Fuel pump problem, bike not starting

Garvinator

Hey guys,
I hope you can help me out.. I took my tank off to paint it and when I put it back on last month the fuel gauge was not working. I did not mind it but yesterday I had time so I checked it out and tried to fix it. Today the bike wont start. The fuel pump is not working. All the fuses are fine, I hear clicking in the relay and the plug has power when I turn the key on. Is it possible that the pump itself is dead? I may have mixed up the fuel gauge plug and the fuel pump plug at some point when testing the gauge but I am not sure. If so, could it have blown the pump without harming the fuse?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Any chance the wires were strained? They are the weakest link and more often than not, they get stretched beyond their means.

Although the connector "green one" on the fz6 has power, if it is damaged and only has a few strands left, it can show voltage but lack the current carrying capacity to run the motor.

Look at the connector. Black is ground. Ground that side of the pump and power the other side with 12v from the battery. Does it run the motor?

If so, it comes down to a connector repair... there are some links on 600riders.com ....take a look.
A how too and the parts to repair the connector properly.

You need two picks with a fine point. Sharper than these would be best: Pencil is for size reference.
The protrusion from the blue locks are fillers that keep the connectors locked in the housing.

Insert pick here, a curved one works best: Pry on both sides, but over the alignment groove offers best angle/fit:

Once the blue lock is removed a straight pick can be used to release the lock on the individual wires:
The blue arrow is the lock on our connector. Use the pick to get under the tab and lift in the direction of the red arrow. DO NOT pull on the wire until the tab lifts. Apply gentle pry force, then a gentle pull on the wire. If it does not come free, push it back in as you may have bound them already.
**Pulling without release only binds it making it impossible to remove, push the wire back in, lift the tab, pull the wire.

Here is the stock connector in good shape:
It should only fit back in from one direction. Locking is achieved when the rectangle is fully seated into the housing. The wire crimp retention goes opposite the tang in the connector that locks it in place. Then the blue lock holds the assembly together.
SIZE: Externally the connector is 3.00 mm X 2.30 mm Total length is 18 mm it takes a special crimp tool to make that crimp!

As you can see here, a dull pick slipped and tore up this lock. It is still usable.

Two good pries and this one came off: Extracting the pins should only take 20 seconds total if done right:

Wire orientation:
NOTICE the wires into the Green Fuel Pump Power are both the same size while the Fuel Sensor Wire has a Large Ground and Small Sender wire to the fuel Sensor. If all four wires need repair, Order 3X 16 - 18 gauge wire connectors and 1X 20 - 22 gauge wire connector. At 30 cents a connector, ORDER EXTRAS in case your crimp fails!

White: Fuel Sensor
Green: Fuel Pump Power
Black Wire is ground for both!
More links and info for parts sources here: Fuel Pump Connector Repair Information and links

Electrical Section has more links too!

Follow the link here to Corsa-tek and order the parts if you need them.

Garvinator

Thanks a lot ! The problem was in the plug. It was loose enough that the pump wasn't working, but strong enough that the voltmeter was working.

Excellent!
You get the gauge working too? If not, Pop the connector apart and examine the wires.

Garvinator

Yeah it was the same problem as the pump. I took the connectors out and plugged them in without that adaptor end. I will order two new ones but for now it will do !