From FZ6R to Liter Bike

Cmltoe

Hey Gentlemen and Ladies,

As I find myself spending more time in the forum for my new motorcycle (BMW S1000RR), I wanted to make sure I thanked the good folks of this forum for the welcoming atmosphere you've created here that encourages people to learn how to ride intelligently, and at their own pace. You've truly built a special place here.

I figured the best way I could say thank you was to try and educate some new riders, the same way this site helped educate me when I first got my FZ6R. So below, I've listed a brief first impression of what it's like to move to a liter bike from the FZ6R, since we frequently question the practicality of a liter bike for street use.

Most Important Learning: I will never regret having the FZ6R as my first bike. Furthermore, it is a decision that I and my motorcycling friends continue to be proud of. We all agree it is what kept me alive through my first season.

Now keeping in mind that I've moved to 180 rear wheel horsepower WITH traction/wheelie control, anti lock brakes, quick shifter (no clutch for up shifts) and 4 modes to restrict power based on your experience level, here are my first impressions of moving to a liter bike:

Having power throughout the band, makes you not sweat going into a turn too slow. You know you can hit the throttle and increase speed by 20 MPH, while leaned over, in a split second (and with traction control preventing a high side:D. At the same time, because the throttle is so responsive, if you do happen to let off the throttle and lose your suspension, a quick twist engages your suspension in the blink of an eye. With the FZ6R, if I let off, I felt like the turn was lost and I couldn't recover in time due to the slower response throttle.

Target fixation will kill you. With the liter bike, if you're looking through the turn and decide to glance at the side of the road, you ARE on the side of the road a second later. :eek:It is not fun discovering this. This has probably been the scariest thing. If you don't stay focused through the turn, you immediately go wherever your eyes wander.

While these machines may be fast, their brakes are so above and beyond that you can pretty much brake your way out of any errors (entering the turn too hot etc...). The first time I engaged the brakes, I almost went over the handlebars. This becomes a great asset, knowing that you can always stop quickly (and with anti locking brakes).

You're pretty much doing 90 MPH all of the time. This is the one area that I think supports the argument that these things are not practical for the street. My bike probably does 100 MPH in first gear and I've never been above 4th gear yet. At the same time, having to shift much less (because power is everywhere) does allow you to focus more on things like turning.

When you countersteer, the bike dives IMMEDIATELY. The first few outings make you feel like the bike is bored of you. You press those handlebars the same way you do with the FZ6R and you are in the opposing lane of traffic on a left turn.

Sure it's uncomfortable, but not as bad as you would think. After about an hour on the FZ6r, the only things hurting were my knees. On this, the wrists go first (forces you to work on correct riding position), then my hips start cramping, and then the knees. Light on the handlebars tends to help everything. And it's kind of cool to feel like a jockey on a horse. :)

So there you have it. Hopefully this helps someone weighing the decision to move to a liter bike.

Thank you all for what you've built here. I'll be sure to stop in every once in a while to check out Rook's vids, get educated by Jspansel (AKA, the most welcoming moderator I've seen) and laugh at CC, the most energetic poster to ever live. And I'll leave you with some pics of my new baby, including my first ever mod (wheel rim stickers). Safe riding!

Attachments

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

DakinechicK

LOVE that bike! Too big for me though. :(

Congrats on the upgrade. Enjoy it and be safe!!

Rookasaki

Beautiful bike... Would love to have it, but you all know how I ride. :D
I need to stay with my 6R!

Nice write up brother.... Swing by now and then :)

va_bank

I have been through several bikes in several years and have formed an opinion it's not about the CCs but about the purpose of your riding. I need my 1000 V-Strom when accelerating up a steep mountain past a 1977 buick with my wife and luggage on the bike. But I hate the size, weight and a punchy throttle when I'm stuck in a morning rush hour going to work. This is why I'm looking at FZ6R. When I get it, It'll be the smallest displacement bike that I ever owned, which will not bother me in the least.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

WhiteFZ

I love it! I went from daily riding the wife's FZ6R to my CBR 954RR. Good on ya!

Rookasaki

Congrats on owning the baddest production bike on the planet. If I was going to get a liter bike that would be the one. It's one of my dream bikes, but I don't trust myself enough to not lose my licence. If I have aprox 200bhp I'm gonna use 200bhp, ha ha.

Enjoy the bike. I'll live vicariously through you, so you better keep posting here.
haha same here... I'd use all those ponies! :D

rahuljp

:D Nice Ride man...! Sucks that we only got to ride once together cos of scheduling conflicts... !

Hit me up if you are down for another ride!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

DragonBlu

I have been through several bikes in several years and have formed an opinion it's not about the CCs but about the purpose of your riding. I need my 1000 V-Strom when accelerating up a steep mountain past a 1977 buick with my wife and luggage on the bike. But I hate the size, weight and a punchy throttle when I'm stuck in a morning rush hour going to work. This is why I'm looking at FZ6R. When I get it, It'll be the smallest displacement bike that I ever owned, which will not bother me in the least.
Beautiful bike Cmltoe. Enjoy that hp and ride safe. I have been from small to Liter and back to FZ6R. I enjoyed the hp but like the midsize bikes more.

JSP

Super Moderator
Absolutely beautiful machine! I am jealous! Thanks for the write up and the kind words. Stick around. ;):thumbup:

Cmltoe

It's one of my dream bikes, but I don't trust myself enough to not lose my licence.
First day out putting it through its paces, I find myself doing 130 MPH and feeling like I'm just cruising. As I approach my exit, there's a cop under the exit sign clocking me. Thank goodness for amazing brakes........

Spunky99

Did ya get the recall notice yet?;)

Cmltoe

Did ya get the recall notice yet?;)
Nope! I have the 2011 which isn't affected. But man do I feel for these guys. You drop $17K on a bike, you're about to start making payments, and the dealer can't even release it to you. The issue that all of the folks at s1000rr forum are worrying about is they don't want an unqualified BMW dealer rebuilding their engine. Apparently the ratio of BMW master technicians is less than 1 per dealer so some folks are trying to demand that BMW ship the bikes back to the factory. I think we all know that aint gonna happen.