Fiance's wanting a bike, little help on choosing the right one?

Superfly

I think she should shop for a lightly used CBR125. They pop up all the time and you can get riding cheap and they are bomb proof. Its easy for someone to watch motorcycling and say "oh thats going to be too slow for me" but never have even ridden before. Take the safety course and try a few bikes out first. Thats the best way to know what you'll be capable of handling...

Second choice for me would be the new CBR250. But you're going to pay more since there will be no used ones.

Hondas are imo better than the Ninja 250/400. That 400 is pretty big in size for a 98lb rider.

If she doesnt like the 125 show her this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t04fEGYQQg]YouTube - Honda CBR125R Challenge at Mosport[/ame]

behindXgrnXeyes

Without going through and reading all the comments, I just wanted to toss my 2 cents in being a beginner rider

You are right, if the bike goes down, she wont be able to catch it mid fall and bring it back up....but if you think about it, alot of ppl cant cuz they have overly huge bikes, like the cruisers. So really, the only thing to pervent that is the sliders...I dropped mine on the 2nd day, thought the kickstand was down and it wasn't, went past the point of no return and that was it, but all that happend was one dot in the plastics and one scrab on the handle bar..NO damage at all.

I'm 5'5, never rode a bike before and got the 09 fz6r as my first bike. I didnt need a lowering link after I put my boot one, but i think im the shortest one should go without.

I love this bike, great first bike if you ask me for a couple of reasons. Mostly its forgiving nature and loads of untapped power that youll only start to touch with experience, making it a bike that will not grow old in a month, or even at all!

Thats my only opinion, im down for her to get a FZ6R, put some sliders on it, take the driving course...and I think all will be fine :D

longtube55

first bike

I don't consider myself a highly experienced rider, to date I really only have about 4 yrs worth of seat time. My first bike was a hand down from my dad, 1981 Yamaha 650 Maxim, it weighed the same as the 6R and had close to the same powerband. When I first started looking for a new bike all my friends were telling me to get a ninja 650r. I thought about it for close to 3 months and then I heard about the Yamaha and I fell in love with it. I didn't even test drive it I just bought it.

A couple months later my friend bought a used 650r, and when he took it to get it inspected and tires mounted I tested a new 250r. The sales guy even took the time to put a Yosh slip on pipe on it. 25 miles later I came back into the dealership with a smile on my face. The sales guy thought I was going to buy it but I told him I was used to the power of my 600 and wasn't going back.

However, though all of the test drive I never felt like the 250 was underpowered, and the thing handled like a champ. I'm 5'9" and around 165lb. So to say that I would be to big for a 250 is a lie. And seeing as your girl only weighs 98lbs. I can promise you she will love the Ninja 250r. So by all means, go for it.

She never rode a bike before so get her a used Ninja 500 R, that should be good enough to get her going and in a year upgrade.

Sparkxx1

Lol get the 250, she is under 100 lbs and will fly :D. When she is ready to take on a bigger bike that's fine...My friend is 200 lbs and is currently on a 250, he loves it and isn't pushing it right now.

If you do get a 6r then put on slider right away. She will drop it, not because she isn't careful but because this bike is SO balanced that you forget it weighs almost 500 lbs. Once it reaches its tipping point it will judo flip her like it did to me. I'm only 130 lbs and sometimes I have a hard time walking and turning the bike.

The 250 is a MUCH more forgiving bike when doing U-turns and taking corners, if you mess up you don't have to struggle to keep it up, just a little wiggle and the bike is upright and ready to go.

Superfly

Exactly...its not so much the weight riding its the parking and turning around slowly that really gets tricky for small riders. My FZ6R is tougher to push around than my 999. I dont think many folks consider that when purchasing a bike. Its always more power wins:cool:

NoDoze

Exactly...its not so much the weight riding its the parking and turning around slowly that really gets tricky for small riders. My FZ6R is tougher to push around than my 999. I dont think many folks consider that when purchasing a bike. Its always more power wins:cool:
That is so true! I don't know what it is but our bikes are weirdly top heavy. My friend's sv650s (fully faired) is only 32LBS lighter than our bikes and it's so easy to push and move from side to side while standing beside it. Last time I checked 32 pounds isn't really heavy.

anson650

More important than her size is her experience. How much has she ridden?
She has to feel comfortable. If she gets a bike too big she'll be afraid of it. I suggest, in order, the new Honda 250 single, the 250 Ninja, a 500 Ninja.
My daughter rode a little scooter for 2 years. When she got on a XS650 Yamaha she was tough to keep up with.
Which ever she gets, good luck,
Anson

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jgangoo

Got for Ninja 250

With her wieght I dont think she will outgrow it soon. Moreover its compact, friendly and has got enough power to put a grin. And it's the world's most selling learners bike.

