Drive Sprocket Retaining Nut

Funkmaxtor

Yesterday was amazing weather, so I decided to go for a ride. I checked the air pressure in both my tires and put the swing arm stand in place to clean and lube the chain. As I am spinning the tire and wiping down the chain I notice that the chain is not riding on or near the chain guide on the top of the swing arm.

So I removed the cover over the drive sprocket and noticed that the retaining nut that holds the drive sprocket in place is missing, not loose but MISSING! I was mad at first that it was gone then I realized how lucky I was for the chain and sprocket not flying off while I was going down the road. I'm thinking about drilling through the shaft and putting a cotter pin through it.

Just glad the chain :zombie: didn't bite!

P.S. I just had to use that zombie!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Deanohh

also a washer that goes on the shaft before the nut.. The reccomended locktite, nut torque and staking the nut on the shaft is enough to hold the nut if properly done.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

^ What they said.

The cotter pin would snap imo. There is a ton of pressure on the sprockets that turn your wheel.

ScottM

Hey Funk:

Had you taken that nut off and reinstalled or was it "factory fresh"?

I changed the front sprocket on my bike 4000 miles ago. Used blue loctite and indented the notch area. I am wondering if I should reinspect.

MikeN02

Hey Funk:

Had you taken that nut off and reinstalled or was it "factory fresh"?

I changed the front sprocket on my bike 4000 miles ago. Used blue loctite and indented the notch area. I am wondering if I should reinspect.
I believe you should be fine. Also would helped if you torqued it down.

Funkmaxtor

I had changed the sprockets and chain two years ago. I did stake the nut to the shaft but apparently not well enough. After seeing this I plan on inspecting this a little more often. Yea when I ordered the nut I ordered the washer as well. But good catch. Thanks!