Freakin' squids!!

Roaddawg

So I need to rant and vent a little. Here's my story:

I commute into San Francisco every day 102 miles round trip. I ride almost every single day unless I know it's gonna rain. Anyways, I feel that I'm a pretty good, considerate, and experienced rider. I feel very comfortable splitting traffic and feel that (98% of the time) I split safely and efficiently.

Well, today, on my way home, I'm splitting traffic on Hwy 80 over the Bay Bridge like I always do. I saw two motorcycles back behind me a few car lengths cruising along with me. They had numerous times to go around me but didn't and just cruised along. I have no problems moving out of the way of riders that want to fly through traffic, but these two behind me seemed content. As we get to the MacArthur Maze were 880, 580 and 80 all meet, I again continue to split traffic.

The traffic in the car pool lane is now doing about 45-50 MPH with some slowing and the lanes to the right are under 10 MPH stop-and-go. I have a big bus in front of me and it is by no means safe to pass between the stops cars and the bus. After less than a half a mile, the bus moves to the right lane and I go around. I then speed up and catch up to the other traffic. I go around a couple cars here and there over the next half miles, as we are moving at 45-55 MPH in the car pool lane and still under 10 MPH in the other lanes when suddenly....

...three jackasses on sport bikes go screaming around me and the other two guys behind me. One of them comes within inches of my right side. They are going 70+ MPH through the traffic! I then move all the way to the left of the lane and wave the other bikers behind me to pass....I want to get home too, but I'm not in that much of a hurry.

After about 2 miles, I end up catching back up to two of the three guy that screamed by me. Both would qualify for Jon Kerr's "What not to wear" thread.

I've never had issues with bikes and splitting in the past, and its guys like this that really make our sport look bad. It also pissed me off that they would disrespect a fellow rider like that. It was very apparent that the one guy zipped right by me was trying to be a dick. I just don't get it. I sometimes ride a little bit like a hooligan, but I would never ride that way around other bikers as we are all trying to get through traffic. You have enough cagers to worry about to have to worry about some squid flying up behind you and passing stopped traffic at 70+ MPH.

And the worst part was, I was kinda hoping one of them would of dumped it into the side of a car, just so I could ride by and say..."See, you fu*king idiot!!"

OK, done ranting.....beer time!!:iconbeer:

Rcnewton

Well just glad you made it out in one piece. I had a squid if you check out my post domino my bike in a parking lot.

Rookasaki

And the worst part was, I was kinda hoping one of them would of dumped it into the side of a car, just so I could ride by and say..."See, you fu*king idiot!!"
Felt that way a few times brother! Glad you're ok. Thanks for the story! Vent anytime... here's to you :iconbeer:

Bay area rider

we need to go out and enjoy the wine country routes bro...

glad you stayed safe and kept your cool...

hey what goes around comes around... they'll learn their lesson :eek:

CDN6R

we need to go out and enjoy the wine country routes bro...

glad you stayed safe and kept your cool...

hey what goes around comes around... they'll learn their lesson :eek:
I hope they learn their lesson,,but they probably won't until something tragic happens. It just make me angry because this kind of action makes all us "sport bike" riders look bad in Joe public's eyes. The majority of people think the our bikes are "those damn crotch rockets" and we get tared and feathered with the rest.:(