Sparkxx1

That is so true! I don't know what it is but our bikes are weirdly top heavy. My friend's sv650s (fully faired) is only 32LBS lighter than our bikes and it's so easy to push and move from side to side while standing beside it. Last time I checked 32 pounds isn't really heavy.
I think our center of gravity is just higher, I'm not exactly sure what that tells us about the bike, but I think that's pretty much it.

JG92

The Suzuki 500 GSF is a nice bike but its a little high in the seat. My friend is short and he has a ninja 250 and it keeps up just fine with the rest of us on 600s btw Honda just came out with the CBR 250, a very sporty looking bike for a 250. She could probably handle the FZ6R but there is no reason too unless she wants to go fast. The new CBR has an ABS option which from what Ive heard is a very nice feature. Just some ideas.

Tabitha

I bought this bike as my first motorcycle. Personally, I think this is a great bike to start out and learn on, and 2 years later still has the shit and get that I want. She and I are the same height, although I out weigh her a bit. I have a 30 inch inseam and when wearing run of the mill riding boots am flat foot. It's not so much about her overall height as it is the length of her legs. There are boots out there with stable heels (ie, wedge heels and chunky heels) that can give her some added height without throwing off her balance, as say a daintier heel (ie, stilleto) would. As to her weight, if she is a rough and tumble kind of girl at heart, and not a prissy princess she'll be fine.

Let her take the MSF course FIRST and then she will have more of an idea of what size of bike she is comfortable with. Only she can truely know what is the right decision for her. Just help her do her research to see what is out there and if she is confindent that this is the bike for her, let her get it.

Last edited:

Patek86

I agree. The GS500F would be a great bike for her and the price is really reasonable. She'll be able to ride on the highway without feeling that its lacking power, but it wont be too much for a small girl.

Its not ugly, but its not going to win any beauty pageants. However, anything under 600cc will probably be lacking in sex appeal.

Good luck with getting her what she wants, but I agree that the FZ6r will be too much bike for a small and new rider.

Patek86

I agree. The GS500F would be a great bike for her and the price is really reasonable. She'll be able to ride on the highway without feeling that its lacking power, but it wont be too much for a small girl.

Its not ugly, but its not going to win any beauty pageants. However, anything under 600cc will probably be lacking in sex appeal.

Good luck with getting her what she wants, but I agree that the FZ6r will be too much bike for a small and new rider.

iceman

I just sold my Ninja 500 and It is a great Bike plenty of power!
For your Fiance I a would go with the CBR 250 awesome bike!

Good luck

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

iSpoolin

Thanks for the advice everybody, and just so everybody knows, shes NOT a rough and tough girl lol shes a beauty pagenet chick ( and shes won quite a few) basically she flexes her arm and Nothing changes lol

Im takin her to the dealer this evening to check out a ninja 250 and see what she thinks

Sparkxx1

When I was 11 yo, my dad got me a Honda CT125. That thing was like a tank and weight pretty much just as much. My legs were about 1 ft too short. I had a "stoping station" that consist of 2 wood logs. When I was getting stuck in the middle of nowhere in a trail... I deal with it and manage to work around the vertical challenge. One thing sure, I wasn't going to park the bike until I grow up!
Lol That's the kind of Dad I want to be when I have a child :D:D:D

My dad always tried teaching me to drive at like 10, but he has no patience for anything or anybody unfortunately. if it wasn't for my grandmother (who is 70 and still rides her motorcycle ;) It would have taken longer to get my drivers license and longer still to learn to ride!

Thanks for the advice everybody, and just so everybody knows, shes NOT a rough and tough girl lol shes a beauty pagenet chick ( and shes won quite a few) basically she flexes her arm and Nothing changes lol

Im takin her to the dealer this evening to check out a ninja 250 and see what she thinks
She might not like the 250 up close and think of it as weak ;) have her take the msf course before you get the bike.

Superfly

beauty queen eh?? hmmm why was it you dont want her hanging on to you tightly again? I forget:iconbeer: