Fuel cap

LS6TT

Anyone changes their fuel cap? My bike sits out and the lock is getting crusty, toying with changing it out. Thoughts?

latony007

second the buy a cover, however if there is anyway to buy a shed for it or whatever do it. You will make the money back when you goto sell it.

As for the gas cap i think i have seen them on ebay, i just have the cover on it which may help the new one keep from getting stuff, you can see it in this photo.

Attachments

bmw675

I'd stay with a locking cap. A lot of idiots around these days.

LS6TT

Sorry I should clarify, not like a locking one, I'm not worried about any siphon issues here, heck I leave my key in my bike sometimes and nobody touches it, lol. Not sure if that's sad, lol.

But we aren't allowed to have covers, against the apartment hoa rules.

I'm more thinking something that looks cool, different, etc.

LS6TT

bmw675

Sorry I should clarify, not like a locking one, I'm not worried about any siphon issues here, heck I leave my key in my bike sometimes and nobody touches it, lol. Not sure if that's sad, lol.

Siphon would be my least concern. Id be worried about someone just walking off with the cap, or someone throwing stuff in there. There was a recent story on the triumph forum where someone's brakes locked up, both front and rear at the same time. Turns out, someone put gum in the reservoirs.
People are just dirty.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

abyss1406

by crusty you mean rusty? You could try and lube the locking mechanism with WD-40 to free it up

LS6TT

I would seriously fight that one... are they going to pay for the damage from animals, rain, sun damage etc...? A cover has a real purpose...

even something like this, half cover will make the bike last longer:
Access Denied
I don't mind as much I typically rotate it out to be under my carport, but no others have fought it. Hoa in the apartment says no covers, and in your lease you agree that any damage done they are not liable.

Bad weather I typically stick it under a carport that's open so my truck doesn't get hit either.

As for the crust, it almost looks like battery acid, it's real subtle though and yeah WD40 cleared it up a bit.

latony007

I would seriously fight that one... are they going to pay for the damage from animals, rain, sun damage etc...? A cover has a real purpose...

even something like this, half cover will make the bike last longer:
Access Denied
you know what the more i think about it the more i agree with him. i would be ticked, think they should be able to come to some compromise, Offer to take a corner spot, keep it nice and pretty, get whatever color they want, something.

LS6TT

So, the gas cap is siezed.......not happy.....

Anyhow, letting it sit with some penetrating oil in the locking mechanism even though I know it won't work.

Before I break the lock I'm going to have to buy a new gas cap. Has anybody bought the aftermarket keyless ones or even the keyed ones? Thoughts?

How is that against HoA policy? What is the problem with a cover?!? I would say screw them and use one anyways. Lemme ask my friend who is a lawyer to see what he says about this.

Personally I would either tell them to repair it out of their pocket or let you use your cover OR give you a dedicated car port for your bike. Either way, bikes cannot sit in the weather. They are not like cars which have unexposed parts and moving pieces other than door knobs and gas cap.