Earthquake in D.C.

Roaddawg

Being here in California, we're just use to quakes. You don't really hear about them until they get well over 6.0. Of course we are more prepared for quakes. Our building codes have all kind of earthquake structure stuff in them.

When I was in the Air Force, I was going through training in Oklahoma and Texas and I remember when people found out I was from California, they always asked, "Aren't you scared of earthquakes...you know you guys are gonna break off and fall in the ocean someday..." I just laughed and told them I was more scared of tornadoes they had then any earthquake I've been through. Of course the next question was, "Do you surf?"

kevin8198

Elite Member

AngryAnt

In all seriousness, if it snowed one inch I'd probably get off work. Then again, I can count the times I've seen snow down here in my lifetime on one hand. On the other hand I've been directly under at least three different tornadoes, and two cat 5 hurricanes, but they don't bother me...I find it kinda interesting to watch 100 year old Oaks get plucked out of the ground :eek:

jb200800

What earthquake?!?

Yeah, felt the quake and didn't really think anything of it. I can't believe it was a 5.9 or something...

CrazyCawi

If you ever visit the South / Southeast, you'll find out everybody here is gun shy of everything. You mention "earthquake", its the end of the world. You mention "blizzard", its a "snowocalypse", and you mention hurricane, everybody is still gun shy from katrina and stocks up 2 months worth of water, can food, and gas.

It never ceases to amaze me how if it snows 1/2" in the winter, literally, EVERYTHING shuts down for a day or two, meanwhile northerners laugh...
I dont even put my boots on for 1/2" lol :surrender:

sbhoopsfan

Shook our entire office building in NJ, pretty freaky

24KMACH

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SEbiMimShg&feature=related]Elvis Presley - All Shook Up - YouTube[/ame]

lwclancers

I work in a building directly across from Dulles airport. I also grew up in Alaska (who by the way get more earthquakes than CA ;-) )

Anyway, I was only on the 2nd floor of our building and it shook and swayed like a bitch. The person next to me just looked at me in awe and I said we need to leave. On our way out 6 people were standing in front our HR managers office...I was like WTF is he going to do? I literally walked by everyone on my way out, they were just dumbfounded.

I was actually relieved when I realized it was an earthquake cause my first reaction was something happened at the airport cause its literally just a couple hundred yards away.

JonKerr

Elite Member

jay

yep, it was pretty nasty.. and it did'nt occur to me untill the guy next to my cube started saying .. hey something is shaking.. and then it rattled real bad.. , funny thing was that despite all desaster preparedness drills.. when it really happened no body even turned the buzzers/flashers on.. lol. local news showed videos of some damage at the tysons mall VA and at Mineral VA

lwclancers

LOL I keep reading this in some news stories. But you have to realize there isnt a single building around here built for any sort of earthquake event. This was also the largest seismic event in this area in over a century. You also have to understand the closer this area gets to 9-11 the more people freak out about anything weird going on. (The news is also extremely bored with the govt on vacation lol :surrender: )

Also, if someplace like southern CA got say, 2 inches of snow, everyone there would be freaking out, and we would be laughing ;-)

5.6? Sorry if this sounds indelicate, but that aint nothing. ;) We have those all the time out here and it's no big deal. One hits the east coast and it's national news. lol. Sit through a 7.2 that hits 50 miles away, then we'll talk.

Seriously I hope nobody sustained any damage.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

roadrat

I live in San Diego County like John Kerr and we were getting a kick out of the fact the East coast was freaking so hard over a 5.6... and it's true if you've never been in a quake it's pretty scary! Still, we were teasing some people on the east coast and sent them this:

DC Earthquake Devastation - jmckinley's posterous

Spunky99

I've been thrown off my bed against the wall before. Hurt like hell.
Lost 1/2 the bathwater onto the floor one time.
I've had to stop on the freeway when all the traffic stopped and I got sea sick while the freeway rolled for about a minute.
Come on down to Cali for some real earth movement...

Keep the hurricanes, Tornados and blizzards tho.....

JonKerr

Elite Member