FINALLY! First ride!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Every manual I have read and teaching guide says to lift up slightly when going over bumps for the reason below.

I completely agree! I will be doing a lot more riding alone before wifey sits with me again.
I was riding pretty hard on a very small road through lots of trees one day. The road was very shaded and hard to see bumps. I hit one bump so hard i came completely off of the bike. If I would not have reacted and held onto the bars, I would have flown completely off of the bike, it bucked me that hard.

If I would have seen the bump and lifted my ass off the seat a bit, The bike would have bounced but not thrown all that force into me making me do the same movement and off the bike. The swingarm and my pivot in my knees would have soaked up the force instead.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

redprodigy35

I've got a season on the ride and still haven't welcomed a passenger.
I think some of my close calls wouldn't have ended in my favor if I was 2 up, especially the first few hundred miles.
To each his own, just sayin ;) Good luck with the riding!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

DakinechicK

^^^ HEY! Rook LOVES to catch air! You should get together! :D:D:D

buzzbomb

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

fltdriver

I think there's a misunderstanding, someone thinks "getting up" means the bike when in fact he means lifting his butt off of the seat. And no, lifting your butt will not ruin a tire. Catching air/doing wheelies can, though.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Last edited:

applejax

Exactly, thanks for the clarification.

Update, I've been riding it a lot, rode it to ork today and will again tomorrow. I am loving it! Bike rides great and I finally broke 75mph today. Though it was only to get up to the speed of traffic.

I have about 150 miles or so of riding under my belt and I never want to get off.
When we going riding ? Im a slow conservative rider.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member