2 Wheel Dynoworks is based out of Woodinville and that's within 10 miles of where I am. Their rate I believe is 150. They do a lot of motorcycle shows and Nels is one of the best in the business. He recently went and tuned Marcel Irnie's BMW S1000R for racing and from what the facebook page is saying he's doing quite well. Check them out, their a top notch facility.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bozman

No it doesn't. Not to mention you can get a custom MAP. I like the idea of a 20% HP gain and 3-4 MPG's. Motor is happy happy happy!!!! These bikes run quite lean. BUT, for an entry level bike, that's what you are going to get. :)

NUISANCE

I found there are 2 easy ways to secure the tank in an upward position without taking it off, both involve a small piece of rope. After you loosen the rear bolt raise the front of the tank and loop a rope through the 2 holes and tie a not in it. The other end you can secure to an point in your garage /overhang, tie securely. Or if that isn't possible raise the tank and tie it to the bar under the rear seat. Either one works, I've used them both recently and they are both very secure.

Y

yellowfz

I just raise the tank with pivot blot in the rear still in, taking off the 2 fuel pump wires, putting a rag under the tank at the pivot point to hold it slightly off 90*s, have done this several times no ill effect at all. In fact it looks as if the tank is even designed to be done that way, with the stop plate and bracket.

Bozman

Ya know I have to agree with you on that. It sure does make for an easy access. Only side effect was some fuel out of the vent lines but not anything substantial. But it's also nice to know that there are block off valves to stop the fuel from coming out of the tank.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

You're right it is designed to be pivoted up like that, but sometimes it's just easier to move it completely out of the way. Doesn't take much more time or effort to remove it. If I was just checking the wiring or something quick I'd leave it on, but when I did my block offs I removed it completely.
Have changed plugs, block-off plates, airbox mods, checked TB sync, never had a problem at all, taking it off seems silly, why? Might chip the tank or scratch it taking it off and laying it somewhere.
Yeah when fuel pump is off no fuel comes out.

Y

yellowfz

Ya know I have to agree with you on that. It sure does make for an easy access. Only side effect was some fuel out of the vent lines but not anything substantial. But it's also nice to know that there are block off valves to stop the fuel from coming out of the tank.
If you do it with tank half full no gas will even come out at all.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bozman

I think in my case since the tank is damn near full, I'll remove it. I'd feel a little more comfortable soldering wires that way anyways. :)

NUISANCE

While you are under there you can also delete the charcoal canister. The canister is under the bike by the spring/shock. One line goes from the canister up and in between between the throttle bodies, cap that line off. right next to the throttle bodies. The line that goes from the canister to the gas tank needs to be removed from the canister, after that run a new line from that spot on the tank next to the other line from the tank that vents next to the rear brake lever.

I took mine off about 2 weeks ago and I took a few picts to do a write up on how to do it I just haven't gotten around to it yet. If you need the picts let me know and I will post them up.

applejax

While you are under there you can also delete the charcoal canister. The canister is under the bike by the spring/shock. One line goes from the canister up and in between between the throttle bodies, cap that line off. right next to the throttle bodies. The line that goes from the canister to the gas tank needs to be removed from the canister, after that run a new line from that spot on the tank next to the other line from the tank that vents next to the rear brake lever.

I took mine off about 2 weeks ago and I took a few picts to do a write up on how to do it I just haven't gotten around to it yet. If you need the picts let me know and I will post them up.
Any benefit in doing this ??

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

NUISANCE

I did it mostly because I needed that space for something else. Also, the purpose of the canister is to catch overflow then it get's sucked back in the throttle bodies and burned up. The last thing I want is a gas/charcoal mixture, or even the fumes, getting burned in my engine.

Below is a video talking about why to remove it, NSFW because of language.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H907BjGC0Pc]BMW Service - Charcoal Canister - How & Why to eliminate it - YouTube[/ame]

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Whenever I need to raise my tank,
I just wedge it in place with a 2"x4" at the hinge
-to easy never scratched and dont have to disconnect it