Flat Tire

RoadTrip

Well, after 20K+ miles, I experienced something new - a completely flat tire occurred during my ride, and no flag went off in my head. So, yeah, I just kept on riding at standard sportbike speeds, with all this head shake and wobbliness, I was like 'wow, this windy day and old tire are really adding up to some busy bike movement', but I just kept the brass balls going without any particular concern.

Well, I decided to check the tire just the same at the next gas stop, holy moly it was totally flat, I put a guage on it and it wouldn't even register any psi, I tried to drain the remaining air so I could pull the schraeder and put a bottle of goo (Ride On) in there, and virtually no air came out. The rim was not even damaged and the tire (BT-016) wasn't even shredded, went ahead and rode another hour on it with the temporary repair to the tire shop where I was cooincidentally headed anyway for a new rear tire (so that worked out).

I guess I traded another luck coin for experience coin and get to ride another day, so yeah my brain didn't raise a flag (disappointed), but now I know what excessive wobbles may indicate for next time.

Glad you did not eat it man!

Raises a question I have often wondered about -- what do yuo do with a flat tire?

I keep a tire plugger kit in my top case, along with a CO2 inflator and a few cartridges. If the hole is close to the sidewall, I'd use Slime or Ride-On (Ride-On also claims to balance the tire, and they tell you to put it in *before* you have a flat -- it'll supposedly balance the tire, and *if* you get a puncture, automatically seal it).

These are temp fixes, only good enough (IMHO) to get you home, and/or to the tire shop.

Back