Flat tire fiasco!

Roaddawg

Just a little story I wanted to share.

Lesson learned: GET A EMERGENCY PLUG KIT!!!!

A couple weeks ago, I was riding home from work. It was a beautiful day in the mid 90's, so I decided to take the short scenic way home (only about 14 miles instead of 10). I was on a two lane highway (55 mph max) and made a right turn onto a side street that would take me through some country roads along the vineyards. As I made the right turn, I felt my rear tire to seem a little 'squirrely'. I pulled over and noticed my tire was a little low. (it was fine when I left work) At this point, I was about 4-5 miles from home.

I decided to ride real slow on the shoulder to get up to a little side back road and off the main road. After doing about another 2 miles at 15-20 mph on backroads, I pulled over and noticed it was almost completely flat. I sent my wife a text telling her where I was and what was going on, I decided to slowly limp it down the road the remaining 2-3 miles I had to go. I made it home without any damage to my bike. The tire stayed together and didn't shred off or get cut by the rim. I was afraid the rim would eventually slice the deflated sidewalls and the main tread would come off...but, it didn't.

I understand that this wasn't the best thing to do, but I was the best choice at the given the location and time. I don't have tow coverage on the bike, don't have a plug kit, and it would have been a few hours to get someone to go to my home and get my truck and ramps and then help me load it. So, I didn't have many options and I wasn't going to leave it on the side of the road out in the country.

Anyways, I think I picked up a nail in the middle of the tire tread and with the high heat that day, it worked itself loose quickly. It was kind of lucky that it happened where it did. Had I not taken the scenic route, I would have been on the freeway when the tire lost air....and, that would have not been fun.

What sucks is the tire only had about 3-4K miles on it and plenty of tread left. Oh well....new tire came in today, so off to get it mounted tomorrow...yeah.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

yep... picked up a plug kit and a CO2 kit a while back...
Did you manage to store that under the seat? If so, how (pics)? I was thinking about it but the kits I've seen are too big...

Wooster

I've got one of those emergency tire repair kits myself. The problem is it's too large to fit under the seat with the stock tool kit in there so I find myself never carrying it unless I'm on a long trip and I have my tank bag with me.

For $10 I have some sort of roadside coverage on my insurance. Not sure what it entails, but I'm hoping they fix flats if it ever happens.

Spunky99

Roaddawg, you got me thinking.
It cost 195.00 to tow my bike home after my last incident and it was maybe 2 miles. Since I abhor plugs and would not ride at freeway speeds with them or go do the Snake at Mulholland with them in I decided maybe I should get a kit for emergency road repair to get my butt home.
I carry a Co2 kit with patches and a fresh dollar bill in my road bicycle for emergencies but nothing in my motorcycle. So I saw this kit with mushroom plugs and I got a woodie....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZJ2W6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Tubeless Tire Plugger with CO2 1001: Automotive[/ame]

I think I can fit that into my tiny storage area...barely....

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

actually... another topic that came up... guy said he carried the...uhm... the stuff that makes your blood clot??? some package of stuff, can't remember the name, but he carried that and a compression bandage in his pocket for a VA-TX trip years ago... that plus the tire kit...
Plasma?!?!?!?! :eek: I thought (like blood) that it has to stay cooled?

Roaddawg

Roaddawg, you got me thinking.
It cost 195.00 to tow my bike home after my last incident and it was maybe 2 miles. Since I abhor plugs and would not ride at freeway speeds with them or go do the Snake at Mulholland with them in I decided maybe I should get a kit for emergency road repair to get my butt home.
I carry a Co2 kit with patches and a fresh dollar bill in my road bicycle for emergencies but nothing in my motorcycle. So I saw this kit with mushroom plugs and I got a woodie....

Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Tubeless Tire Plugger with CO2 1001: Automotive

I think I can fit that into my tiny storage area...barely....
I'm glad my story sparked some thoughts about your own predicaments. Before this, I thought...."Oh, I check my bike over good all the time and keep the maintenance up...I don't need a plug kit..." Wish I had one of these the other day. It's definitely something to have and I'm gonna get one. Cheaper than a tow (and safer too, unless they bring a flat bed tow). I would have at least been able to limp it home more safely, if not just ridden home normal all together.

Roaddawg

Not plasma....haha There's different types of clotting agents you can use. Some in powder form and spray form. The military uses them in the field, obviously for combat field trauma. And, I've seen the spray for used for sport injuries, like a small cut or scratch. Here's a website to give you an idea: Blood Stoppers | KytoStat by Hemcon® | QR Quick Relief Powder | Wound Seal Powder | Stop Bleeding Instantly | First-Aid-Product.com

Dart, thanks for this idea. Don't know if I would carry it all the time, but for long trips or rides out in the sticks...nice to have for that 'just in case' moment.

Deathdiesel

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Quikclot-Advanced-Clotting-Bleeding-Package/dp/B001BCNTHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342240638&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+clot]Amazon.com: Quikclot Sport Brand Advanced Clotting Sponge ,Stop Bleeding Fast, 50 Gram Package: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member