Failed skills test

anticsd

practice feathering your clutch and use rear brake. Try not to let your clutch completely out because it just gives too much acceleration for that tight of a turn.

xleeb0y13x

practice feathering your clutch and use rear brake. Try not to let your clutch completely out because it just gives too much acceleration for that tight of a turn.
That's the plan. I have a DMV about 10 minutes from me I can hit up on the weekend. Gonna spend some time out there this weekend. And more depending on when the next appointment I can get is.

Sent from the second bathroom stall to the left.

EastBay

The skills test is difficult and it should be. I do think no matter how long you have riding the Safety Training Course is a must. I've been riding since 1961 and I took the course with a Grandson and learned a lot. Very worthwhile.

4 months as a rider is not long enough.

BKP

There's an MSF course called "Bond with your Bike" (or something of that nature) that I took with a buddy... This class had those serpentine/circle tests, except in three different runs, with gradually reduced diameter circles. They called them lollipops. One poor guy with a fully chromed Harley dropped it, and smashed his tank in... so don't feel too bad.

You might want to look into it, if it's near you. Good practice, and they provide the bikes, if you don't want to bring your own. One day class, about $120... worth the practice...

Or set up cones in a parking lot, and a little sidewalk chalk for the circle. Use a string/rope to mark a perfect circle (someone stands in the center holding one end, you walk the other end around, while marking the asphalt). It's like location, location, location in real estate... 'cept this is practice, practice, practice.

Good luck on the next shot...

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

latony007

mopeds

If you really need to hit the freeway and just want to get it done like someone else said you can go on craigslist, at least here in the L.A. area and rent a moped or scooter to take the test with no clutch at all. Breeze around the circle in a minute and your done. They will even meet you at the DMV with it and let you practice on it a half hour before your test. I almost did it but wound up doing in on my cruiser pretty easy after a few practice trips.

rregal

MSF Basic Rider Course

Dude, you are a Californian so you should take the weekend MSF Basic Rider Course and get the riding skills certificate to take to the DMV for your license. You will get two days of riding skill drills by professional instructors and they provide the 250cc motorcycle. You most likely get a discount on your insurance. The skills and insights gained in this course are invaluable and will help you survive on the road.

I also recommend you buy the DVD “A Twist of the Wrist ll” which will give you a lot of insight on the science of riding and to take your skills to the next level.

Alex6

I'm just wondering how Lorenzo did on his driving test last year? Hope he passed and got his bike license...

glorp

hopefully not a dumb question...at low speed manouvering I stand on the pegs (yes, more dirt bike riding) is that allowed during your test?

chrisnlb

I took the msf course. the first time I took the class I got kicked out. the second time I didnt pass and got a very bad score. It was raining that day also the msf instructor I had was a real ***, thought he was general patton and ordered us around like in boot camp. anyway, after that a friend took me out (on his cruiser) to practice in an empty parking lot. I practiced doing circles, start/stop, shifting, etc. Then took the msf class again (on a clear day, different instructor) and passed. my advise is never give up ;)

Last edited: