front end makes a rattling sound

genzai

went outside the morning after new years to see my bike laid over. had it chained up so not sure if someone tried to take it or just neighborhood kids playing on new years. but one of my mirror nuts is missing and i've heard rattling every since. not sure if its from that. because i hear the rattling mostly on the right side when it was the left mirror but my hearings not completely up to par. it stops when i have the clutch in. or when i touch either side of my front end. wanted to take it to the shop but they said they are booked for two weeks and its my only form of trans.

so not sure if its that little nut jostling around somewhere. something else thats loose or just something thats messed up. its running fine though besides that little rattle.

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

Bert-Aus

...You may just get lucky by getting her naked. :p
one would assume success just in that aspect :cool:

TIP to getting anything out of behind the dash, even with the fairings completely removed -use a long screw driver -magnetised bit is preferable

*magnetised screwdriver -DONT buy a magnetised screw driver, just run a magnet over your existing screwdriver for a couple minutes before using

Prelusive

I have a rattle in mine too! Usually when I press on the plastic right below the speedometer it'll stop, but as soon as I take it off she's rattling away. I've considered stuffing a sock or something under there to stop it but just haven't gotten around to it since winter has been around

Bert-Aus

Early on when I first got my XJ6S I had a noticeable rattle, sometimes a hum coming from dash area.
Read somewhere on here about something similar.
Simple fix was to remove the windscreen & run a small bead of silicon under the tips of the windscreen, around the jewel light, where it is unsupported.
Replace the windscreen quickly & wipe of any excess.

Side note to this is to leave a gap in the silicone at the bottom most points to allow for moisture to drain out